The Student Room Group

Psychology vs Applied psychology?!

Would anyone be able to tell me the difference between a psychology and an applied psychology degree? I've been trying to find out but the information I've found isn't very clear. Is one more highly regarded than the other or anything like that? Any help would be highly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Imo_rai
Would anyone be able to tell me the difference between a psychology and an applied psychology degree? I've been trying to find out but the information I've found isn't very clear. Is one more highly regarded than the other or anything like that? Any help would be highly appreciated!

I assume Applied Psychology isn't BPS approved which is EXTREMELY significant. To actually be able to use the degree academically it needs BPS approval.
Reply 2
Original post by JoePFR
I assume Applied Psychology isn't BPS approved which is EXTREMELY significant. To actually be able to use the degree academically it needs BPS approval.

I initially thought the same, but I looked at Brighton and that is BPS accredited. They only offer applied psychology instead of just normal psychology so I'm thinking it may be a difference in the way the course is taught or the modules within the course, but there isn't enough information on uni websites to find out
Reply 3
Original post by Imo_rai
I initially thought the same, but I looked at Brighton and that is BPS accredited. They only offer applied psychology instead of just normal psychology so I'm thinking it may be a difference in the way the course is taught or the modules within the course, but there isn't enough information on uni websites to find out

Hmm that's weird, perhaps it's more vocational or something. You could always email the appropriate department and enquire directly
Reply 4
Original post by JoePFR
Hmm that's weird, perhaps it's more vocational or something. You could always email the appropriate department and enquire directly

Yeah I think it's best to do that, thank you for your help anyway :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Imo_rai
Yeah I think it's best to do that, thank you for your help anyway :smile:

No worries :smile:
The biggest difference will likely be in the 2nd and 3rd year available modules, which will have a focus on practical applications of psychology (e.g. in clinical, health or educational psychology, as well as social policy). Applied does tend to have lower entry standards, and does sound bit worse on your CV, although i dont think it makes much difference to job outcomes.
Applied looks at more how psychology is applied to real life e.g forensic, psychology is the pure non-applied science of psychology e.g. thinking and reasoning.

Quick Reply

Latest