Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Just finished second year applying for masters 2017 entry

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I've just finished my second year of university at a below average university (ranking around 60). I finished first year with a 64 but I've dropped to a 60 at second year because of one module that didn't go so well. I aim to actually hit the books in third year as all of these results were me working at the last minute etc. What's the likelihood of me getting into a top 25 university for masters? Most of them expect upper 2:1s to firsts... I could probably get an upper 2:1 but when I apply they would only have access to my transcripts from year 1 and 2. Any advice? Is applying later, around January to February too risky? This way they would hopefully be able to see my improvements from the start of third year.

Apply when the admissions cycle opens and send the required transcripts. Unis just want a 2.1 so you'll be fine. These processes can take months so when you have more grades update the uni.

Any offer would be conditional on you achieving a 2i or First - that simple.

My Masters uni didn't ask for transcripts at the application stage (I applied early in my third year). They gave me a conditional offer based on two good academic references and a 2:1 or First as my final grade. My references were confirmed as acceptable two months after I applied. When my final degree grade was issued, I was required to scan and email my final transcript. At that point my place was confirmed.

Each uni can set its own application process, but if you don't have to produce a transcript until after you have an offer, there will be no issue as long as you get that all-important upper 2:1/First (and your referees are confident that you will achieve it). Even if you do need to show your first/second year transcript during your application, your referees should be able to give your prospective Masters uni a measure of confidence that your final grade will be up to standard.

Do beware that uni referees aren't like school uni referees. Academia is a small community and nobody wants a reputation for writing inflated or over-optimistic references. Your uni referees will tell it like it is, so be realistic about your prospects in order to avoid disappointment. If you aren't realistic, they will be realistic for you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.