The Student Room Group

Computer Science degree or Apprenticeship?!

Hello, so I've just started A2 Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths and perhaps Physics (I'm undecided on whether to drop it or not). I hate to boast, but I believe that results will be good enough to impress some of the top 10 UK Uni's for Computer Science so pursuing a degree seems to be a suitable option.

However, there is currently so much hype about Apprenticeships and their many benefits over a degree: a working salary as opposed to life-long debt, a great opportunity for real work experience and a chance to impress Computer companies and encourage them to employ you full-time.

Of course, there are disadvantages. The unique Uni experience where you find yourself and discover your own potential, I would hate to miss out on that. Also, especially with Computer Science, a degree gives a much broader and deeper understanding of Computing, from software engineering to artificial intelligence to hardware, whereas an apprenticeship would only give a limited education in subjects specific to the work I would undertake for the company.

The question I have to ask you then is,
Computer Science degree or Apprenticeship?

I would thoroughly appreciate any constructive feedback or criticism, any opinions would be really helpful! And thank you for taking the time to read this mountain of words, THANK YOU!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A computer science degree apprenticeship
Original post by Sicudeh
A computer science degree apprenticeship

For example the Tech partnership Bsc Information and Technology solutions. You get to work with firms such as IBM
What do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?

Until you've got your results stop being so arrogant. It creates a terrible impression.
Original post by life.of.pablo
For example the Tech partnership Bsc Information and Technology solutions. You get to work with firms such as IBM

I just researched these degree apprenticeships, they look interesting, but they look rather scarce. Is there any particular reason for you suggesting these degree apprenticeships?
Original post by Computer Nerd
I just researched these degree apprenticeships, they look interesting, but they look rather scarce. Is there any particular reason for you suggesting these degree apprenticeships?

Well you'll get a good degree, have 3 years of work experience, not pay uni fees, receive a salary (about 16k) and most likely guarantee yourself a graduate job.
Reply 6
Do CompSci at one of the top universities; look at unistats at CompSci prospects and pay at universities such as UCL. It's worth it. You can live anywhere in the world as a Java developer - North America, all of the EU, Middle East, Asia, Australia etc.

As a Computer Scientist you do not even need to know the local language, for example you can easily work in a 40k EUR job as a Java engineer in Germany or Switzerland without the German language. It's awesome. What you need, however, is the BSc.

On the other hand, I would also apply to the companies such as Google or IBM which have their own joint programmes of working and education.
Original post by life.of.pablo
Well you'll get a good degree, have 3 years of work experience, not pay uni fees, receive a salary (about 16k) and most likely guarantee yourself a graduate job.

Okay, i see the merits, i'll look into it further
CS degree. Apprenticeship limits your options and ability to dance around eventual career ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?

Until you've got your results stop being so arrogant. It creates a terrible impression.

The issue is, i dont know exactly what i want to do, i just need to head in the right direction.

I wasn't trying to be arrogant, merely honest so you guys can offer the best advice for me
Original post by Yael
Do CompSci at one of the top universities; look at unistats at CompSci prospects and pay at universities such as UCL. It's worth it. You can live anywhere in the world as a Java developer - North America, all of the EU, Middle East, Asia, Australia etc.

As a Computer Scientist you do not even need to know the local language, for example you can easily work in a 40k EUR job as a Java engineer in Germany or Switzerland without the German language. It's awesome. What you need, however, is the BSc.

On the other hand, I would also apply to the companies such as Google or IBM which have their own joint programmes of working and education.

I have always seen myself working abroad, i'd like the new challenges, so maybe the broad qualification of an BSc might be better
Original post by Princepieman
CS degree. Apprenticeship limits your options and ability to dance around eventual career ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, again, i think the flexibility of a degree might suit me better
Reply 12
Original post by Computer Nerd
I have always seen myself working abroad, i'd like the new challenges, so maybe the broad qualification of an BSc might be better

Especially if you can get into one of the top universities. Have a look at Unistats for CompSci at different universities. It's worth it. CompSci is awesome because it allows you to travel and work anywhere, the demand is huge. It's like medicine and engineering.
Look at it differently.
Once you have completed such apprenticeship (bare in mind you're going there 'as you are':wink: you have done just this specific job.
Once you have completed uni degree and achieved (something) then you're looking into far more opportunities. You get to meet people, learn about computer science in depth. You can still get some part-time jobs, start your own projects etc.
I'm going to start computer science degree in September. Costs £9k (ridiculous) but at least I'll only have to pay this back with some nicely created system. I can always drop out and pursue my career differently if I feel like it.

Although, if you're so sure about yourself and your results, then why don't you start your own business? All you need is a decent idea! The skills are there on the web!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

A CS degree from Oxbridge/UCL/ICL/Warwick/Manchester and other good universities with good internships done during the summer months will prepare you for a much better and far superior career than some IT degree apprenticeship from a much lower ranked university.

There is a degree apprenticeship from QMUL in Software Engineering which does sound interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

False. With a degree apprenticeship OP will have a tech degree and significant work experience. If anything OP will have more doors open..
It's all about how deep you want your knowledge to go with the subject. For example the apprenticeship will teach you everything you need to know in terms of programming to do a good job whereas university will give you a deep understand of the theoretical and programming side of computer science.
I was in the same position last year and have picked the computer science degree route! :smile:
No matter which path you choose, make sure you have the right attitude. A degree is no divine right to a job, nor is any "work experience" that isn't relevant or that you do not enjoy.
You guys have been so helpful!! Thabk yoy do much! It appeara as though a degree isbetter suited to me, i'd hate to miss the deep understanding of Computer Science that a degree can offer. Thank you all again!

Quick Reply

Latest