The Student Room Group

What does Brexit means for young people? Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

This is definitelt terrifying especially for us young people who want opportunities and need them to get anywhere in life right now. Why did this have to happen? People are saying we will be fine one minute and doomed the next. I feel just as confused and I am glad people are starting to take it seriouly
Original post by marshmelly
This is definitelt terrifying especially for us young people who want opportunities and need them to get anywhere in life right now. Why did this have to happen? People are saying we will be fine one minute and doomed the next. I feel just as confused and I am glad people are starting to take it seriouly

I just feel like us young people have been thrown into another experiment by older people and we will have to be the ones finding jobs in this climate, trying to build continental relationships in these conditions. I just feel a little sick to be honest. I don't get people trying to defend this - even those defences start with "Its not the end of the world" which indicates its far from good or even OK.
Original post by Alba2013
Any idea what will happen to EU students who meet the residency eligibility criteria to apply as home students and receive student loans and grants? Will they lose them half way through their degree?

I do not know the percise answer to this question. I would imagine thhat existing grants will be honoured and grants issued during the withdrawal period will be capped.
Original post by elitepower
I just feel like us young people have been thrown into another experiment by older people and we will have to be the ones finding jobs in this climate, trying to build continental relationships in these conditions. I just feel a little sick to be honest. I don't get people trying to defend this - even those defences start with "Its not the end of the world" which indicates its far from good or even OK.

I couldn't agree with you more. People like Nigel Farage have said they won't actually put the 350 million into the NHS and that it was a mistake. The leave canpaign has mislead a lot of people. There should be a second referendum like seriously everyone thinks we will be fine and we might be but no one can say that for definite.
Original post by AVA05
Hi maybe someone already ask the question, but I'm super duper worried I've been waiting for the postgraduate loan student for ages ! Will the br exit affect the right of European students to apply to postgraduate loan For masters starting in September 2016 ?
Thanks

The PG loan for 2016 shouldn't be affected. Legislation has already gone through and applications open soon. The government won't even officially start negotiations until October 2016.

Any changes to the PGloan will therefore come in later on (so if income to the government is affecting by changes to the economy there is a risk that the PG loans could be restricted or removed from 2017).
What about the 2017/18 applicants? Will they be able to get student loans for all 3 years? Since it was mentioned that the leaving won't happen until 2020.
Original post by sumaya.m
would legal EU citizens currently living, working or even studying here have to leave uk?

No absolutely not, you do not have to worry about that. It may be more expensive to study at some point in the future though
How will Brexit affect EU citizens applying for university in the UK? Will there be changes with the application process, uni fees and eligibility for the student loan? If so, will these changes take effect only in two years when an agreement between the EU and the UK is made, or maybe even sooner? And will people who'll already have started their degree when changes are made be affected too, or only those who apply at that point?

I don't even dare to ask if there are any asnwers to these questions already... :/
If I have dual-citizenship with another EU country but live here, does that mean I would be able to keep privileges like the Ehic and and free border movement, assuming the UK backed out of these?
Original post by Jodorowsky
I am an italian prospective student. I am going to study in Scotland from September 2016, but Brexit is worrying me because if I'll be categorised as overseas student I couldn't afford the tuition fees and I should leave the course after two years without getting a degree...I feel lost. What should I do?

It´s worrying me too, I am going to England for three years. I don´t believe that whatever happens that it will happen that fast.
What will happen to the UK's links with the ESA?
Will Brexit reduce the amount of EU migrants coming to our universities, and consequently will it become slightly less competitive for a British Citizen to get a place on a competitive university course?
Reply 92
Hi, I am Polish girl in 20s wanting to live in London. I have a few questions.

Will I be able to move to London easily to work? I am freelance web designer with experience, but I do not know I can find a job with a UK firm or not. Can I still live in the UK as freelancer? (not claiming Benefits)

I am not moving to UK immediately, when will UK make immigration change?

I have worked previously in UK for 1 year as a Barista and speak English

2. My boyfriend is British and is applying to City of London, in finance. How will this affect him? Is City of London really moving abroad?
(edited 7 years ago)
http://wonkhe.com/blogs/live-britain-votes-to-leave-the-eu/#all-wonks-aboard-hms-brexit is an excellent summary of "what happens next" and when things should start to become clear.

"Once Article 50 is triggered, the balance of power falls the other 27 EU states they have to unanimously agree the deal that is presented to Britain. What if they present a settlement that even a Brexit government cannot agree to?" is a very interesting point.

The fact that negotiations about retaining access to the single market (and the likely free movement implications of that) come AFTER we negotiate to leave the EU. Which implies we could end up with a situation that in 2 years time EU students will be considered "international" but in 3-5 years time they'll be back to the same eligibility as currently.

For students deciding on whether to commit to a degree that lasts 3 years from 2016 - contact your universities. Many have issued statements today promising to honour the current fee status for EU students for the entirety of their degree. They may also put in place funding to help support you if the government remove support (note though that in the past any changes to funding have only ever been applied to new students - I can't imagine any government withdrawing funding mid-degree for EU students).
Original post by Magdax
Hi, I am Polish girl wanting to live in London. I have a few questions.

1. Will I be able to move to London easily to work? I am freelance web designer with experience, but I do not know I can find a job with a UK firm or not. Can I still live in the UK as freelancer? (not claiming Benefits)

I have worked previously in UK for 1 year as a Barista and speak English

2. My boyfriend is British and is applying to City of London, in finance. How will this affect him? Is City of London really moving abroad?

There's no change to freedom of movement for EU citizens expected until negotiation is completed with the EU over the next 2+ years.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/06/martins-reaction-to-brexit has some information on what might happen to the financial markets/city jobs. If your boyfriend is employed then it's unlikely that even when the negotiations to leave are finished that he would be refused a visa at that point.
Original post by CharlotteHavs
Will Brexit reduce the amount of EU migrants coming to our universities, and consequently will it become slightly less competitive for a British Citizen to get a place on a competitive university course?

As far as free movement goes across EU countries goes, absolutely nothing changes, because the EU has nothing to do with it. The only immigration which leaving the EU can affect is the immigration or asylum seeking prospects of non-Europeans.

Every EU country is also a signee on another joint effort called the EEA (European Economic Area). In addition there are also some extra countries that are EEA members that are not EU members. These are Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Norway. EEA gives trade agreements between member states and also provides right of free movement, barring that outsiders cannot simply live in Swiss/Liechtenstein because their terms are quite unique, in that they have right of refusal and yearly quotas of how many people they accept in order to protect their small landmass from overcrowding. Liechtenstein for example is only 6 miles from one side to the other and contains roughly 37'000 inhabitants. Swiss on the other hand is actually mostly Alpine land and is thus inhabitable for half the year due to heavy snowfall. Every other EEA member gives the right of free movement to other member states for both living and working.

So don't worry about your status in the UK as a European migrant. It won't be affected whatsoever. Here's a useful link to help you inform yourself. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eea-and-swiss-nationals-free-movement-rights
One of my main concerns is regarding foreign language degrees with a year abroad; which im fairly sure is funded via ERASMUS?

As i wont be on such a year abroad for another 4 years, does this mean the funding will have been removed? Im just worried as i consider it an essential part of the degree.
Original post by PQ
There's no change to freedom of movement for EU citizens expected until negotiation is completed with the EU over the next 2+ years.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/06/martins-reaction-to-brexit has some information on what might happen to the financial markets/city jobs. If your boyfriend is employed then it's unlikely that even when the negotiations to leave are finished that he would be refused a visa at that point.

Even after 2 years nothing will change, that is unless the UK holds a referendum to also leave the EEA, but doing so would be absolutely disastrous because that is our last chance at trading with Europe, and the EEA also provides right of free movement across the EU and Swiss/Liechtenstein/Norway (non-EU countries that are signees in the EEA)
Reply 98
Original post by PQ

Thank you, so the changes do not come in before 2 years? I have read on sites that some of them are made before.

So if immigration rules only changes at the end, should I come in sooner as a freelancer and then I am likely to be able to stay? Or does it not affect visa application?
Original post by Plagioclase
If I have dual-citizenship with another EU country but live here, does that mean I would be able to keep privileges like the Ehic and and free border movement, assuming the UK backed out of these?

Depends, whether you would be allowed to keep the two citizenships, not all countries allow dual citizenship and the EU citizens have kind of a special agreement to keep both citizenships. Whether that right will be taken for you, depends on the countries, you have citizenship of. Thus no general answer possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending