Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Carol Ann Duffy

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with the biography of Carol Ann Duffy. I am writing a biography for English lit and need to pay special attention to her childhood, her route into writing and her relationship with Adrian Henri

Thanks in advance

Hi, i studied Carol Ann Duffy's "the worlds wife" poems for my english coursework. Unfortunately the focus for our piece was on the poems itself so we didnt have to go into much detail about Duffy herself, but heres a bit i gathered about her background so i thought id post it incase it can be of any help

CAROL ANNDUFFY BACKGROUND· She was the first female Poet Laureate (2009). PrimeMinister Tony Blair's administration had wanted a poet laureate who exemplifiedthe new "Cool Britannia," not an establishment figure, and Duffy wascertainly anything but establishment. Blair was worried about how"middle England" would react to a lesbian poet laureate. There werealso concerns in the administration about what Britain's notorious tabloids wouldwrite about her sexuality. In the end, Blair opted for the safe choice andnamed Andrew Motion to the post. · She is probably the best known female poetworking in Britain today· She was born in 1955 in Glasgow· Duffyis well known for poems that give a voice to the dispossessed (people excludedfrom society); she encourages the reader to put themselves in the shoes ofpeople they might normally dismiss. · She has published many collections of poetry, including TheWorld’s Wife (1999), from which Medusa comes. The collection represents womenfrom history, literature and fairytale, particularly thosewhose stories tend to be defined by men, or who have only a cameo appearance ina male-dominated scenario.· Her poetry often engages with the grittier and more disturbingside of life, using black humour like a weapon to make socialand political points. · Her poetry has always had a strong feministedge.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2016
TSR Support Team
I want...
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.