The Student Room Group

Software Enginner Degree Apprenticeship Or Degree from top uni?

Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys thought about Accenture/Capgemini's Degree Apprenticeships. I'm torn between going to the University of Surrey for computer science and doing a degree apprenticeship at one of the above companies, and then topping up by doing a masters in computer science if I have difficulty finding work after.

As I've found it the Pro's of going to Surrey are:

Accredited and widely recognised degree

Career support & gap year placement

good stats on WhatUni (Majority of grads on £30,000 after degree)

Not tied down to one specific industry within computer science

Cons:

Probably just cost (around £50,000 but its paid back slowly so isn't really a big deal)

Pro's of the Degree Apprenticeship are:

All training & degree is paid for

+ a wage (not sure how much, some sites were saying £12,000 starting)

Can possibly pay for a masters after completing the degree apprenticeship and trying to move into a different area within software engineering.

Cons:

Possibility of being tied down to Accenture, or having to pay back once I leave.

Site note: I haven't got an offer from Accenture/Capgemini, Just on the final stages and am just trying to weight out the pros and cons of the routes I can take from my A-levels

Thanks
Reply 1
The Capgemini degree apprenticeship starts at around £16,000 and a phone/laptop I'm pretty sure. I've applied and am through to the assessment centre for a Degree Apprenticeship (with another company) and if I get it, I'll take it over the offer I have from a current Uni (though it isn't Russell group). Overall, your prospects are better if you've been working for the 4 years of your Apprenticeship and then gain your degree. (In my opinion). Also, how are you tied down? Pretty sure and correct me if I'm wrong, if you aren't happy there you can apply for Uni the year after.
Original post by billy690
Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys thought about Accenture/Capgemini's Degree Apprenticeships. I'm torn between going to the University of Surrey for computer science and doing a degree apprenticeship at one of the above companies, and then topping up by doing a masters in computer science if I have difficulty finding work after.

As I've found it the Pro's of going to Surrey are:

Accredited and widely recognised degree

Career support & gap year placement

good stats on WhatUni (Majority of grads on £30,000 after degree)

Not tied down to one specific industry within computer science

Cons:

Probably just cost (around £50,000 but its paid back slowly so isn't really a big deal)

Pro's of the Degree Apprenticeship are:

All training & degree is paid for

+ a wage (not sure how much, some sites were saying £12,000 starting)

Can possibly pay for a masters after completing the degree apprenticeship and trying to move into a different area within software engineering.

Cons:

Possibility of being tied down to Accenture, or having to pay back once I leave.

Site note: I haven't got an offer from Accenture/Capgemini, Just on the final stages and am just trying to weight out the pros and cons of the routes I can take from my A-levels

Thanks

Well I just finished a Software Engineering course so i have a lot to say but I'll keep it short.

The apprenticeship route would probably be better for quick employment, to get a job in this industry it is more important to demonstrate your ability than to have a degree, the apprenticeship will probably hook you up with a nice Github account where you can put loads of code projects in and show to employers because that's the main idea of apprenticeships, to get you a job.

The degree on the other hand would be better if you want to be a visionary/pioneer/entrepreneur because it will give you more knowledge and insight and let you work with cutting edge technology, especially at Surrey. i know that Surrey is leading the world with 5G Mobile Network research so if you make some waves in that department then you will be a big player in 2019.

I feel like a hypocrite for saying this because i did a degree but have now landed in the day-job world which would have been a much quicker process if I had done an apprenticeship lol, oh well. Hope you make the right decision.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending