The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Natural Sciences lab experience/practical experience?

Hi, I am due to start the Natural Sciences course this coming October and I am aware that there are no lab elements or hands on experience. I am interested in going with the Biology route with the aim of working in wildlife and environmental conservation. I was wondering what the best option would be for practical experience and how to go about getting it. Should I volunteer with local wildlife/conservation charities or try and find somewhere to gain lab experience?
I think the Biology degree has optional modules for a residential school (lab work etc). Yeah you've answered your own question, Volunteer will lead to a better CV and then open doors to interviews for part/full time positions related to the degree your studying.

Theres a lot of lab jobs out there that only ask for A-levels, so perhaps you could apply after year 1 of open uni. Depending on your age, it maybe beneficial to an employer to get someone older than a Alevel school leaver as they have little to zero 'soft' skills and maturity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest