The Student Room Group

Weekly topic: Is the use of a computer for essay based exams unfair?

what's your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be honest, I think it is unfair because this ability do not match to what we write in hand. We write and cross out if necessary, while others using a laptop can edit the sentence or add more to it. This need to change.

Here is my idea: You can type just like you write on paper - but cannot edit it or change it. If you want to cross out, then the sentence can be seen as a line crossed the middle of a sentence, not delete completely. So examiners can see how much you typed.
(edited 7 years ago)
no, as im slow af at typing, aslong as there is no spell check i dont care tbh
Everybody writes at a similar pace, but there is a LOT of variation in typing speed, so I'd say unfair as it's not representative under timed conditions
I used a computer in my exams, but was not granted extra time. I cannot write at speed for a long period of time without getting a debilitating pain in my hand (enough to leave me almost in tears), which has meant that in previous exams I have had to leave papers semi-finished and not been able to produce my best work as a result. If I didn't have a computer, it would have been physically impossible for me to have got through my English, History and Government and Politics A2 exams.

tldr; no, it isn't unfair, but there must be a legitimate justification for it.
Original post by folieadeux
I used a computer in my exams, but was not granted extra time. I cannot write at speed for a long period of time without getting a debilitating pain in my hand (enough to leave me almost in tears), which has meant that in previous exams I have had to leave papers semi-finished and not been able to produce my best work as a result. If I didn't have a computer, it would have been physically impossible for me to have got through my English, History and Government and Politics A2 exams.

tldr; no, it isn't unfair, but there must be a legitimate justification for it.

do you use word?
Original post by govandpolitics
do you use word?

Username checks out for me, lmao

Yes I did. Spellcheck was turned off though.
Original post by computationchive
what's your opinion?

This is a really interesting thread!

Original post by Vicky628
Everybody writes at a similar pace, but there is a LOT of variation in typing speed, so I'd say unfair as it's not representative under timed conditions

This may be true - however it would increase the clarity for all students as examiners don't have to figure out their handwriting (which could get even worse when students are trying to write quickly).
Original post by Fox Corner

This may be true - however it would increase the clarity for all students as examiners don't have to figure out their handwriting (which could get even worse when students are trying to write quickly).

That's a good point about clarity - I presume the exam board will not award any marks on a question if the handwritten answer is not legible?
Reply 9
I use a laptop in my exams, as well as having 25% extra time, and did all essay subjects in my A-Levels (History, English Literature and Philosophy)

The whole point in having exam conditions like this is so that it makes it fairer for the individual, as they are put in place in order to put you on a level playing field with all of the other candidates. If someone who had no reason to need these arrangements had them, then that would be unfair. However, allowing a candidate to type is supposed to be a way in which exams are fairer. For example, I type my exams because I have dyspraxia, meaning I write very slowly, have messy handwriting and a lot of pain in my hand when I try to write at speed for more than a couple of minutes. My extra time is for dyslexia, as this causes me to have slower processing speeds than some. Because I type I am on a much more level playing field than everyone else, and I seem to write a similar amount to them as well, so I don't feel as if I am at much of an advantage to them really.

I feel like having these sorts of things in exams is often misunderstood, as people often say you can get them for just writing slowly , but in reality there normally need evidence as to why you need it, such as a diagnosis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oswalds
I use a laptop in my exams, as well as having 25% extra time, and did all essay subjects in my A-Levels (History, English Literature and Philosophy)

The whole point in having exam conditions like this is so that it makes it fairer for the individual, as they are put in place in order to put you on a level playing field with all of the other candidates. If someone who had no reason to need these arrangements had them, then that would be unfair. However, allowing a candidate to type is supposed to be a way in which exams are fairer. For example, I type my exams because I have dyspraxia, meaning I write very slowly, have messy handwriting and a lot of pain in my hand when I try to write at speed for more than a couple of minutes. My extra time is for dyslexia, as this causes me to have slower processing speeds than some. Because I type I am on a much more level playing field than everyone else, and I seem to write a similar amount to them as well, so I don't feel as if I am at much of an advantage to them really.

I feel like having these sorts of things in exams is often misunderstood, as people often say you can get them for just writing slowly , but in reality there normally need evidence as to why you need it, such as a diagnosis.

Thank you so much, somebody who understands! I get rest breaks in exams due to a diagnosis a few years ago, and people literally think that it's unfair they don't get it too! It simply levels the playing field for us guys - do we have to reapply at uni or are they carried forward?
Original post by kerriveal
Thank you so much, somebody who understands! I get rest breaks in exams due to a diagnosis a few years ago, and people literally think that it's unfair they don't get it too! It simply levels the playing field for us guys - do we have to reapply at uni or are they carried forward?

I think your college needs to send your chosen uni the evidence and then it should all be carried forward. I am not sure if colleges do it automatically or not?
Personally I type really quickly so I'd write a lot more in my essays in the exam and would probably do better. In that respect, yes, it's unfair that I'm unable to use a laptop even though I'd choose to do that if I had the choice. I used to do practice essays on my laptop at home, and I used to write a lot; but then I discovered that this wasn't reflective of the actual exam, so I now write them by hand since that's how I'll be tested. Still, for some reason I feel my typed essays are actually of a higher standard and my academic voice is stronger; perhaps it's because it's so easy to edit things mid-sentence, rearrange paragraphs so the structure is better (harder to do in a written exam) etc. Sometimes in written essays I know things could sound better, but I'm pretty OCD with how things look, and don't always like crossing things out in case it gets really messy... (I know that sounds really stupid but if I cross out too many things there's a risk that the examiner will get confused as to what I want to them to read/don't want them to read). And it's harder to edit when checking through because there's not always a lot of room to add/cross out things (and when adding things my writing's usually so small that it's barely legible).

But at the same time some people are quite slow at typing, so I guess it depends on the individual. And for some people they have conditions that mean they have to type. So the "fairness" of typed exams is mainly something that's debated amongst those who aren't allowed to use laptops, but would like to use them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kerriveal

I know right! I think a lot of the problem is these things are due to invisible problems a lot of the time, so people don't actually realise why you need these things, it can get very annoying! I think they are carried on at uni. Have you applied for a DSA? I've just had a meeting for one today and they write up a report for you, which has recommendations and they put things like rest breaks on there for you. The person I had my meeting with said if you have had arrangements at school, it's unlikely that you will be refused them at uni.
Just wondering, but do you get to delete and re-order stuff on the computer?
Original post by ChrisP97
Just wondering, but do you get to delete and re-order stuff on the computer?

You do, it's a word document normally, just with spell check turned off and obviously no internet access.
Original post by oswalds
I know right! I think a lot of the problem is these things are due to invisible problems a lot of the time, so people don't actually realise why you need these things, it can get very annoying! I think they are carried on at uni. Have you applied for a DSA? I've just had a meeting for one today and they write up a report for you, which has recommendations and they put things like rest breaks on there for you. The person I had my meeting with said if you have had arrangements at school, it's unlikely that you will be refused them at uni.

whats also annoying is that people assume that rest breaks are the same thing as having extra time. It's so irritating!
to be honest there's no way of making it 100% fair... some people prefer to type who don't get to, I'd personally prefer to type an exam for reasons other people have said (can edit things without turning the paper into a total mess) but not allowing people who write incredibly slowly to type is also not fair as their writing speed shouldn't be allowed to affect their grades if they know the content

ideally, students would be able to type/handwrite depending on what their personal preference was (tbh in the 'real world' you'd type pretty much everything so it's more representative) but realistically schools will have a limited number of laptops
No it's fine.
If I'm crap at maths I suffer for it. If someone's crap at writing they should suffer too, not get a laptop to make it all better again.

Quick Reply

Latest