The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Why Brexit lost :

We now have three choices:

a) REMAIN
b) become an EU colony (same immigration, not veto, no say, just do as EU says)
c) Go Broke or at best significantly poorer,

Sign the petition, of course not to get a rerun of the referendum but to show your feelings on the matter.
You are going over a waterfall in a boat that you all agreed to sail together.
The boat does not work. If you stay in it you probably commit economic suicide.

Its not whining to change your mind and save youself.

Get a grip man, this is not some silly macho game - this is economic life or death.

Read the article:
http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/nick-clegg-we-must-elect-a-new-government-to-decide-this-country-s-future-a3281686.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 761
Jeremy Hunt has just been on BBC Breakfast saying a 2nd Referendum or General Election is needed to give a final confirmation *after* Article 50 negotiations are completed.

Sounds like a very sensible idea (and one I predicted :wink: ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 762
FOUR million signatures now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You may have heard there is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's been crashing the gov site

Edit to add: Over 4 million signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

96% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.

If you have, or are planning to, sign the petition I suggest you also contact your MP telling them you have done so and asking them to request a 2nd Referendum.

It's easy to do here: https://www.writetothem.com

My lotto numbers didn't show up on Saturday, so I lost. Should I create a petition for a redraw?
Reply 764
Original post by Boreism
My lotto numbers didn't show up on Saturday, so I lost. Should I create a petition for a redraw?

Go for it :smile:
Reply 765
Original post by jneill
Jeremy Hunt has just been on BBC Breakfast saying a 2nd Referendum or General Election is needed to give a final confirmation *after* Article 50 negotiations are completed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK would have already left at that time.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jeremy Hunt also thinks we'll be able to negotiate free movement of everything but persons.
If people really wanted this they would have voted UKIP
The reason we are in this mess is becaue people switched to Tory over Tuition Fee row without thinking to deeply about the ticking bomb of referendum

We need a petition to stop political parties putting VAGUE referendum pledges in their manifestos without having any clarity as to whether they are in favour of a specific outcome. People need to know what they are voting for.
Haha it's funny because people say 'let's have a petition for x because I don't like x' because someone did one for the EU referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FredOrJohn

If Britain fails to implement it over the next two-three years that is exactly what will happen, in huge numbers.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

:ditto:Also If there was 2nd referendum, then what was the whole point of the 1st one, those who actually voted?
The reason we are in this mess is becaue people switched to Tory over Tuition Fee row without thinking to deeply about the ticking bomb of referendum

We need a petition to stop political parties putting VAGUE referendum pledges in their manifestos without having any clarity as to whether they are in favour of a specific outcome. People need to know what they are voting for.

UKIP had the 3rd largest vote share behind the 2 main parties.

It had more votes than the 3rd+4th by MPs parties had combined.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Well here's a surprise... Remainers who don't understand democracy... :colonhash:

The petition was started by a guy who backed Leave.

Instead of attacking people, you should try having a go at the argument itself. You'll boost your ostensible intelligence.
Original post by ib_hopeful
The petition was started by a guy who backed Leave.

Instead of attacking people, you should try having a go at the argument itself. You'll boost your ostensible intelligence.

The petition was started BEFORE the vote because the person in question believed the vote was rigged. The very same person has asked for it to be taken down.

You are a big boy or a big girl but big boy/girl did not do his/her research :smile:
Original post by Boreism
:ditto:Also If there was 2nd referendum, then what was the whole point of the 1st one, those who actually voted?

Well you do some sort of deal (or failed deal) with the EU and you vote on whether you want it or you want to remain ...

Obviously the first referendum was just do you want to leave in PRINCIPLE

The second will be do you want to leave with the REALITY on offer...
Obviously the first referendum was just do you want to leave in PRINCIPLE

The second will be do you want to leave with the REALITY on offer...

:rofl:
Original post by jonathanemptage
Signed

You are truly flogging a dead horse. Both main parties have now agreed that there is no way back from the decision, and even Labour's shadow chancellor has stated that freedom of movement is now a no-no. Both Labour and the Conseratives would be wiped out at the next general election if they ignore the result, and they know it.
Reply 778
Why don't people just accept that the leave campaign won. How stupid do we look to the EU and the rest of the world if one minute we're going "yeah lets leave we don't need no EU" and like a week later 4 million people are saying "actually we've changed our mind". People need to take referendums more seriously and be aware of the consequences.
P.S The 4 million signatures is very small compared with the over 30 million who voted in the actual referendum.
Reply 779
Original post by Crb822
Why don't people just accept that the leave campaign won. How stupid do we look to the EU and the rest of the world if one minute we're going "yeah lets leave we don't need no EU" and like a week later 4 million people are saying "actually we've changed our mind". People need to take referendums more seriously and be aware of the consequences.
P.S The 4 million signatures is very small compared with the over 30 million who voted in the actual referendum.

37.4% of the electorate said "yeah lets leave we don't need no EU", and some of them are having second thoughts.

PS. This petition is 5x larger than any previous petition.

It's nearly 4x the population of Birmingham and it's more than the population of Wales.

By any assessment it's quite a significant event. Especially given the problems people had in the early days actually accessing the petition to sign it.

Very small = something other than this...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending