The Student Room Group

So, no more EU law?

I am considering to take EU law but not sure over its availability when the next term starts.

Would it be still available?
Reply 1
Original post by sreeking
I am considering to take EU law but not sure over its availability when the next term starts.

Would it be still available?

If there's demand for it, you seem to be under the illusion that universities care about teaching useful subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by James82
If there's demand for it, you seem to be under the illusion that universities care about teaching useful subjects.

lol. they don't?
Reply 3
Original post by James82

Yeah thats right look your nose down on other people to make yourself feel important. Typical leave voting scum
EU law is nasty, don't do it if you can avoid it.
It will still be available for as long as the Law Society keep it as a core subject for a qualifying degree. Even then, universities may teach it as an optional subject if they have staff to teach it.
Original post by GGmad
Yeah thats right look your nose down on other people to make yourself feel important. Typical leave voting scum

I voted to remain and agree that (some) universities are more concerned with teaching modules as cheaply as possible than actually teaching the modules their students want.
Reply 6
Original post by DarkMagic
EU law is nasty, don't do it if you can avoid it.
It will still be available for as long as the Law Society keep it as a core subject for a qualifying degree. Even then, universities may teach it as an optional subject if they have staff to teach it.

Finally, thank you!

But it is one of the required subjects that one must take up for a QLD.

Hence, the question. :frown:
Reply 7
See my post here: https://jolalog.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/will-uk-law-students-still-have-to-learn-eu-law/

It is likely that EU law will still be taught at least for the next 2 years while the UK carries out exit negotiations with the EU. After that, whether EU law is studied will depend on any trade deal (if any) the UK makes the EU.

If the UK follows the Norway example (for more information see here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/28/the-norway-option-what-is-it-and-what-does-it-mean-for-britain) law students will still need to study EU law especially that of the single market.
Reply 8
Original post by GGmad

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone, except maybe the universities. Universities are now businesses, they will teach courses for which there is a demand for from their customers (the students) rather than courses for which there is a demand for from employers or the country as a whole.

This has nothing to do with the referendum, and how you decided you know how I voted from that comment is beyond me.
It was only a minor part of my public law module and that was 20% not even assessed by exam but by group work. I'm not sure about at other unis but at sheffield in second year we have the freedom to choose subjects out of a list of foundation subjects so I think in the main if you wanted to avoid an eu law module you probably could. I am doing eu and uk business commercial law next year so hopefully the eu content is light.....lol
Yes I think they will still teach it for several years to come. I still think its valuable, although some of it will depend on whats negotiated (single market etc).
It could even be a golden time for EU lawyers as we will now have two systems to advise on.

There should also be a demand for lawyers knowing how to deal with commonwealth jurisdictions, with the prospect of many new trade deals on the horizon.

just do the subjects your firm tells you to or you enjoy or you will get good marks in.
@James82 @DarkMagic @neal95

When you read the contents of the EU textbook or when you're being lectured on it at uni, do you cringe and say to yourself 'This is not how it is in real life!'?
Original post by James82

Original post by sreeking
lol. they don't?

Indeed..
Original post by Audrey18
@James82 @DarkMagic @neal95

When you read the contents of the EU textbook or when you're being lectured on it at uni, do you cringe and say to yourself 'This is not how it is in real life!'?

when I look at the insulting judgements handed down by the eu courts and our right to deport citizens who commit crimes for example it angers me! I often read The Times newspaper and they have law judgements in there regularly and yes the eu is vry meddlesome lol....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending