The Student Room Group

Petition for mandatory teaching of Politics in High Schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mojojojo101
The media creates bias, I agree, but that doesn't mean that any educational establishment won't.

Combating bias with more bias is not exactly helping in my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. But I strongly believe that education is important. But I do understand your point. But at this point in our history, education can only help, in my opinion.
The last thing we need is for left-wing teachers and pupils to bully free-thinking students into choosing their political ideas.
Why would they be left wing, that's a hell of a generalisation to make.
Obvious fascist upset with the outcome wants to indoctrinate people into only believing what she believes.
I voted leave.
Original post by welshiee
Obvious fascist upset with the outcome wants to indoctrinate people into only believing what she believes.

Even though he didn't know I voted leave, he made judgement and assumed I'm a remainer because I want education in the system. This is exactly my point about social divide.
Original post by katiemariefryer
Even though he didn't know I voted leave, he made judgement and assumed I'm a remainer because I want education in the system. This is exactly my point about social divide.

Well then you should know better. Its bad enough now with universities churning out know it all politics students who think they are right on everything and everyone else is beneath them. We live in a world whereby people who go to university think they are experts in something which is beyond the realms of utter delusion. The last thing we need are more deluded Laurie Penny's preaching to everyone about how they're marginalised and the world is not fair. Boo hoo!
So teaching people basic facts at high school level is a wrong thing to do. Teaching kids the difference between left wing and right wing, teaching them how many seats are needed to win an election, what having a seat means, the role of an MP etc. How would this cause any left or right wing opinions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Political education won't help. People don't know how to think. They don't know the difference between a fact, a lie, and something they've just made up themselves. It's a waste of time teaching people politics when they're just going to latch on to the first catchy headline they see and jump on the bandwagon without it even occurring to them that maybe they should check their facts.
Original post by JordanL_
Political education won't help. People don't know how to think. They don't know the difference between a fact, a lie, and something they've just made up themselves. It's a waste of time teaching people politics when they're just going to latch on to the first catchy headline they see and jump on the bandwagon without it even occurring to them that maybe they should check their facts.

But surely they would be then taught that the media is bias, and often certain broadcasting companies side with one political argument or another, same with the newspapers. Therefore would know to check their facts. This may be obvious to you and me, but some people really just need telling. I just personally think its worth a try.
Original post by katiemariefryer
But surely they would be then taught that the media is bias, and often certain broadcasting companies side with one political argument or another, same with the newspapers. Therefore would know to check their facts. This may be obvious to you and me, but some people really just need telling. I just personally think its worth a try.

I think it's about teaching skills. You can tell people that the media is biased, but they won't necessarily understand it, and they won't know how to evaluate and verify things. It's something that should play a part in the teaching of every subject.

Michael Gove's reforms took a lot of the focus off of critical thinking and back to rote learning. I wonder what reason Gove would have would trying to keep people stupid.....?
Well something needs to be taught, even if it is just critical thinking but I was under the impression that was done at A level, we need something before they leave school.
Logic, semantics, semiotics, history of political philosophy as well, and economy perhaps. That is what everybody need.
I agree, we get taught so much stuff at High School that we don't actually need later on in life, why aren't we taught the subjects we do need?
Reply 35
Original post by PTMalewski
Good idea, but I don't think that this will do a major difference.

I have a degree in political science, and I know many persons who have such degree as well. Lots of them can't understand basic laws of economy or logic, even though they had courses and had to pass exams on that subjects. They often listen to what they want to hear only. From my observation, the most intelligent, curious and open minded persons, made became the best political scientists- which doesn't mean that they had the best marks! Best marks are achieved by heart-learners-do-every-possible-project-for-additional-ECTS-points-no-matter-abut-what-and-what-I-understood.

I think that studies often only make people to achieve another level of being retarded. Simplified example: a simpleton may be racist, so he wants country's boarders to be shut.
An "educated retard" knows that racism is wrong, so he keeps boarders open whatever happens.
A truly intelligent person may find out, that the matter is more complicated than 0-1 solution and more extensive than only a question of race. So If the question is about danger from terrorists, the intelligent person can make sipleton's decision, because he is aware that most of the Orbital Teapot's followers are not terrorists, but If only 1% of them are terrorists, and one million is coming in, this means that 10 000 of terrorists are coming in.

In Poland we have lessons of politics in high schools and in junior high schools, and most of pupils are as foolish on the subject as vegetables. Actually, they are getting worse, because true problem is somewhere else.

As soon as someone starts using words like "retard" my estimation of their intelligence drops by about 50%.
Original post by offhegoes
As soon as someone starts using words like "retard" my estimation of their intelligence drops by about 50%.

If I were malignant, I would say the same on using an ad personam argument.
Perhaps I used inadequate word, I don't know as much about English as natives, as you see.
Shame there isnt a poll. Would have voted not as a bad idea.
Reply 38
Original post by PTMalewski
If I were malignant, I would say the same on using an ad personam argument.
Perhaps I used inadequate word, I don't know as much about English as natives, as you see.

The word "libtards" contains all its venom withing the "tards" part, coming from "retards". Many people no doubt use that word, but for me it has no place in the 21st century amongst intelligent, compassionate people.
Original post by offhegoes
The word "libtards" contains all its venom withing the "tards" part, coming from "retards". Many people no doubt use that word, but for me it has no place in the 21st century amongst intelligent, compassionate people.

Next time I'll remember that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending