The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy - Chances of getting in?

Hi all,

I'm graduating this year with a First Class Honours in Psychology. I really want to do a masters in Speech and Language Therapy. However, it just seems so difficult to get into!

I just wanted to ask what type of experience would be beneficial to get into the degree? I have some experience working with children and in schools, but nothing specific. I also helped a child with dyslexia one-to-one in a school for eight weeks. But I still feel like it's nothing compared to some people! Do I have any chance?

I've emailed many speech and language therapists, but they have all said they cannot offer me any work experience/shadowing due to confidentiality.

Thanks,

Jasmine
The quantity of experience isn't the important factor, but what you learn from it. Some people make the mistake of thinking that if they have a shopping list of relevant jobs they're bound to get on the course. It doesn't work like that - selectors want to see that you have the right qualities and skills for SLT, and someone who writes a thoughtful and reflective statement about their comparatively limited experience will stand a better chance than someone who just reels off a list of things without exploring how those things have prepared them for the course. So don't panic and think you need to have done a dozen relevant jobs.

You do need to be able to demonstrate good knowledge of what SLT is like as a profession, and shadowing is not really the best way to get that, although it never hurts. A better approach is to look for jobs and volunteering opportunities with client groups that SLTs work with, because that way that you will see how communication impairments affect people from day to day and you will be able to get actively involved in their support. That will provide far more valuable insight into the profession than watching a SLT carry out assessments for an hour or two, and it may even get you the chance to work alongside a SLT. Selectors also look for an understanding of the diversity of the profession - I'm always surprised by the number of applicants who assume SLTs mainly work with children! - so as your experience is weighted towards young people, it might help to look for a job or some volunteering with adults.

My only other tip is to apply for all the Master's courses and be prepared to relocate, because they are heavily oversubscribed and you might not get into the one of your choice. Having an undergrad course as a safety net might be an idea too - remember that several are only one year longer than the MSc.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there's a thread here for people applying for 2017 masters courses; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=66102581&highlight=

I'm planning to apply (so obviously can't say what definitely works as haven't got a place yet!) and have been to the open days/evenings at a couple of universities. What I heard from UCL was that experience will not be such an important factor in getting a place on the course for 2017 as they are lessening the experience requirements due to the funding situation. However, relevant experience will help significantly when it comes to the interview stage. I agree, try and get some experience with adults. I have found a charity that works with people who have had strokes and am hoping to start volunteering for them soon. Also I hope to do a couple of days in a day service for young adults with communication needs and learning disabilities. I contacted my local volunteering centre place through doit.org and told the lady that I wanted to apply for SLT and she recommended a relevant charity, so I would recommend that.
Regarding your work in schools I bet you can pull out related things from it - you have a understanding of typical development? seen children with S&L needs? developed relevant skills - e.g. how to communicate with children?
I don't think asking to shadow SLT's works particularly well, I think you need to find charities that work with a relevant client groups. Oh another way is to find a school with a language unit and ask to volunteer in the language unit, I did that and it was great. You will have a year out before starting the course, so if you organise some volunteering/ work experience now you can always put in your application that you have planned to get more experience before the course starts.
Reply 3
Hi guys, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I agree, I really need to gain some experience working with adults so that's what I'm currently working on. I really want to make the most of my year out to strengthen my application, there are so many good candidates!

Quick Reply

Latest