The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Elderly people are e ones who have worked hard and contributed to this country. Most 16-20 year olds haven't worked full time and haven't contributed enough to vote.

I do agree and I was called a cis-white scum on twitter for it even though I am brown :s-smilie:.
Original post by Trapz99
Elderly people are e ones who have worked hard and contributed to this country. Most 16-20 year olds haven't worked full time and haven't contributed enough to vote. How dare you say that our war heroes, our former politicians, our former civil servants and people who have made a living for themselves and their families and who have shaped this country should not have a right to decide this future.

In fact, it should be 16-20 year olds who shouldn't be voting. Most of them have never worked full time and have contributed nothing.

And as an 18-year-old I fully accept I have very little life experience. I have never had a job or tried to get on the housing ladder, nor do I know how things work.

The lack of respect by some for the votes of our elderly absolutely disgusts me.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

Young people are stupid. UK is going to chit and they are too engrossed in their Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat to even notice. Glad the oldies came out in full force to make the right decision.
Reply 43
Original post by Trapz99
Elderly people are e ones who have worked hard and contributed to this country. Most 16-20 year olds haven't worked full time and haven't contributed enough to vote. How dare you say that our war heroes, our former politicians, our former civil servants and people who have made a living for themselves and their families and who have shaped this country should not have a right to decide this future.

In fact, it should be 16-20 year olds who shouldn't be voting. Most of them have never worked full time and have contributed nothing.

Nobody is saying that these people shouldn't be allowed to vote, this isn't about stopping anyone from voting, it's about allowing more people with completely valid opinions who will live through the consequences of this refferendum to vote.
Original post by TrueDetective01
I do agree and I was called a cis-white scum on twitter for it even though I am brown :s-smilie:.

I feel so ashamed of the immaturity of our generation, especially when it comes to name-calling. Everyone was discussing it in school, and did absolutely nothing but mud-sling about the "BS" of the Leave campaign (which made me just feel acutely uncomfortable because I genuinely thought I was going to be verbally abused for my views, and made me glad that I was never a vocal Brexiter). Well, that "BS" is what won the vote...
Original post by Esoteric-
Young people are stupid. UK is going to chit and they are too engrossed in their Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat to even notice. Glad the oldies came out in full force to make the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't generalise claiming young people are too stupid.
I just find it a bit strange that I was old enough to vote in last month's Scottish election but a month later I am too young to vote!

Also it is going to be us that are affected most by this change - we are going to be around to see the long term consequences of this decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bulletzone
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't generalise claiming young people are too stupid.

I'm not here to flatter your ego mate.

Young people are largely oblivious to politics and the state of affairs in their own country, e.g. many dont even realise that due to changes in UK economy it looks like majority of them will never be able to afford home ownership and will be forever funding an increasingly wealthy land & property owning class.

But do they care?....No, Kylie Jenner's instagram apparently is far more important than their own futures.
Original post by Trapz99

Great logic. I suggest we extend it and require all British citizens to have worked for a minimum of 5 years in order to pay for their human, workers and other rights. Before this point we shall reclassify them as livestock for all intents and purposes.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to complain that the baby boomers, who have done everything in their power to screw over this generation, have screwed us over again.

Likewise I question how important/relevant the future is to those who might not make it past the next bad winter. Harsh, but ultimately they don't have to live with the dire consequences for up to 70 years.
Original post by Wimsett
The main reason I think that 16-18 year olds should have been allowed to vote in this referendum at least, is that it was made clear that if the UK were to leave the European Union, then the major long term consequences would happen after approximately two years. So if the country is voting on a decision that will impact these 16 year olds when they are legally old enough to vote (18) then don't they have a right to contribute their opinions and vote? I know that you could say that situations and the people maturity levels would change a lot in two years, but nevertheless the impact of the referendum will come about most prominently when these 16 year olds become adults.

So by that logic, when a term of parliament is 5 years, we should be letting 13yr olds vote, because they'll be 18 while that is in government...?
Original post by Blue_Mason
Oh please, everyone in the UK is clueless when it comes to politics and making important decisions.

Edited for accuracy
Reply 51
Original post by Drewski
So by that logic, when a term of parliament is 5 years, we should be letting 13yr olds vote, because they'll be 18 while that is in government...?

That makes absolutely no sense
Reply 52
Original post by Drewski

If a parliament ran for 5 years and was elected when somebody was 13 years old, then they would be able to vote in the next election. You really don't make sense here
yes, let the impressionable, easily manipulated and overly politically correct younglings have a vote. smashing idea
Original post by Wimsett
That makes absolutely no sense

That's rather my point.

You said that people should be able to vote because, by the time it affects them, they'd be old enough to vote.

I said that could equally apply to general elections - someone who's 14 when a government is formed could be 19 before the next one is formed, so why don't they get a say? It's the exact same logic you used.
Guarantee at least 50% of 16-18 year olds would vote in simply because they believed the 'Nandos is closing if we leave' hoax
Original post by TelAviv
Guarantee at least 50% of 16-18 year olds would vote in simply because they believed the 'Nandos is closing if we leave' hoax

Lmfaoo you underestimate us too much.
Reply 57
Original post by Drewski
That's rather my point.

You said that people should be able to vote because, by the time it affects them, they'd be old enough to vote.

I said that could equally apply to general elections - someone who's 14 when a government is formed could be 19 before the next one is formed, so why don't they get a say? It's the exact same logic you used.

No it's not, the eu refferendum is not the same as a general election. Also if someone is 19 when there is a new general election then THEY CAN VOTE. We can never return to the eu. This is a decision that cannot be changed. It's a completely different thing and it's slightly ignorant to not see that.
Original post by Wimsett
No it's not, the eu refferendum is not the same as a general election. Also if someone is 19 when there is a new general election then THEY CAN VOTE. We can never return to the eu. This is a decision that cannot be changed. It's a completely different thing and it's slightly ignorant to not see that.

You're completely ignoring your own point (understandable, it was rather stupid), proving quite eloquently that you don't know what you're talking about.
Those under the age of 18 would be naive when it comes to politics and "facts" which come from governments and friends or family. They would be more easily swayed by a government's "Remain" view. So no they shouldn't be allowed to vote as their opinion can easily be decided by what the "facts" say and other propaganda tactics to remain, whose "facts" seemed more popular and "safe".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending