Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Disgusted with the bashing of Brexit voters

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by 09craige)
    Based on lies??are you actually serious? Based on all of the lies dav cam told to try and scare people into remaining, the margin between remain and leave was much smaller than it should have been. The remain side seemed to think scaremongering was okay.
    And forecasts are not lies. When someone says they can't gurantee something, it does not mean it is a lie.
    The economy will be just fine as soon as it settles down. And it would appear that we are not the only country smart enough to realise what is right as France, Italy and Holland are now trying to get referendums on the Euro membership.
    The Eu will collapse soon.
    A couple of examples of the lies pedalled by mainstream media outles:

I find it hard to believe that at least some leave voters would not have based their decisions on such claims (why, even the Daily Mail editorial used the '60% of laws come from the EU' line). Ergo, many believe leave votes were made on false claims.

Yes, some Remain voters may have voted based on 'lies' (although the worst of the remain argument was OTT warnings) but, I believe, nowhere close to the volume of leave voters.

What a ****.

The FTSE 100 has almost completely recovered from the loss. A little loss in the stock market is nothing unusual, plus people losing money in the stock market because of this is nothing unusual. This has nothing to do with the money UK has but how much individuals have lost from gambling.

(Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I voted remain, and I am disgusted by the behaviour of other remain voters. What I find even more unbearable than the bashing of leave voters, is the complaining by the neoliberals about how we were ****ed over by uneducated racists and by over 65s who won't be alive to see the consequences blah blah blah. Wtf do you think we should've done instead? Limited the referendum to those under the age of 26 with a university degree who vote Labour? And surprise surprise - they've only gone a started a petition for another referendum because they didn't get the result they wanted. Remember guys, democracy is only good if it goes the way you want it to. If not, protest and throw all your toys out the pram. The exact same thing happened at last year's general election. It's pathetic. We should be ashamed of ourselves.
    Agreed with this, I hate seeing all this elderly bashing on social media. My Mum and two grandparents who are still alive fall into the 65+ category. My Grandparents both worked their socks off from age 14 to 60 something, my granddad also served in the Navy and Army in WW2, my Mum first worked in my grandparents business then worked after getting her degree and is still working now. So I think they have all very much earned their right to vote, even if it isn't the same way you or I agree with. At the local elections I filled in my granddads postal ballot form as his eyesight isn't good enough and he wanted to support a party different to the one I support, no problem, I filled it in as he requested without grumbling.

All I see rn

(Original post by ThatPerson)
    Please explain precisely how immigration has directly negatively affected you? Immigration is good for the economy, the problems that people blame on immigration (pressure on housing, education, jobs, etc) are caused by the policies of the incumbent government, not immigration itself.

The argument against the EU is nonsensical. If we want to trade with the EU we have to abide by the same regulations made by the "oligarchy in Brussels", we now just can't influence those regulations.

Oh, and Obama himself said a trade deal with America would not be a priority (and rightly so from an American perspective) so that's not likely to happen any time soon.
    Immigration will be even better for the economy if it's capped. I'm not against immigration in the least - but I do think it's a mistake to have open borders. If we only give access to immigrants contributing to our economy or coming for education etc., the benefits of immigration will ameliorate even further because we won't be taking in those who offer nothing to our economy. People need to stop assuming Brexit voters are all anti-immigration. Why is it so wrong to want to regulate our borders just like we do for every other non-EU country?

The trading arrangements with the EU remain to be seen, and they could become very preferable if other countries like France follow us out of the EU. Indeed that's a big if, but at the end of the day the EU will only be able to withstand a certain amount of mutiny from the big players like the UK, Germany, France etc.

Obama said this today:

'The people of the United Kingdom have spoken, and we respect their decision,” Mr. Obama said. “The United Kingdom and the European Union will remain indispensable partners of the United States even as they begin negotiating their ongoing relationship to ensure continued stability, security, and prosperity for Europe, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the world.'

As 'indispensable partners of the United States', I think you're wrong to assert that arranging trade deals with the UK isn't a priority for the US.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.