The Student Room Group

Do English girls get married to international students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DNA89
Actually I am afraid it is the opposite. Where I am going was in favor of Leave by more than 55 percent. I am sure the Brits are friendly but one never knows what politics could do to people.

I think younger people, irregardless of location, were in favour of staying.
Original post by DNA89
I wish I could do that. I don't know if am an outlier or not, but I do not enjoy sex for sex.

What is sex for if Sex Is not for sex?
Original post by alkaline.
What is sex for if Sex Is not for sex?

I mean sex is only enjoyable when it is with someone I am involved with emotionally.
I think it's necessary to know someone for far more then a year in order to get married. It has nothing to do with "cultural differences", it's just fact. Think about it - this is the person you'll likely be spending the rest of your life with, for better, or for worse. In a healthy relationship, you have to spend quite some time together before you're ready for such a step - from initial attraction and flirting, to first steps into a relationship and then into mutual living, vacationing and so on.

Furthermore, it will only be a year if you find someone compatible immediately after arriving and manage to get into a relationship with them. Realistically, it will be at least a few weeks, if not months before any of this happens. In any case, focus on yourself - your studies, your career, your hobbies and interests and like yourself for who you are. If you do, someone will like and appreciate that, and it will be much more likely you'll grow to be together.
Original post by Dheorl
I think younger people, irregardless of location, were in favour of staying.

I am sure not much will change from British people's character just because of a referendum vote, but when it comes to laws, they could be changed alongside the populist demands of some leaders. For example, in order for someone whose partner is British to be able to live in the UK, the British partner needs to have an income of 18,000 pounds. Getting married to someone you love and want to live with should not be difficult at all.
Here's my answer. Most likely UK girls do enter relationships with international students. The frequency of this I don't know. I'm sure at least some of these relationships progress to marriage. A few things to remember/some advice from my on head.

1) Don't get married for the sake of it.
2) Don't bring that up early on in the relationship.
3) Take your time. You have plenty of it.
Original post by Withengar
I think it's necessary to know someone for far more then a year in order to get married. It has nothing to do with "cultural differences", it's just fact. Think about it - this is the person you'll likely be spending the rest of your life with, for better, or for worse. In a healthy relationship, you have to spend quite some time together before you're ready for such a step - from initial attraction and flirting, to first steps into a relationship and then into mutual living, vacationing and so on.

Furthermore, it will only be a year if you find someone compatible immediately after arriving and manage to get into a relationship with them. Realistically, it will be at least a few weeks, if not months before any of this happens. In any case, focus on yourself - your studies, your career, your hobbies and interests and like yourself for who you are. If you do, someone will like and appreciate that, and it will be much more likely you'll grow to be together.

Thanks for taking time to write such a thoughtful piece of advice. I agree with what you have said, but I have had experience of long term relationships where they failed due to stupid reasons like not being able to live together -where I live it is not allowed by the society for unmarried couples to be together- Now, if I get to be with the person I like under the same rough, marriage will only be a paperwork. That is why I said it has to do with cultural differences, but now I have a better perspective on the matter. May be I need to take sometime there, learn the norms and how people perceive such matters. Thanks again
Original post by Anonymous
Here's my answer. Most likely UK girls do enter relationships with international students. The frequency of this I don't know. I'm sure at least some of these relationships progress to marriage. A few things to remember/some advice from my on head.

1) Don't get married for the sake of it.
2) Don't bring that up early on in the relationship.
3) Take your time. You have plenty of it.

Ms/Mr Anonymous, very good and practical pieces of advice.
Original post by DNA89
I will be spending a year of my life studying masters in the UK. I am planning to get married there. How common/easy it is for marriages happen between international students and English girls?

You seem quite intent on getting married within a year
Sure you dont want an english girl so you can get permanent residency easily? And then have a kid or what not

Same with any other country people do marry international students and people from other countries.
Original post by smile43
You seem quite intent on getting married within a year
Sure you dont want an english girl so you can get permanent residency easily? And then have a kid or what not

Same with any other country people do marry international students and people from other countries.

The reason I want to get married or at least step for it has nothing to do with getting UK citizenship. Actually getting married does not get me a British citizenship it may take up to 10 years before even I am considered to be given that citizenship which I don't want. One obvious reason I like British girls is good experience I have had with them in the course of my work at international organizations. Not only they are beautiful but amazingly intelligent let alone the beautiful accent. Moreover, I am in disagreement with many of the cultural norms at my home country and the kind of relationship I am looking for -even inside a marriage- is absent here. There are other reasons which are private to me and I can't write it down here. Oh and I love Kate Winslet, isn't that enough reason ? :biggrin:
Original post by DNA89
The reason I want to get married or at least step for it has nothing to do with getting UK citizenship. Actually getting married does not get me a British citizenship it may take up to 10 years before even I am considered to be given that citizenship which I don't want. One obvious reason I like British girls is good experience I have had with them in the course of my work at international organizations. Not only they are beautiful but amazingly intelligent let alone the beautiful accent. Moreover, I am in disagreement with many of the cultural norms at my home country and the kind of relationship I am looking for -even inside a marriage- is absent here. There are other reasons which are private to me and I can't write it down here. Oh and I love Kate Winslet, isn't that enough reason ? :biggrin:

Haha im sold on kate winslet :smile:)) lol
Like others have said op take your time and build a relationship if you can , you dont have to specify a specific race ie english girls or if you mean a broad range like girls from england idk
Alot more in marriage than just meeting someone and wanting them as a life partner take your time and enjoy the journey :smile:
And lol dont tell a girl you want to marry her when just meeting youll scare her lol
And aww english accents are good but some can be .... Well 🙄😂
Original post by smile43
Haha im sold on kate winslet :smile:)) lol
Like others have said op take your time and build a relationship if you can , you dont have to specify a specific race ie english girls or if you mean a broad range like girls from england idk
Alot more in marriage than just meeting someone and wanting them as a life partner take your time and enjoy the journey :smile:
And lol dont tell a girl you want to marry her when just meeting youll scare her lol
And aww english accents are good but some can be .... Well 🙄😂

See, that is why I do not regret asking this question. So girls there would be frightened if told in the beginning of a relationship that I want marriage? wow :biggrin: here girls would not date you if you do not promise them marriage. Actually, I would be grateful if you could send me a link or something talking about such do/don'ts for UK girls. And yes, by English I didn't mean girls from England but from the United Kingdom -which I hope will stay united by the time I am there-
Original post by DNA89
See, that is why I do not regret asking this question. So girls there would be frightened if told in the beginning of a relationship that I want marriage? wow :biggrin: here girls would not date you if you do not promise them marriage. Actually, I would be grateful if you could send me a link or something talking about such do/don'ts for UK girls. And yes, by English I didn't mean girls from England but from the United Kingdom -which I hope will stay united by the time I am there-

If i can find one i will
Lol depends on the girl some will like ot ots commitment you tell em.on the first date you may scare them they may feel rushed or pressured
Which country are you from
Original post by smile43
If i can find one i will
Lol depends on the girl some will like ot ots commitment you tell em.on the first date you may scare them they may feel rushed or pressured
Which country are you from

I am afraid if I said it I will scare people away :biggrin: Once I said where I am from in a bar in New York City and people were about to run away :biggrin: I am from Iraqi Kurdistan.
Original post by DNA89
I am afraid if I said it I will scare people away :biggrin: Once I said where I am from in a bar in New York City and people were about to run away :biggrin: I am from Iraqi Kurdistan.

That's not going to work in your favour sadly.
Original post by physicsphysics91
That's not going to work in your favour sadly.

Why is that? I have an idea but would be good to know from you. Btw, does it help if I tell the girls that Kurds are fighting ISIS and stuff? :biggrin:
Original post by DNA89
Why is that? I have an idea but would be good to know from you. Btw, does it help if I tell the girls that Kurds are fighting ISIS and stuff? :biggrin:

If I was a girl and an Iraqi Kurd (not found in the Calais Jungle) asks to marry me within short notice I'd run.
Original post by physicsphysics91
If I was a girl and an Iraqi Kurd (not found in the Calais Jungle) asks to marry me within short notice I'd run.

Don't worry, I would not approach such a girl . I can smell stupidity from afar.
It's unlikely, masters students tend to be more international, in fact at my uni Home students let alone UK students are the minority when it comes to postgraduates, at masters level the ratio will be even lower.
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's unlikely, masters students tend to be more international, in fact at my uni Home students let alone UK students are the minority when it comes to postgraduates, at masters level the ratio will be even lower.

I am actually planning to have a good British year knowing the local cultures, peoples and everything. I am even planning to relate my research to something related to the local context. But true, a class with more international classmates makes it bit difficult to integrate with the local community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending