The Student Room Group

Are these A-Levels ok?

I've just completed my GCSEs and I'm now in the process of choosing my A-Levels. I'm probably going to go for English Literature, Psychology and Economics.

I wish to study Law, English or Psychology at university [most probably Law] so would these A-Levels be suitable?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhoebeAlex
I've just completed my GCSEs are I'm now in the process of choosing my A-Levels. I'm probably going to go for English Literature, Psychology and Economics.

I wish to study Law, English or Psychology at university [most probably Law] so would these A-Levels be suitable?

Those A Levels look fine, although perhaps you could consider swapping Economics for History? History is helpful for both English and Law, and would also give you a second facilitating subject. Just an idea of course! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Those A Levels look fine, although perhaps you could consider swapping Economics for History? History is helpful for both English and Law, and would also give you a second facilitating subject. Just an idea of course! :smile:

Thank you for your help! It's good to have some reassurance that I'm not completely messing up my choices. Ideally I'd take History, however I chose Geography over History for GCSE due to having a terrible History teacher at the time and I feel as though I'd be too behind to do well at it for A-Level :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard universities hate studentS who had study law prior to uni. Cause apparently the A level course teaches you there is a right or wrong way to approach where there isn't, if that helps. Do Politics instead , very interesting and you can drop 20 marks in each paper and still get an A*
Thank you for your help! It's good to have some reassurance that I'm not completely messing up my choices. Ideally I'd take History, however I chose Geography over History for GCSE due to having a terrible History teacher at the time and I feel as though I'd be too behind to do well at it for A-Level :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cover different topics in A-level than in GCSE, at my school you are allowed to take it for a level without having done it at gcse
Original post by Sugar_1998
I heard universities hate studentS who had study law prior to uni. Cause apparently the A level course teaches you there is a right or wrong way to approach where there isn't, if that helps. Do Politics instead , very interesting and you can drop 20 marks in each paper and still get an A*

Law isn't one of her choices

I've just completed my GCSEs and I'm now in the process of choosing my A-Levels. I'm probably going to go for English Literature, Psychology and Economics.

They're perfect :smile:
Oopsie need to work on my reading skills

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does your college specify that you need GCSE History in order to do the A Level? If not, then it shouldn't matter too much that you didn't take it for GCSE :smile:
Reply 9
Does your college specify that you need GCSE History in order to do the A Level? If not, then it shouldn't matter too much that you didn't take it for GCSE :smile:

It's recommended, but not compulsory. I think I'm just put off taking it because I haven't done it since Year 9 and I'm scared to go into something that'll have a class full of people who are familiar with the subject already, if that makes sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's recommended, but not compulsory. I think I'm just put off taking it because I haven't done it since Year 9 and I'm scared to go into something that'll have a class full of people who are familiar with the subject already, if that makes sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I understand that! I took up a subject at A Level that I'd never studied before (Geology), and it turned out to be my best subject, and I'm actually going to do a degree in it! You may find that too, try not to be put off by not having studied History for a while! :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah I understand that! I took up a subject at A Level that I'd never studied before (Geology), and it turned out to be my best subject, and I'm actually going to do a degree in it! You may find that too, try not to be put off by not having studied History for a while! :smile:

Thank you for all your help, you've been a lot more helpful than anyone at my school - I have a lot to think about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for all your help, you've been a lot more helpful than anyone at my school - I have a lot to think about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! Good luck with your decision :h:
You shouldn't be afraid of going back to history, most school and Sixth Forms will have transition lessons, where they prepare the students for the course; there were people in my AS history class who hadn't done the GCSE, and they all seemed to do okay.

You'll be fine! As for other A-level choices, they're a fantastic choice for developing the skills needed for uni and beyond :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just take the subjects you think you'll enjoy, good luck!:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry about that, normally the syllabus is different between A-Level and GCSE. I have friends who are doing A-Level history who didn't do it at GCSE so if thats what you want to do, just go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest