The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

:laugh:
What for?
We have referenda until the outcome is to remain?!
Reply 81
Original post by ODES_PDES
:laugh:
What for?
We have referenda until the outcome is to remain?!

Why not? It's happened before (Ireland, amongst others...) :wink:
Original post by jneill
Why not? It's happened before (Ireland, amongst others...) :wink:

Off you go and vote then.
Seeing all this gives me additional pleasure today.

Spoiler

Bring on Lexit
Original post by DarkMagic
What happens if the second referendum is even closer than the first one? Do we get a third one?

I do agree with the Scots having a second referendum as circumstances have changed dramatically outside their control, but I don't agree with another UK wide EU referendum unless new deals are offered.

Personally whilst I think we should have a second Uk wide referendum "on the EU" as it is correctly pointed out on that petition that the results were statistically insignificant. I think personally a second referendum should come once a Brexit Deal has been drafted- a draft that should go to public consultation as all laws passed thorough our parliament do and the referendum should be to accept or reject the Brexit Deal. This will give people who voted to leave a chance to fully appreciate the consequences of their actions on the financial position of this country and better chance to get across the liberties we will loose. I think then if we choose to accept the Brexit deal then it is as close to an informed choice as we could make. If we reject the Brexit Deal offers the opportunity to fully consider where the outcome of this referendum was solely based on apparelling to emotions rather than common sense.
Original post by *Stefan*
Yes, clearly:colonhash:

Nothing is real according to the Leave campaign. Hilarious.

The blatant rejection of everything that could remotely undermine a Brexit is truly remarkable.
Reply 86
Original post by ODES_PDES
Off you go and vote then.
Seeing all this gives me additional pleasure today.

Spoiler

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4184491
Reply 87
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Give me a break - we won fair and square. It'll be less than smart to even try. Plus Cameron has resigned so Remainers, take it on the chin!

Oh i forgot it is some game "Community assistant" smh this is the countries future and clearly LEAVE won because of the elderly.
people should just let go....

its done now.
Original post by trapking
people should just let go....

its done now.

waaaahhhhhhhhhhh cry cry cry
Original post by Deyesy
I voted remain and also think this is ridiculous :yy:

As much as I completely disagree with the scare tactics used in the campaign; 51.9% of people voted to leave. We live in a democracy - which in itself is a very precious thing and this democracy has spoken (it pains me to say this given that the young people who voted remain have to deal with the consequences the longest).

Correction this petition is not ridiculous. Firstly it was not retaliation to the result. The petition received more than 100,000 signatures before the announcement of the result and was in itself created over two months ago. It is not really fair to say that asking the Government to consider how representative the Referendum was of public opinion before acting on the result is ridiculous. This is point Particularly heightened by the standards used in statistics dictate that the result is considered statistically insignificant.

Secondly while I would tend to agree the explosion of sharing a signing is a retaliation to the result, people signing might just have a point as the South East was a remain strong hold. In the South East there has been fairly extensive flooding for the last two weeks and suddenly the turnout at the polls was significantly poorer than expected when compared with the previous general election. If there turn out was affected by the flooding- could you really consider this a democratic decision as people from the South East were poorly represented through no fault of their own.
Original post by Everglow
This petition is a joke. It's essentially saying, 'this isn't the result we want so we demand another referendum!'

Aside from there being absolutely no legitimate reason for another referendum, I object to the potential millions that would be wasted on campaigning pointlessly for an issue that has already been fairly decided.

Move. On.

Please read below while I put a train through both you arguments:
Firstly the petition was not retaliation to the result. The petition received more than 100,000 signatures before the announcement of the result and was in itself created over two months ago. It is not really fair to say that asking the Government to consider how representative the Referendum was of public opinion before acting on the result is ridiculous. This is point Particularly heightened by the standards used in statistics dictate that the result is considered statistically insignificant.

Secondly while I would tend to agree the explosion of sharing a signing is a retaliation to the result, people signing might just have a point as the South East was a remain strong hold. In the South East there has been fairly extensive flooding for the last two weeks and suddenly the turnout at the polls was significantly poorer than expected when compared with the previous general election. If there turn out was affected by the flooding- could you really consider this a democratic decision/ fair decision as people from the South East were poorly represented through no fault of their own. This in its own could be considered a legitimate reason for a second referendum.
Well I am sorry, but I am far from ashamed of myself for signing. Why? as I pointed out above leave did not necessarily win fair an square. There was issues beyond anyones control influencing the outcome. Secondly having done advanced statistic do fully appreciate the out come of this referendum was statistically insignificant. No I am not trying to force things my way or be childish. I think the prospect of a Brexit is potentially going to be very exciting yet tough time for our country. But the end could be worth it. No I do not pretend to be democratic either, I am democratic and am concerned that the views of South East Reagion were not as fairly represented as they should be.
Reply 93
This petition is a joke. It's essentially saying, 'this isn't the result we want so we demand another referendum!'

Aside from there being absolutely no legitimate reason for another referendum, I object to the potential millions that would be wasted on campaigning pointlessly for an issue that has already been fairly decided.

Move. On.

No legitimate reason? In the 6 hours that Britain has left the EU, the pound has dropped 10% compared to the dollar, the worlds stock market has been damaged, our PM resigned, Nigel Farages promise of the money hat was spent on the EU which would go towards the NHS was a lie and the list goes on.

How is there not a legitimate reason for another referendum?
Forget this. We cannot change it.

We need to put faith in our future generations and we cannot do that when so many people are uneducated when it comes to politics.

Please sign my petition for mandatory teaching of politics in high schools if you agree.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-mp-mandatory-teaching-of-politics-in-high-schools
Original post by OmarAl
No legitimate reason? In the 6 hours that Britain has left the EU, the pound has dropped 10% compared to the dollar, the worlds stock market has been damaged, our PM resigned, Nigel Farages promise of the money hat was spent on the EU which would go towards the NHS was a lie and the list goes on.

How is there not a legitimate reason for another referendum?

Nigel Farage is not the chancellor or the PM - how do you expect him to have any say in how the money is going to be spent?

We haven't even left the EU yet and won't for a number of years. Only after we've left can there be any legitimate demand for another referendum. Calling one because the pound has dropped or because Cameron has quit is nothing short of a knee-jerk reaction. The pound will recover and we will have a new PM in the next few months. Not everything happens overnight.
Reply 96
Nigel Farage is not the chancellor or the PM - how do you expect him to have any say in how the money is going to be spent?

We haven't even left the EU yet and won't for a number of years. Only after we've left can there be any legitimate demand for another referendum. Calling one because the pound has dropped or because Cameron has quit is nothing short of a knee-jerk reaction. The pound will recover and we will have a new PM in the next few months. Not everything happens overnight.

We haven't even left the EU yet and all these things have already happened, what do you think will happen when we do actually leave?
Reply 97
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Correction this petition is not ridiculous. Firstly it was not retaliation to the result. The petition received more than 100,000 signatures before the announcement of the result and was in itself created over two months ago. It is not really fair to say that asking the Government to consider how representative the Referendum was of public opinion before acting on the result is ridiculous. This is point Particularly heightened by the standards used in statistics dictate that the result is considered statistically insignificant.

Secondly while I would tend to agree the explosion of sharing a signing is a retaliation to the result, people signing might just have a point as the South East was a remain strong hold. In the South East there has been fairly extensive flooding for the last two weeks and suddenly the turnout at the polls was significantly poorer than expected when compared with the previous general election. If there turn out was affected by the flooding- could you really consider this a democratic decision as people from the South East were poorly represented through no fault of their own.

Lets just rehold any elections affected by floods then...
Petition was created before referendum- so the comment no one complained about this pre referendum is the biggest load of hot air I have ever heard. Petition reached 100,000 before the result was announced- therefore would have to be debated in parliament what ever the outcome. Petition was not result retaliation- reached 100,000 before result announced and called for the same on both sides.

And right now I think you might be living in a bit of a bubble about the definition of a fair win. Yes everyones vote is counted equally. However due to flooding on major rail lines (include the mainline out of Waterloo) and roads in the south East a significant number of people who wished to vote could not reach the polls- are you suggesting we should just ignore the voice of these people? Personally i think thats unfair. Hence not a completely fair Brexit Win as the South East was fairly strongly pro remain. If you think I am making the flooding up I suggest you may wish to exercise the power of google. The injustice to the South East has been reported in the Independent, Guardian and the Times.

And rather than us lot growing up maybe you lot suggesting that the petition is ludicras need to think more critically about what is written (or perhaps firstly learn to read???? you demonstrate an epic lack of ability to actually understand what the petition is calling for or its intention as it applied equally to both sides) and learn to evaluate the role of externally acting factors that can bias an outcome.
Original post by Deyesy
Lets just rehold any elections affected by floods then...

Personally I would be happy with that. Its not the inference of a second referendum I would want. It was the call in the petition to parliament to consider the statistical significance of the result- particularly in light of the factors effecting the South East.

Quick Reply

Latest