The Student Room Group

Brexit: would it impact international students?

Personally, I don't find any differences yet, other than the drop of the UK pound.
Depends if you mean non European, and current/future

In future EU students wishing to study in the uk (whatever is left) will apply on a similar basis to the current non Euro students. Fees and legalities will probably complicate matters
Reply 2
Im genuinely scared :frown: I wanted to study in UK and work for paying off my accomodation and rent here :frown: I even saved up money for first two instalments so I have time to find a job :frown:I dont know what to think about all of this. Im seriously worried and sad.
Original post by asrash
Im genuinely scared :frown: I wanted to study in UK and work for paying off my accomodation and rent here :frown: I even saved up money for first two instalments so I have time to find a job :frown:I dont know what to think about all of this. Im seriously worried and sad.

the UK won't officially leave the European Union for the next 2 years and 3 months at the very least (most likely longer) so if you register to study in the UK on the current Fee plan as current EU students you will be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by asrash

If you're from South Korea it won't really affect you lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
In 2-3 years theres going to be a difference so dont worry just yet :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by BWV1007
If you're from South Korea it won't really affect you lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not from South Korea,

However, Thanks all for replies, you calmed me down a bit
The short term impact will be that currency rates mean UK fees will be more reasonable.

That is likely to result in a number of UK universities taking many more international students in 2016 (because they're facing a long term drop in funding so are saving up funds). So if starting a course in 2016 (especially a postgraduate course) you may well end up in a class that is crammed alongside very few uk students.

Longer term the change of leadership in the government and the language around immigration during the referendum hints towards a reduction in visas available for students coming in on tier4 as a way for a struggling government to "demonstrate" an instant huge reduction in net migration. Given the times concerned that will likely hit students looking to start a course in 2017.

Looking further ahead to 2020 and beyond. 40% of uk academic ataff said they would look to move country in the case of a brexit. Add in the cuts in research grants likely around 2020 and the large number of university staff from EU countries and it is likely that uk universities will look and feel very different in 5-10 years time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending