The Student Room Group

Starting weightlifting; any help?

Hello,
I've ordered a 30kg weightlifting set because it was cheap. The set consists of two dumbells each holding around 15kg, and also an extension to convert the two barbells into a barbell which can then hold more weight.

I'm obviously new to weightlifting, and can do about ten reps of 6kg in dumbells and about the same amount of reps of 10kg in barbells before feeling maxed out.

The problem is that I don't really know how to start. Can anyone provide me of a lifting routine that will allow me to progress into being able to lift more weights? Online guides, etc, don't seem personal enough to be useful.

Any help is much appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You don't need something personal, you're a beginner, you'll benefit from any more or less reasonably plan. People need to do what works for them specifically as they become more advanced, you just need to lift. Read the FAQ (mostly the bit on why working out at home is problematic) at the top of the fitness page here, Reddit's bodyweight fitness routine might be worth checking and Scooby's DB workout

That said, unless you are a tiny woman then 30kg is **** all and if it lasts you long you're doing something wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by BKS
You don't need something personal, you're a beginner, you'll benefit from any more or less reasonably plan. People need to do what works for them specifically as they become more advanced, you just need to lift. Read the FAQ (mostly the bit on why working out at home is problematic) at the top of the fitness page here, Reddit's bodyweight fitness routine might be worth checking and Scooby's DB workout

That said, unless you are a tiny woman then 30kg is **** all and if it lasts you long you're doing something wrong.

Thank you. I had no prior history of lifting weights so that is why I was asking about how to properly progress through to being able to lift increasing amounts of weight. The websites I looked at previously didn't seem helpful, but the links you provided seem interesting.

I'm aware that people say that you should not bother buying weights and just join a gym. I would like to join a gym, but nobody wants to be the new person who can barely lift the small weights, so that's why I want to get a jump start with it at home.
Reply 3
Original post by Wiggly

I'm aware that people say that you should not bother buying weights and just join a gym. I would like to join a gym, but nobody wants to be the new person who can barely lift the small weights, so that's why I want to get a jump start with it at home.

Do what you want, obviously, though do read what I wrote in the FAQ on training at home/not going to the gym

My personal experience, it's a silly waste of time. I had a 50kg plastic weight set from Argos, followed a programme in my room for months and saw no progress. I went to the gym, got proper equipment and weight, done strong lifts and made very noticeable progress in a few months. I've known lots of guys to have similar experiences but never anyone to have managed much playing around with tiny weights in their bedroom

Quick Reply

Latest