The Student Room Group

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Foo.mp3
Someone needs to have a word in the ear of Guardian columnists and point out difference between pre-plebiscite hype/post-electoral hysteria

What they're doing is harmful to the unity/prosperity of the nation. They should grow up, accept outcome, and consider acting in national interest

I thought they'd been rather measured actually but I bow to your greater perceptiveness.

But I wonder if you've listened to James O Brien on LBC.

This guy never stops going on and on and on about the brexiteers and the leave campaign.
Reply 81
Original post by elitepower
I mean the fact we are hearing about an increase of casual racism, there has been repeated stories of incidents following the vote where people are being told to "go home", explains this. We have had to have the Prime Minister and Mayor of London come on and say intolerance is not acceptable because incidents have increased.People believe leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia because after Leave won the refererndum to exit the EU, we have heard of a significant increase in xenophobia.

Two things.

1) If the vote had been narrowly in favour of remain then I for one believe there would be many more such incidents from angry leavers.. Not only that but such incidents would carry on and on until some government finally listened to the millions who worry about the number of immigrants

2) There is a very well known phenomenon in the news media whereby things that are usually not reported for one reason or another suddenly are reported .And this could well be a prime example.

At least some of this 'increase' is not really an increase in racial incidents as in a country of 65 million it would be incredible if a few 100 foreigners were not abused every week. But now if they contact a newspaper the reporter is interested whereas it wouldn't have been newsworthy before.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Two things.

1) If the vote had been narrowly in favour of remain then I for one believe there would be many more such incidents from angry leavers.. Not only that but such incidents would carry on and on until some government finally listened to the millions who worry about the number of immigrants

Certainly, there would be some moaning but hat would have died down after a month or so as the country got on with life. UKIP would continue to be a presence, though, and looking for opportunities to increase its influence, which is what Farage termed "unfinished business"

This, after exit is concluded, is likely not to be the case. However, if exit does not occur then I expect UKIP will get a massive vote at the next general election and both Labour and the Tories will receive a bloodbath.

Original post by moggis

At least some of this 'increase' is not really an increase in racial incidents as in a country of 65 million it would be incredible if a few 100 foreigners were not abused every week. But now if they contact a newspaper the reporter is interested whereas it wouldn't have been newsworthy before.

I believe you are spot on. Let's hope so anyway.
Original post by Good bloke
This is the one that stands out as totally ridiculous and without foundation. It wasn't difficult to travel around western Europe before Britain joined the EU. It is easy to travel to friendly non-EU countries. In fact, it is easy to travel all round the civilised world nowadays, even to China. I can see no reason why tourist travel should become more difficult.

This is true. My father in fact traveled around France, Belgium and Netherlands before the UK joined the EU and he had no difficultly doing so. It posed no problem then, so I don't see why it would pose a problem now.
Reply 84
Original post by Good bloke
Certainly, there would be some moaning but hat would have died down after a month or so as the country got on with life. UKIP would continue to be a presence, though, and looking for opportunities to increase its influence, which is what Farage termed "unfinished business"

This, after exit is concluded, is likely not to be the case. However, if exit does not occur then I expect UKIP will get a massive vote at the next general election and both Labour and the Tories will receive a bloodbath.

I believe you are spot on. Let's hope so anyway.

I have just heard an incredible phone call from a German woman on the aforementioned James OBrien show on LBC . Apparently it can easily be found.

If the call is genuine then perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm truly truly staggered by what I heard to the point where I can't help wondering if in fact it is genuine.

Edit if it is in fact genuine then I do wonder how bad things would have been if leave had lost
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
I have just heard an incredible phone call from a German woman on the aforementioned James OBrien show on LBC . Apparently it can easily be found.

If the call is genuine then perhaps I'm wrong. But I'm truly truly staggered by what I heard to the point where I can't help wondering if in fact it is genuine.

If true, it is a disgrace.
Original post by shooks
Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- It might be harder to get a job in Europe
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
- UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
- It might become harder to travel around Europe
- House prices might become more affordable

For anyone who'd like to join us, we're hosting a live Q&A at 9.30am on 29th June with Dr Philip Catney, Senior Lecturer in Politics, and Robert Ladrech, Professor of European Politics here at Keele.
They'll be discussing the outcome of the EU Referendum, and what this means for the UK.
If you have any questions and would like to get involved with the discussion, you can send them to us in advance;
email [email protected],or get in touch via Twitter @KeeleUniversity, Facebook and Snapchat - keeleuniversity
You can also join in with the debate live on Facebook and Periscope from 9.30am in the morning.
I'm hopeful that Scotland will leave and allow individuals of Scottish descent to claim citizenship.

That's pretty much all I feel hopeful for. Mostly I just feel crushed and depressed about the future, which appears to be of self inflicted economic doom and decline living in an isolationist country trapped with people who think like Nigel Farage...

Add to that an undercurrent of ashamed for living in a country apparently full of closet racists.
Not in the closet any more of course, I guess they are now proud & loud British racists.

Everything I thought was great about Britain and made me proud to live here kind-of seems to have died in a shell overnight on the 23rd of June.
Original post by shooks
Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- It might be harder to get a job in Europe
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
- UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
- It might become harder to travel around Europe
- House prices might become more affordable

If i were able to vote I probably would have voted remain because it would mean that we will continue to support those in need of it, i.e. 'immigrants' However, supposedly easier or increased job employment at graduate level, and more affordable house pricing are substantial benefits to us upcoming Britons.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Answer the question?

So how's Sterling doing?

Looks to have made a very slight gain yesterday, but I reckon that's just because the UK looks set to remain in the single market.

What happened to all the things Leave promised? The bright new future? The sovereignty? I thought the plan was that we leave, the EU beg us to stay to the point that they'd give in to our every demand.

We'd have an amazing new deal before we knew it and things would be better than ever. And anyone who said differently was a scaremonger.

I find it hilarious at how quickly Vote Leave's position has eroded. They may have won the referendum, but the UK will either stay in the EU or have an agreement so similar la Norway) that it makes no difference.

In return, the UK got a rise in hate crime and generally just looks really silly.*
Fear:
- University tuition rising before my 4 years are up.
- General cost of living rising.

Hope:
- Scottish independence
Reply 91
Original post by Foo.mp3
Nope, LBC isn't really my kinda gig, although I rate Julia Hartley-Brewer, NGL :yy:

It's not my kinda gig either . I just believe that people like James O Brien can do far more damage than Guardian journalists . If indeed damage is being done.

(Of course it also has Katy Hopkins but no one takes her seriously I assume.)
Reply 92
Original post by InnerTemple
So how's Sterling doing?

Looks to have made a very slight gain yesterday, but I reckon that's just because the UK looks set to remain in the single market.

What happened to all the things Leave promised? The bright new future? The sovereignty? I thought the plan was that we leave, the EU beg us to stay to the point that they'd give in to our every demand.

We'd have an amazing new deal before we knew it and things would be better than ever. And anyone who said differently was a scaremonger.

I find it hilarious at how quickly Vote Leave's position has eroded. They may have won the referendum, but the UK will either stay in the EU or have an agreement so similar la Norway) that it makes no difference.

In return, the UK got a rise in hate crime and generally just looks really silly.*

Yep.And we are also going to now have Boris Johnson as pm instead of Cameron and a still disunited Tory party and a slowdown in the economy and no doubt other bad things.

As it says in today's Telegraph,if we do have an agreement a la Norway then this whole issue won't be going away and UKIP will continue to take votes from Labour and grow stronger.

It's unfair to blame people for voting leave when it was a once in a lifetime chance to escape the EU.
Original post by Tinka99
Today is a historic day and the day when the UK has become independent from the EU. I am 16 so couldn't vote but if I did I would vote to leave and I am happy the UK has voted to leave and made a sensible decision.

"Sensible"? The consequences thus far prove otherwise my friend.
Original post by andrewUK
i hope as an nation we stop blaming others such as refugees and immigrants for our mistakes. i hope we learn stop letting xenophobia and patriotism govern our minds and instead we do what is best for our future generations. however the EU result destroyed my hope... :frown:

Does that include the older generation who did vote as opposed to most of the younger generation who didn't vote, who are still complaining 5 days on? :yawn:
Reply 95
Original post by XcitingStuart
What are you smoking? :eyeball:

Immigration isn't the sole reason for which someone might want to leave the EU.
Xenophobia and patriotism aren't the only possible things to necessitate the hate for the EU.

Why the heck would you think leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia?

You clearly haven't read the news. Attacks on Polish embassy, racial chanting, verbal and physical abuse directed at foreigners. I don't think xenophobia will increase, I know it will increase and we have seen it.
https://next.ft.com/content/d6c3c43e-3c66-11e6-8716-a4a71e8140b0
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

And just to prove I'm not being bias here is a pro-leave paper
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662114/Reports-attacks-Poles-Muslims-wake-Brexit-vote.html
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
EU is a dictatorship. The sooner we get out and make new trade deals, the better. We can do this, and Im really happy that we Voted Leave. All we need to do now is make sure we Leave the EU as a whole, elect a good Leave campaign Prime Minister, and activate Article 50 after building new relationships.

Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, said anyone wanting access to the EU's internal market had to adhere to strict criteria "without exception". <---- Dictatorship
I'm concerned about a rise in xenophobic and racial abuse directed at groups of people, but this was inevitable whatever the outcome of the referendum
Original post by andrewUK
You clearly haven't read the news. Attacks on Polish embassy, racial chanting, verbal and physical abuse directed at foreigners. I don't think xenophobia will increase, I know it will increase and we have seen it.
https://next.ft.com/content/d6c3c43e-3c66-11e6-8716-a4a71e8140b0
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

And just to prove I'm not being bias here is a pro-leave paper
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662114/Reports-attacks-Poles-Muslims-wake-Brexit-vote.html
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That is not a study.
Also as someone with insight mentioned, there's a phenomenon that is was always there, but now reporters are looking for it.
Yes, there might be more reported attacks; the operative word being reported.
Reply 99
Original post by Foo.mp3
Pretty good, thanks, up from 1.30 to 1.35 :yy:

In Economics, 'long-term' generally means years, rather than days, famalam

On its way, in due course (lot of work to be done in the meantime)

Direct quote?

Direct quote?

Direct quote?

Direct quote?

1) Would result in civil revolt; 2) Cameron has made it crystal clear that the EU cannot expect the UK to sign up to free movement, as is

Regrettable, and deplorable, but near-inevitable in the sociological circumstances vs. historic record of complete unwillingness of political elites to engage, properly, with the issue of non-Demoratically mandated mass-immigration, up until now

IDK your frame of reference but I'll take your word for it

I appreciate you have already said you will take my word for it but after what I heard today I wanted to explain that I take a lot of cabs in London and a lot of cab drivers -mostly mini cab drivers but also black cabs-seem to listen to LBC and that's how I came to hear him.But Im sure LBC has a reasonably large day time audience figure as well.

The main point though is that whereas the Guardian is surely read mostly by the type of person who is if not necessarily that intelligent then unlikely to form dangerously wrong conclusions from what they have read, the average LBC listener is ,er,well a cab driver.

I listened to this guy today and what he does is very very close to deliberately making certain people angry-and not simply to increase listening figures - because he himself is angry.What other agenda he may have I cant say .But I suspect he may have one.

Hes a very intelligent,quick -witted man and he is able to give the impression that he is just being very concerned when actually,for example, he seems to be deliberately accusing the whole leave campaign including the press of being directly responsible for the increase in racist incidents.And that while not all leave supporters are racists "10-15% " are.

Now perhaps that doesn't matter. More likely than not it doesn't.(Indeed I only mentioned it because you mentioned The Guardian originally )Perhaps the 10s of 1000s of cab drivers and others won't draw any conclusions which they then pass on to others. But this guy would probably make me angry if I listened regularly while this upheaval is going on. (Although I see that a lot of people think he a t*** so perhaps he shouldn't be taken that seriously.)

Whereas no Guardian journalist has ever made me angry.

I really hope that you can give this guy a listen one day and if possible your opinion on the German woman's phone call . Some of the things the woman said don't add up to me.

Anyway sorry to go on .No need to reply.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending