The Student Room Group

Being honest with parents about how your A-levels went ?

basically the title
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by fefssdf
I like many of you will have parents who are expected you to just magically get into university, and as a result I find myself telling my parents that every exam has been ' good' even if the reality is I could've done a lot better.

So now I'm in that awkward situation where I don't know whether I should come clean to my parents about the fact I probably won't be going to uni, or whether should wait till results day and act shocked when i don't get in and hope they're more sympathetic ??

just like some advice here I guess. My parents aren't that pushy like I'm sure they're gonna be supportive but I just don't wanna get their hopes up :/

I'm confused do you know you've failed and not getting into uni or are you just assuming?
Reply 2
Original post by Jerry
I'm confused do you know you've failed and not getting into uni or are you just assuming?

I'm probably like 70% certain I'm not getting in
Just tell them. They are your parents they should eb supporting you either way and just wnat the best for you. If you havent done as well as you had hoped then start considering the alternatives now. That way you cna let them in about what to expect, but also take their advice on your next step.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Just tell them. They are your parents they should eb supporting you either way and just wnat the best for you. If you havent done as well as you had hoped then start considering the alternatives now. That way you cna let them in about what to expect, but also take their advice on your next step.

I think i wanna switch course
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
I'm probably like 70% certain I'm not getting in

oh ok first of all think positive miracles do happen. I spent an extra year in sixth form in order to get the grades i needed to get into uni so i'm speaking from experience. I'd just talk to your parents it's always best to avoid putting their hopes up high just tell them how you feel i'm sure they'll be supportive and you'll feel a little better taking it off your chest.
Reply 6
Original post by Jerry
oh ok first of all think positive miracles do happen. I spent an extra year in sixth form in order to get the grades i needed to get into uni so i'm speaking from experience. I'd just talk to your parents it's always best to avoid putting their hopes up high just tell them how you feel i'm sure they'll be supportive and you'll feel a little better taking it off your chest.

I think after the exams are all done I'm gonna go over model answers and write down estimates for every exam so i can work out where i stand..
Original post by fefssdf
I think i wanna switch course

Then switch. that's a different issue from how you did in your A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest