The Student Room Group

I'm angry at those who voted leave without a valid reason

Scroll to see replies

Tell me about it. You could tell from fairly early on that the general public were not informed well enough or ready to vote in a referendum of this magnitude, although in a way I can hardly blame them.

People don't have the time or inclination to become experts in economics, immigration, international affairs etc. They're typically thinking about their own individual needs rather than the future of the nation as a whole. Either way it makes me sick, but I guess we will have to work hard to ensure the best with what we have.
Devastated. PM to resign :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fenice
The border will remain because the treaties governing it are separate from the EU and because neglecting or removing it would encourage more migrants to attempt a crossing at Calais, as senior French sources have said

You are correct that the border will remain. The question is whether it will be defended by one arthritic gendarme or the legions of riot police who currently do so.
Reply 23
Original post by nulli tertius
You are correct that the border will remain. The question is whether it will be defended by one arthritic gendarme or the legions of riot police who currently do so.

Given the two points I have just made I cannot see any logical reason for it to be neglected.
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
Tell me about it. You could tell from fairly early on that the general public were not informed well enough or ready to vote in a referendum of this magnitude, although in a way I can hardly blame them.

People don't have the time or inclination to become experts in economics, immigration, international affairs etc. They're typically thinking about their own individual needs rather than the future of the nation as a whole. Either way it makes me sick, but I guess we will have to work hard to ensure the best with what we have.

They weren't voting about their own individual needs. They were voting about two things; immigration and the feeling that their areas got nothing from the EU.
This was for democracy and freedom
Reply 26
Original post by WhimsicalSloth

I think it's exactly this sort of superior attitude which has characterised the Remain campaign and been Leave's greatest asset. It really is insurmountably arrogant to say that because someone voted differently to you they were simply not 'informed' enough or 'ready to vote in a referendum of this magnitude'. It's as if millions of urban liberals have adopted the personas of a small number of long dead aristocrats who know better than the plebs down the pub.
Reply 27
They weren't voting about their own individual needs. They were voting about two things; immigration and the feeling that their areas got nothing from the EU.

I didn't vote for either of those reasons.
Original post by Fenice
Given the two points I have just made I cannot see any logical reason for it to be neglected.

If you look at this from a purely French perspective, folk in Calais want to leave France, so there is no reason to keep them there if they wish to go to the UK.

The threat to France is South and East of France. Having a weakly defended border with the UK is pull factor tending to encourage folk in Italy, Greece, Turkey and Libya to come to France in the hope of getting to the UK. The issue for the French is whether it is better to spend money on the Channel coast or on France's other borders. Given a finite number of Euros to spend, where are they most productively spent? If you spend that money on the Italian border, you stop people who want to go to the UK but you also stop the many more who want to be in France. If you spend it in Calais, it has no impact on those who want to live in Marseilles or Paris or Lyon.
Wow.
Original post by Fenice
I didn't vote for either of those reasons.

But I think when they number crunch the results, and drill down into the sovereignty and democracy issues (decisions about what?) that is likely to be the end result. This wasn't a vote about straight bananas and feet and inches.
Reply 31
But I think when they number crunch the results, and drill down into the sovereignty and democracy issues (decisions about what?) that is likely to be the end result. This wasn't a vote about straight bananas and feet and inches.

It's like listening to the Penrose stairs

I voted Leave because I think, as did Tony Benn, that the people that make our laws should be elected by and accountable to us. That has nothing to do with immigration or the curvature of bananas.
I am celebrating with a luxury glass of wine round my friend's house right now. This is a smashing, top notch day for all of us. It really is. And if you don't like the result then please just be so kind as to accept that most people voted leave for good reasons.

Because there are so many immigrants in the North East of England!
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Because there are so many immigrants in the North East of England!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This ^^^^

I have no problem against Immigrants who come to the UK, Pay their Taxes; Earn a living and don't Live of Benefits.
Original post by WBZ144
Once I finish qualifying I'm out of this country. Many of my graduate friends are looking to move abroad as well because the future looks bleak. The older generation has screwed us over.

North Korea? :wink:

Original post by Eigo-Jin
No, you're just pissed that you didn't get the result you want. People can vote they like on whatever basis they like. That's why we live in a democracy.

:yep:
Original post by WBZ144
Once I finish qualifying I'm out of this country. Many of my graduate friends are looking to move abroad as well because the future looks bleak. The older generation has screwed us over.

Go. We will be happy to see the back of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhythmical
to back them up. All they could say was "OUT OUT OUT!" whenever I'd ask or others would ask why they want Britain to leave the EU and they would also add in immigration is the reason why. Nothing else, purely that. And because of poorly based decisions, Britain is now worse off. And if France let the migrants cross the border then the last laugh is on you.

You do realise the Remain camp did exactly the same thing? I was unable to get a straight answer as to why we should remain in the EU from any of my peers. All I got was insults from them when I played devil's advocate.
Original post by Esoteric-
You cried?

Lol my god. All the more reason why we needed brexit.

Lefties go running and crying to their safe spaces when they dont win.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lefties on Twitter insulting Leave voters ****ing lmao :rofl:

And look ITT.. Remain supporters insisting Leave voters are "uneducated" :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending