The Student Room Group

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change?

Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- It might be harder to get a job in Europe
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
- UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
- It might become harder to travel around Europe
- House prices might become more affordable

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by shooks
Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis

i hope as an nation we stop blaming others such as refugees and immigrants for our mistakes. i hope we learn stop letting xenophobia and patriotism govern our minds and instead we do what is best for our future generations. however the EU result destroyed my hope... :frown:
Reply 2
Concerned that the nations integrity and commitment to banishing racism will diminish, and that the EU will set out amendments to capatilise on our losses
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by andrewUK
i hope as an nation we stop blaming others such as refugees and immigrants for our mistakes. i hope we learn stop letting xenophobia and patriotism govern our minds and instead we do what is best for our future generations. however the EU result destroyed my hope... :frown:

Yesss we need more poeple like you. Everyone blames immigrants for the things that are happening in the UK. We really need to stop
I'm concerned that we are becoming an inward looking nation.
It's a sad day. I am absolutely disgusted with my own country (not a nice feeling), and I am now considering emigrating.
I'm also concerned about:
- the growing xenophobia, and inequality between rich and poor.
- and about my future job prospects.
- labour shortages in the UK
- strain on public services
- more expensive flights to the Europe
- highest cost of goods due to higher tariffs (on things like foods)
- rise in right-wing populism
- weakening economy
- less tourism to the UK
- lower quality of life
- higher cost of living
- less influence on global affairs
- and the prospect of Scotland and N.Ireland leaving the UK.
Reply 7
I am concerned about Scotland (I suppose Northern Ireland too but that seems less likely). I voted leave but had that angle been played up more I might have reconsidered, I was a "soft" leave. I am concerned about general division in the country.
I hope that we can get out in such a way as to reduce regulation, restrict free movement and obtain trade deals but, especially the middle one, these may be optimistic. I hope that, not that this is exactly how the UK will change, other EU countries will follow suit and the anaemic organisation will either have to go through serious reform or not survive.
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
Someone needs to have a word in the ear of Guardian columnists and point out difference between pre-plebiscite hype/post-electoral hysteria

What they're doing is harmful to the unity/prosperity of the nation. They should grow up, accept outcome, and consider acting in national interest

the guardian isnt harming the unity of our nation.

why should people in scotland or in NI accept this result? they wanted to remain and they both voted to remain. they shouldnt have to suffer because of the chooses made by others. right now the UK could break up as a second referendum in Scotland seems inevitable
I'm concerned about all the Left wingers leaving, Oh wait. No I'm not. That's a great thing. Sick of left wingers labelling anyone who puts immigration in a negative light a:
Racist
Sexist
Xenophobic
Facist
Bigot

Knowing TSR being infamous for being a site full of left wing 16 year olds I am expecting a lot of hate for this comment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Happy Independence Day! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Foo.mp3
By engaging in hysteria it irrefutably is contributing to tensions

tensions exist because so many people different views and because the referendum was close. also the hysteria was caused by the fact that stock markets fell by 8% this morning its biggest fall since 2008. also the london stock exchange doesnt have the mechanisms to halt trading in all stocks if there is a crash. hardly the guardians fault

Scots had a referendum in 2014. The EU referendum has been on the cards since 2010. Both territories live as part of a union - we take decisions together, that's the deal. They don't have to accept it if they suddenly want to try to make it on their own (good luck with that)

yes an EU referendum has been on the cards since 2010 but the SNP made it clear in their manifesto any significant changes would give them a right to hold another referendum

Watch what happens in the EU over the next few years. Then come back and tell me we're inflicting suffering on them. Trust me, all concerned will thank their lucky stars!

i would imagine the EU will no longer exist in 5 years time. we have damaged the EU by promoting isolation rather than unity because it shows everyone that the best way forward is to avoid problems and to blame others. its a shame to see 60 years of peace and stability being thrown away. in a time when terrorism is a major threat to us all in the EU (and in the world) we should be building bridges with our allies not walls.
Original post by andrewUK

No one is blaming refugees or genuine skilled workers from abroad, but people have a right to be against an influx of unskilled economic migration from Eastern Europe and Asia as it's putting immense pressure on community cohesion, the living wage and the cost of living.

I don't understand why you suggest we shouldn't let "patriotism" govern this country. A patriotic government doesn't mean allowing some fascist supremacist group to live in 10 Downing Street, but rather a government that will put the British people first. The incessant and knowing inability from the left to tackle immigration and this need to label Leave supporters as "racist" and "xenophobic" is why Britain chose to leave today, and also why there is an exodus from the left to the far-right by the working class people.
Today is a historic day and the day when the UK has become independent from the EU. I am 16 so couldn't vote but if I did I would vote to leave and I am happy the UK has voted to leave and made a sensible decision.
I as a Swede i'm absolutely thrilled that the UK has decided to regain it's own freedom free from the idiotic legislation and unelected suits in Brussels and Strasbourg i only hope that Sweden and the rest of the EU follow suit this organisation should of stayed a trading bloc and not into a political superstate that it is now.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD TRASH.
Original post by susielovesblue
Yesss we need more poeple like you. Everyone blames immigrants for the things that are happening in the UK. We really need to stop

people think that BREXIT will stop immigration. It won't :/
I agree with you everyone blame the immigrants but after all we or our parents or even grandparents were immigrants...
Very unlikely. So many things need to happen in time for a possible second Scottish referendum in order for it to result in Scotland severing herself @Foo.mp3

Say if Scotland decided to have a second referendum and the turn out was for them to become independent, how long do you think the process would be for this to actually happen? Eg how many months, years?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shooks

I am hoping that as a result of Brexit:

Unemployment will go down
Wages will go up
Immigration will be almost eliminated
No EU red tape
We get to see Jupiter collide with the sun

Ofcourse the first 4 are the least realistic of my expectations.
Original post by stoltguyboo
I as a Swede i'm absolutely thrilled that the UK has decided to regain it's own freedom free from the idiotic legislation and unelected suits in Brussels and Strasbourg i only hope that Sweden and the rest of the EU follow suit this organisation should of stayed a trading bloc and not into a political superstate that it is now.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD TRASH.

I heard Sweden would follow if Britain Left.

Good luck with sexit, I mean swexit
It's not about immigration etc...it's about WHO?! rules you guys.

Unelected folk in Brussels and Strasbourg or people who are elected in the election?

Quick Reply

Latest