The Student Room Group

What does Brexit means for young people? Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AGareth10
Will learning languages be affected, as I study German, presumably depends on what trading deal the government negotiates?

Continue to learn German since this will be the sole powerhouse in the EU after the UK departs. Whether you work in the UK who trade in Germany or decide to find work in Germany your knowledge of the language will be of high value and an asset to you.
How will it affect applying to European universities? Will we pay european fees or 'international' fees?
what will this do to employment oppurtunities in the uk?
Original post by nisha.sri
How would Brexit affect education ?

It limits your ability to learn and train in the other 27 states. Both postgraduate and undergraduate courses are often cheaper and taught in English and funded under the Erasmus programme.

All University regulations have been harmonised so that there is a standard you can expect and transfer modules and/or credits. This is known as the Bologna declaration.
Will we have a greater chance of getting into top universities?
Original post by Darren Sharpe
Continue to learn German since this will be the sole powerhouse in the EU after the UK departs. Whether you work in the UK who trade in Germany or decide to find work in Germany your knowledge of the language will be of high value and an asset to you.

Agreed - keep learning a 2nd language.

But AGareth already has the greatest home advantage, the English language, the only international business language.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scrawlx101
what will this do to employment oppurtunities in the uk?

Not good news am afraid. EU citizens will decide to stay or go. Some who go will take their business with them. For instance, I live with an Italian who employees three Brits. The idea that new jobs will become available once slowing mobility from the EU is not straightforward. You will still be competing for positions with individuals from the rest of the world.
If I am looking to go and work in the financial services industry, will I have to move out of the U.K.?
Original post by PeepLeal
Will EU students applying to university courses starting in 2017 see their tuition increased? Or will it remain the same until the UK officially leaves the EU (in two years time)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, tuition fees should remain the same during the transition period, however, students coming on Erasmus Plus might be affected once a departure date has been decided.
I have two questions:

a) Do you think, that the variety of courses and of research in the UK will suffer? I think in particular of courses, that dealt with international politics, which attracted a lot of students from the EU. I just somehow thinks it will be difficult to do research in a country, which is no more active in your chosen field. Or do you think, that the UK universities can stay as strong as they are now? (As I said mainly thinking of all social and political sciences dealing with international/EU politics, not e.g. pure math courses.)

b) Will the young generation grew up more isolated than before or will the interest in the neighbouring countries maybe even increase, now the possibilities are probably gone?
Original post by xMariex
Well apparently now that we've left the EU, money that we originally spent on the EU can be used for the NHS to make it better. That's what I heard anyways! :biggrin:

Oh yeah but i saw news which said Nigel farage called that a mistake... Although he hasn't actually got any power over that.. Right? D:
As an aspiring trader of the financial markets, will the Brexit affect my chances of pursuing my dream?
Original post by Trapz99
If I am looking to go and work in the financial services industry, will I have to move out of the U.K.?

Some financial jobs might move offshore (due to cheaper labour and reg requirements) in the short-run.

Financial services (esp Investment Banking etc) is shrinking world-wide at the moment. But if there is growth, the UK will be the main beneficiary, we have the best and deepest talent pool in the world (yes, even better than NY).

London/UK outside the EU will be a super size Switzerland.
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
As an aspiring trader of the financial markets, will the Brexit affect my chances of pursuing my dream?

See above..
Original post by Pickles
With 51.9% of the UK voting to leave the EU, the big question is: what happens next? What does Brexit mean and how will it affect young people?

Dr Darren Sharpe joins us on TSR today to help answer your questions on the UK’s exit from the EU.

Dr Sharpe, a sociologist at the University of East London, is a leading expert on the social, economic and cultural issues that affect young people.

Add your Brexit questions for Dr Sharpe he’ll be online this afternoon (24 June), time to be confirmed.

I'm a musician and I work with clients both in and out of the EU to support my university fees which will continue for the next three years. Will the transition from in to out over the next two years be smooth, or will there suddenly come a time when i have to suspend all my work in order to adapt to new legal requirements and submit multiple tax returns for each individual european country, as I have to with the IRS for my clients in the US?
Original post by xMariex
Well apparently now that we've left the EU, money that we originally spent on the EU can be used for the NHS to make it better. That's what I heard anyways! :biggrin:

Nigel Farage has now said in an interview that it was a mistake to say that as it is unlikely going to happen. He waited until after the decision to give us that information though
Reply 56
I need to find a research fund for my engineering PhD project. Even though, I am not european, still I am worrying about the result of Brexit because every information said that total research fund will be decreased because about 1 billion pound of research fund from EU will not come to the UK anymore. I want to know how much research fund will be decreased in 4 years in the UK and how international student tuition fee will be changed in the future.
Original post by Pickles
With 51.9% of the UK voting to leave the EU, the big question is: what happens next? What does Brexit mean and how will it affect young people?

Dr Darren Sharpe joins us on TSR today to help answer your questions on the UK’s exit from the EU.

Dr Sharpe, a sociologist at the University of East London, is a leading expert on the social, economic and cultural issues that affect young people.

Add your Brexit questions for Dr Sharpe he’ll be online this afternoon (24 June), time to be confirmed.

Why is the value of the pound dropping? What will Brexit mean for our Economy?
I am a 16 year old A level student currently and as a hopeful university student, (in 2 years time) will this affect the cost of uni.. will the bursary scheme come back? Will travelling be more expensive? Will the diveristy of universities seem to seis? Will I have less oppurtunities in studying abroad?
Possibly asked before but, I'm going to study in Europe his September (next if I don't get my grades in august) will my tuition fees alter to that of a non EU student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending