The Student Room Group

Your Residence Eligibility (SAAS)

Hi Everyone,

I am an EU citizen and after 10,5 years of working full time in Aberdeen I got made redundant.

I have done my HND PT and the situation I am in encouraged me to apply for a FT course (year 3 entry) - always wanted to do it and would like to give it a shot, even if at least for one year until the current Oil & Gas crash subsides.

I wanted to apply for the student fees to be paid for by SAAS and come across this questions:

Your Residence Eligibility

Have Refugee Status:No
Have Limited leave to enter or remain in the UK:No
Have Indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK:No
Have Permanent Residence:No Have Humanitarian Protection:No
Have Discretionary Leave:No

I am not sure which (if any) should I say Yes to. I am an EU citizen, worked and paid taxes for 10+ years here in Scotland but I never applied for the permanent residency.

Am I a permanent resident in SAAS' eyes anyway? Or do I have an indefinite leave to remain in UK?

I would very much appreciate your help as I have no idea of law/immigration rules etc.

Thank you in advance for your relevant feedback.

Matt
(edited 7 years ago)
As someone from the EU, you don't need to apply for the permanent residency / indefinite leave to remain thing. You are, in the eyes of SAAS, a permanent resident in Scotland.

If you're someone from the EU, you'd have to live in Scotland for 3 years (unless like England, they changed it to 5 - but I've not heard otherwise) for reasons other than education.
Reply 2
Tiger,

Thank you very much for the quick advise!

Just to confirm - should I say yes to the below?

Have Permanent Residence: YES

I do not want to make a mistake in the application and could you reassurance of someone who obviously knows what applies to my situation.

Thank you in advance

Matt
Yes, your answer is yes.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
As someone from the EU, you don't need to apply for the permanent residency / indefinite leave to remain thing. You are, in the eyes of SAAS, a permanent resident in Scotland.

If you're someone from the EU, you'd have to live in Scotland for 3 years (unless like England, they changed it to 5 - but I've not heard otherwise) for reasons other than education.

So, just to be sure, may I ask - is any EU national who lives in Scotland for 3 years or more consecutive years automatically regarded as a Permanent Resident by SAAS?
Thank you for help.
Original post by jacas
So, just to be sure, may I ask - is any EU national who lives in Scotland for 3 years or more consecutive years automatically regarded as a Permanent Resident by SAAS?
Thank you for help.

For reasons other than education, yes.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
For reasons other than education, yes.

So does it make me eligible for full support, subject to providing relevant proofs of address etc and as long as I'm changing course level?
Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending