The Student Room Group

Why are young people so pro-EU?

Why are so many young people (known for left liberal views) in favour of remaining in the EU when it is a capitalist totalitarian union that is anti-democratic by design?

Scroll to see replies

Many would say they support one or the other but they don't know why really.
'Cos the squad thinks so init'
They don't have the nostalgia suffered by the older generation which causes them to yearn to go back to a vision of Britain which never really existed.
Because we are the most educated and enlightened whilst everyone else is uneducated and probably a racist. Especially those old white people.
" Because my friends like the EU, so obviously like it can't be that bad like right like? "

"like"
Reply 5
Because we dont give a **** about the EU making petty laws like "a limit on maximum volume". And we care about the economy and our future than "sovereignty". Nationalism is dead. deal with it.
Original post by Dr_Negligible
Why are so many young people (known for left liberal views) in favour of remaining in the EU when it is a capitalist totalitarian union that is anti-democratic by design?

Because it offers opportunity? Why would you choose to stay in the garden when the garden gate is open?
Young people are generally more idealistic.

I also hate to generalise but from what I've heard people my own age saying, they also seem to be extremely liberal and I think this also influences how they vote.
Because it's their future on the line
More people need to be educated, not just university students. This can be remedied with mandatory teaching of politics in high schools. Please sign my petition if you agree.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-mp-mandatory-teaching-of-politics-in-high-schools
Reply 10
We don't hold backward views on people from different cultures, race, social class, sexuality. We perceive society to be secular and accepting. Most of the time I hear people who are voting 'Leave' because of immigration. I don't see mass immigration here, try being in Greece, Italy or Turkey and you'll see how they are coping when the floodgates opened.
Original post by Dr_Negligible

For the creamy French memes.
Reply 12
Because they're not stupid.
Why are Brexiters so paranoid?
IMG-20160624-WA0012.jpg
Reply 15
I think it's because we want stability. Lots of young people will be heading out to university, getting involved in big-boy finance and we don't want to risk it. We've created a dream future for ourselves in our heads, where we'll end up, what we want to do, and leaving the EU jeopardises that.
Additionally, many want to travel the world, and leaving means that'll be harder.

We don't actually know the outcome of this referendum, and therefore our future could be on the line and at such a stressful time we don't want that.

Generally, young people are a lot more open minded and have been part of a multicultural society. I have met many (legal) immigrants and they've been very friendly (probably more so than fellow Brits).

Personally, I think the world shouldn't be separating itself. We should be coming together to live under one identity; filled with mixed cultures and what not. I dream of a world where borders don't exist, where people are classified as people and not by where they come from.
"I dream of a world where borders don't exist, where people are classified as people and not by where they come from."

While you are busy dreaming . . . one or more of those cultures will take over and run things how they want to run them. At that point YOU will suddenly wake up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ahem, just figure I should point out once again that the EU is NOT undemocratic by design. They use a very similar democratic system to our own, i.e. we elect parties in the EU, which then select their own members to become ministers. If you consider the EU undemocratic, then you should also consider the UK undemocratic.

And the impact on our economy is already being seen, and it will worsen in the coming years.

Also, David Cameron's just resigned; which means Boris Johnson has a very real chance of becoming our Priminister for the next few years.(Boris might seem like a cool guy, but he's actually a lot more corrupt and self-serving than David has ever been)

Ah well; here's to hoping the economy's crash and other issues that occur while the Tories rule us will finally wake up all the people who keep voting them back in /:

I must say I'm very disappointed in many of the so-called liberals that are annoyed at this result though. I've seen so much outcry for the results of the referendum to be ignored, and there's been a petition for a 2nd referendum. Seriously people; no matter how stupid the majority's decision is, if we ignore that decision, then we'll be abandoning our democracy. That's in direct opposition to most liberal policies. I hate that some of those people still call themselves liberals. They're probably the same people who advocate hate speech laws, which anyone with any sense would see heavily conflicting with free speech ideals.
Reply 18
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
"I dream of a world where borders don't exist, where people are classified as people and not by where they come from."While you are busy dreaming . . . one or more of those cultures will take over and run things how they want to run them. At that point YOU will suddenly wake up.

What I'm trying to say here is that by remaining as close as possible to other cultures, we are breaking down cultural segregation that is at the heart of racism. The human race is stronger united together; you don't have to agree.
My choice of the word 'dream' was very particular... I am aware the goal is unrealistic at this moment in time, but it is definitely achievable - examples of where 'impossibilities' are shown to not be so are scattered throughout history. It seems you are only looking in the near future where you will still be alive; for our grandsons and granddaughters, the world will be better united together.

Again, you do not have to agree.
Reply 19
I am a young person.

I am strongly anti-EU.

I am very happy today.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending