The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
No, people are stupid. If you voted to leave because you believe we give £350m/week to the UK, you're simply wrong, and if you're deciding the future of your country without bothering your arse to check your facts, you're stupid.

That was not one of the reasons that I voted to leave. I believe that everyone is entitled to vote if they wish to do so and I do not question their motives because that is their business. The clear majority (1,250,000) of people who voted voted to leave the European Union and the government will now proceed as such.

To advocate any other path of action would quite literally be fascistic.
Original post by shreddingfish92
That was not one of the reasons that I voted to leave. I believe that everyone is entitled to vote if they wish to do so and I do not question their motives because that is their business. The clear majority (1,250,000) of people who voted voted to leave the European Union and the government will now proceed as such.

To advocate any other path of action would quite literally be fascistic.

But it was one of the reasons that a lot of people did vote to leave.
Original post by JordanL_
But it was one of the reasons that a lot of people did vote to leave.

Was there no propaganda from the remain side? What if there's no recession, must we now hold another referendum so the remain voters who voted remain because they thought there'd be one can now vote leave?

It is up to the voter to decide what is best for them and that is their decision to make. I do not assume people stupid and I do not think my vote is worth more than theirs.

I can empathise with those who regret the decision to hold this referendum but not with those who dispute the result.
Reply 223
Was there no propaganda from the remain side? What if there's no recession, must we now hold another referendum so the remain voters who voted remain because they thought there'd be one can now vote leave?

It is up to the voter to decide what is best for them and that is their decision to make. I do not assume people stupid and I do not think my vote is worth more than theirs.

I can empathise with those who regret the decision to hold this referendum but not with those who dispute the result.

No-one is disputing the result per se.

But there are a number of factors to explore in asking for a 2nd referendum. And one is to consider those who individually regret their own decision to vote Leave?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-backers-change-vote-remain-eu-referendum_uk_576d37f9e4b0d25711498bb5
Original post by jneill
No-one is disputing the result per se.

But there are a number of factors to explore in asking for a 2nd referendum. And one is to consider those who individually regret their own decision to vote Leave?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-backers-change-vote-remain-eu-referendum_uk_576d37f9e4b0d25711498bb5

There are no factors to explore in asking for a second referendum.

For months politicians and world-leaders have reiterated that the vote on Britain's membership of the EU was a once in a lifetime decision and that any result from the referendum would be upheld. There are give factors in why people are complaining for a second referendum:

1) 16-18 should have had the opportunity to vote.
2) Northern Ireland, London and Scotland all wanted to remain.
3) The over 65 vote took Britain outside of the EU.
4) The voter turnout was lower than 75% and the win margin was less than 2%.
5) I don't like the result because it conflicts with my political agenda.

In answer to the aforementioned:

1) Let's assume that 70% of 16-18 years-old did vote (which would have been unlikely given the youth are much less likely to vote) and 80% of them chose to remain a member of the EU (unlikely given only 75% of 18-29 years-old chose to remain) then that would only give the remain camp an extra 600,000 votes. The Leave camp won by 1.4 million votes and therefore whether 16-18 years-old were given the vote the result would have been the same.

2) In a democracy, and in a country, the result of the overall demographic should represent all of the countries within it. Scotland in 2014 decided to remain a member of the UK, which means that it has to respect the democratic decision of all of its UK counterparts. The notion that NI and London will ask for a referendum after the exit vote is pure hysterics.

3) If you're going to use that argument, then there's reason to argue that over 75s shouldn't be allowed to vote in the General Election because life expectancy in the UK suggests they won't make it until the end of the government. Elder people in the UK have lived through the EU for decades and they have more of a right than any to finally have their say on it. The fact remain campaigners think that elders are shamelessly trying to destroy young people's future is embarrassing.

4) Everyone knew the rules of the referendum results, and just because the vote didn't go the way you expected it to, that doesn't give you a right to find technicalities and call for a second referendum. If people are unhappy with the result, then they should have done more prior to the referendum to convince the Leave voters to remain in the EU. However, the left's incessant need to label the working class as racist xenophobes is exactly why working class areas took the UK out of the EU, and for that the left only have themselves to blame.

5) I know the regressive left hate democracy when it goes against them, but people are sick of modern-progressivism which is why the right is rising at unprecedented levels across Europe. In a democracy, whoever gets the most votes wins. Leave got the most votes, and therefore leave wins.
Reply 225
Using population number shouldn't have been the case. 4 countries voting. 2 remain, two leave. One country's population cannot make a decision for another country. End of story. I want Scotland and Ireland to leave the UK so it will be left with us loosers. Look at how we behaved to keep Scotland in UK. If we believe unity is stronger then why should we say otherwise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 226
Original post by jake4198
There are no factors to explore in asking for a second referendum.

What if the result had gone the other way round - Remain 52:48?

I humbly suggest Remain would now be calling for a 2nd referendum.

In fact I don't suspect it. I know it:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

By the way, the petition now stands at 750,000 signatories.
Original post by jneill
What if the result had gone the other way round - Remain 52:48?

I humbly suggest Remain would now be calling for a 2nd referendum.

In fact I don't suspect it. I know it:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

By the way, the petition now stands at 750,000 signatories.

Why? Because Nigel Farage said it? Nigel Farage was not a leading member of the official Leave campaign and he's a member of a far-right and Eurosceptic political party.

The far-left hate democracy.
Reply 228
Why? Because Nigel Farage said it? Nigel Farage was not a leading member of the official Leave campaign and he's a member of a far-right and Eurosceptic political party.

The far-left hate democracy.

The public view him as a leading member of Leave. After all he appeared on the ITV Debates with Cameron.

"he's a member of a ... Eurosceptic political party." <= ? I thought that was the whole point of Brexit. So you're not Eurosceptic then?
Original post by jneill
The public view him as a leading member of Leave. After all he appeared on the ITV Debates with Cameron.

"he's a member of a ... Eurosceptic political party." <= ? I thought that was the whole point of Brexit. So you're not Eurosceptic then?

Whether the public viewed him as a leading member or not, he was not an official leading member of the Leave campaign and he represents nothing but his party.

I didn't vote in the referendum as I saw costs and benefits in both sides of the argument. One thing I'm not is a UKIP supporter. Have some dignity and get on with your life.
800k+ wow
Reply 231
I didn't vote in the referendum as I saw costs and benefits in both sides of the argument. One thing I'm not is a UKIP supporter. Have some dignity and get on with your life.

Ah fair enough. :smile:

And how do you feel about the outcome (not the appeal for a 2nd Ref - I agree that's probably not going to happen, at least not in the way that petition has called for it).

No I mean the reality of actually having Brexit?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jarjarmonkey
Wrong. People are stupid. They don't know whats good for them and shouldn't be trusted to make important decisions. A bunch of people voted leave because they don't like immigrants and want to go back to the days where everyone was white and Britain was a world superpower. And whenever they were told of the consequences they said stop trying to "scare" people and "we want our country back". People don't make informed decisions when they vote they believe whatever the media feeds them, and what there blind friends tell them.

Scotland and Ireland will now leave the United Kingdom, a new general election will be called with Boris becoming the PM. It's likely we'll become a one party country with labour losing so many voters from Scotland. The NHS will be torn down as we can no longer afford it, university tuition will rise even higher because they don't have funding from europe and less foreign students will come to the uk and pay fees. We've lost all influence on the world stage now we're just another loser like the Netherlands. When the US wants something done in europe they'll be taking their money to Frankfurt in Germany.

In a population of 65 million 17 million wanted to leave, yet you keep arguing this is what the people want. If everyone over 14 was held at gun point and forced to vote we would've remained. But as usual older people who don't care about the economy and just don't like any colour that isn't white had the most say in the future of the country.

1. Brilliant example of the kind of disgusting snobbery that probably lost your side the referendum. Going by that logic, why not do away with general elections as well?

2. Blatant sensationalism. We're an important country and we're in other organisations like the UN and NATO. To suggest we suddenly have no influence on the world stage because we voted to leave the EU is ridiculous.

3. And a majority of the eligible electorate who voted wanted to leave.
A democratic majority in a free and fair election is not enough to justify leaving? Absurd.

People are not stupid, no matter how much you may like to think. They vote the way which is right for them and no amount of virtue signaling will change that. Saying the people were "duped" and couldn't decide what was best for themselves is frankly retarded.

Politicians did not decide to leave the EU, the people did.

But it was the misleading claims of politician such as the claim if £350 million pounds for NHS that led people to vote leave in the first place.
Original post by Exponentiallybad
But it was the misleading claims of politician such as the claim if £350 million pounds for NHS that led people to vote leave in the first place.

To be fair - Osborne kind of over egged it with his predictions that we would all be £4k worse off. The sh1t is indeed starting to rain down, but when I have family saying they might vote to leave because Cameron told them to stay, kind of sums up the sad state of affairs UK politics is these days.
Original post by jneill
Ah fair enough. :smile:

And how do you feel about the outcome (not the appeal for a 2nd Ref - I agree that's probably not going to happen, at least in the way that petition has called for it).

No I mean the reality of actually having Brexit?

I think those on the left who say that Britain is moments away from an economic apocalypse need to stop being so hysterical. The markets are actually looking pretty decent at the moment and the pound recovered somewhat from the initial crash. Unlike in 2007, the Bank of England is well prepared to provide capital to vulnerable sectors of the financial economy and the IMF and the EU are hellbent on ensuring the UK does not go into an economic recession.

However, those on the right who think it will end of the UK's problems are strongly misinformed. Immigration from afar, especially the Middle East, was not necessarily a problem caused by the EU. Calais was the biggest problem in regards to non-EU migration to the UK and now the Calais jungle will probably be now in the UK. I find it sad that some, a minority but some, also chose to leave out of blind-nationalism and closet-racism. However, I do blame the left for an incessant inability to talk about controversial issues like immigration and multiculturalism, as it alienated the working class vote.

Now the vote's over, it's so important we all come together and make the best of what we have. I'd actually be open to the Norway/ Switzerland option - being out of a political union but being a member of an economic one. We should have a referendum on that.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
1. Brilliant example of the kind of disgusting snobbery that probably lost your side the referendum. Going by that logic, why not do away with general elections as well?

2. Blatant sensationalism. We're an important country and we're in other organisations like the UN and NATO. To suggest we suddenly have no influence on the world stage because we voted to leave the EU is ridiculous.

3. And a majority of the eligible electorate who voted wanted to leave.

But are we really an important country on the world stage?
I agree that with u about the snobbery part but when we look at what's happening after Brexit is it really what the Brits have wanted, I mean France has now overtaken us as the fifth largest economy because of the devaluation of pound. The pound dropped ~8% one day in days where 1% is considered appalling.
As far as your point goes about influence on world stage by your logic France is now more influential on world stage than us because they have got a bigger economy and are part of UN and NATO just like us
Reply 237
I think those on the left who say that Britain is moments away from an economic apocalypse need to stop being so hysterical. The markets are actually looking pretty decent at the moment and the pound recovered somewhat from the initial crash. Unlike in 2007, the Bank of England is well prepared to provide capital to vulnerable sectors of the financial economy and the IMF and the EU are hellbent on ensuring the UK does not go into an economic recession.

However, those on the right who think it will end of the UK's problems are strongly misinformed. Immigration from afar, especially the Middle East, was not necessarily a problem caused by the EU. Calais was the biggest problem in regards to non-EU migration to the UK and now the Calais jungle will probably be now in the UK. I find it sad that some, a minority but some, also chose to leave out of blind-nationalism and closet-racism. However, I do blame the left for an incessant inability to talk about controversial issues like immigration and multiculturalism, as it alienated the working class vote.

Now the vote's over, it's so important we all come together and make the best of what we have. I'd actually be open to the Norway/ Switzerland option - being out of a political union but being a member of an economic one. We should have a referendum on that.

£250 billion of BoE support committed in 1 day = 29 years of EU net contributions.

But yes, we really do need to keep on keeping on... :smile:
Original post by ByEeek
To be fair - Osborne kind of over egged it with his predictions that we would all be £4k worse off. The sh1t is indeed starting to rain down, but when I have family saying they might vote to leave because Cameron told them to stay, kind of sums up the sad state of affairs UK politics is these days.

Agree with u on Cameron point but in all fairness the did win an all party majority in the general election and as far as orbornes prediction go we did loose more money as an economy in hours following Brexit than we could ever save by not being in the EU but, u are right in saying that he exaggerated. However, if Brexit wouldn't have happened then we could've blamed remain for their incorrect claims but since leave won there campaign on basis of incorrect claims that's why Brits are angry
Reply 239
Original post by Rlove95
I doubt there'll be another referendum but I think it is a good way to show that people aren't pleased with the result. It weakens the mandate of Brexit. It's one of those things that unlikely to lead anywhere but that's worth a try anyways.

Also most MPs don't want to leave the EU so they might try push for another referendum with the support of the people.

But you can't please everybody in these things so whether we hold 1 or 20 more referendums some people will not be happy with the result. I can understand people being unhappy with the result but the downright nastiness some people are sprouting is, quite frankly, disgusting - on both sides. We're meant to be a civilised nation but you wouldn't think so with some of the comments being passed.

Original post by Rlove95
The people have spoken and they're divided. Leave won by a margin of 4%. Although 51.9% of the UK voting population want to leave the EU, you have to remember 48.1% don't. The margins are far too close for you to say 'the people have spoken'. The 'people' aren't united into one body.

And you'll never get a unanimous vote - people will always have different opinions. Although I do kinda feel sorry for Scotland, they choose to remain in the UK (and were told if you left they might struggle to remain in the EU) and then get dragged out by us a couple of years later.

Quick Reply

Latest