Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How many years of funding are you eligible for?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Good Afternoon,

In 2013/2014 I studied 1 year of a full time events management degree. I then in September 2014 started a 4 year LLB Law with Business degree - one year being a placement/sandwich year. The total time in study would amount to 5 years.

I have completed my first year of Law with top marks, and completed my second year - whether I pass my second year is pending on some resit exams in August. It has been suggested that I may want to resit the entire 2nd year.

Due to many, serious health issues (being disabled) and personal circumstances I have struggled massively during my second year and have not done very well.

So far, I have had 3 years of student finance support (Events 1 year, Law year 1 and year 2) and if I want to resit the 2nd year it will be my 4th year of finance and then my third and final year to graduate from the degree will be the 5th year of finance support.

I have tried calling student finance directly but after several attempts I only spoke to one woman who could not give me a clear answer and she kept saying that I was on a foundation degree.

Do students only ever get 4 years of finance? Or are the rules different because it is a 4 year, sandwich course?

Any advice would be much appreciated as my exam board is giving me a decision in early July - to tell me if I am allowed to resit the year. I cannot do this however without the help of student finance. If I do not have the finance option, the next couple of months are going to be extremely difficult in trying to pass the year.

Thank you

You get length of course + 1 - previous years study.

You can claim back a year if you failed due to things like a health condition affecting your ability to study. You need to send in evidence (such as a letter from your GP / counsellor / consultant) for this.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2016
Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.