The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What's the difference between a student village and campus living?

I'm in the process of choosing accommodation, and I wondered what is the difference between a student hall and campus living, as I am given the choice between the two.
Also, what are the pros and cons of each one? This will help me inform my decision.
I thank you in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile:

From what I gather, a student village will consist of many complexes where students stay in a certain area? And they'll obviously need to travel to uni but there'll be an area where a lot of student accommodation is concentrated.

Campus living is presumably actually having your accomodation on campus i.e. being a five minute walk away.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Will Shakespeare
I'm in the process of choosing accommodation, and I wondered what is the difference between a student hall and campus living, as I am given the choice between the two.
Also, what are the pros and cons of each one? This will help me inform my decision.

Greenbank and Carnatic are 2-3 miles away from campus with a bus, they also have meals as well. Vine Court on campus has the choice of meals as well. The other on campus accommodation has more en-suites and I think some blocks are entirely en-suite, such as Crown Place. Also they're a lot closer to lectures etc. What subject have you applied for?
Original post by Edminzodo
Greenbank and Carnatic are 2-3 miles away from campus with a bus, they also have meals as well. Vine Court on campus has the choice of meals as well. The other on campus accommodation has more en-suites and I think some blocks are entirely en-suite, such as Crown Place. Also they're a lot closer to lectures etc. What subject have you applied for?

I've applied for English, and I've put Liverpool as my firm.
I'd rather self-catered just because I am a terrible eater, and it would save me money. From what I have read online, it seems like all first year undergrads apply to one of the two student villages. Can you offer any light on what life in somewhere like Crown Place is for a first year? Thank you ^.^
I've applied for English, and I've put Liverpool as my firm.
I'd rather self-catered just because I am a terrible eater, and it would save me money. From what I have read online, it seems like all first year undergrads apply to one of the two student villages. Can you offer any light on what life in somewhere like Crown Place is for a first year? Thank you ^.^

I'm applying for my first year as well (Egyptology) and if you do choose to apply to Crown Place, it's three times oversubscribed so if you do apply there, make sure to spread your choices around so you don't just get put in a random block. This is the advice I've been given, anyway. From the Facebook group, the vast, vast majority of people have applied to Crown Place or Vine Court but remember that around 1,500 will end up in the student villages. I applied to Greenbank because I wanted food and there's no way I could be able to eat two meals a day for only £40 per week or whatever the difference is. I don't know much about Crown Place, but maybe join a Freshers group on Facebook to chat to other people.
I'm applying for my first year as well (Egyptology) and if you do choose to apply to Crown Place, it's three times oversubscribed so if you do apply there, make sure to spread your choices around so you don't just get put in a random block. This is the advice I've been given, anyway. From the Facebook group, the vast, vast majority of people have applied to Crown Place or Vine Court but remember that around 1,500 will end up in the student villages. I applied to Greenbank because I wanted food and there's no way I could be able to eat two meals a day for only £40 per week or whatever the difference is. I don't know much about Crown Place, but maybe join a Freshers group on Facebook to chat to other people.

Can you link the Facebook group you mentioned please (where the majority applied to Crown Place or Vine Court)? Thank you :smile: I see, so what I have gathered is that it would be smart to put one of the student villages as my second/third since the campus options are over subscribed. Am i correct?
Can you link the Facebook group you mentioned please (where the majority applied to Crown Place or Vine Court)? Thank you :smile: I see, so what I have gathered is that it would be smart to put one of the student villages as my second/third since the campus options are over subscribed. Am i correct?

Yes, that's right. There are honestly tonnes of groups, just search for 'Liverpool Freshers 2016' on Facebook and a bunch will come up, I'd say join them all, there might even be one just for Crown Place/Vine Court but I wouldn't know. Maybe a good strategy would be to put Crown or Vine, then Melville or Philharmonic etc and then a village.
Yes, that's right. There are honestly tonnes of groups, just search for 'Liverpool Freshers 2016' on Facebook and a bunch will come up, I'd say join them all, there might even be one just for Crown Place/Vine Court but I wouldn't know. Maybe a good strategy would be to put Crown or Vine, then Melville or Philharmonic etc and then a village.

Thank you very much, may I enquire as to what your three choices were for your accommodation?
Thank you very much, may I enquire as to what your three choices were for your accommodation?

Greenbank, McNair and Salisbury as food is very important to me!
Greenbank, McNair and Salisbury as food is very important to me!

I have only just completed my application, and neither McNair nor Salisbury were options :'(
My application ended up looking like this: Crown Place, Greenbank and Melville Grove.
I do wish I had applied sooner because the options were very limited. Do you know when we find out where we're living?
I have only just completed my application, and neither McNair nor Salisbury were options :'(
My application ended up looking like this: Crown Place, Greenbank and Melville Grove.
I do wish I had applied sooner because the options were very limited. Do you know when we find out where we're living?

Yes, I think that they have already allocated accommodation to people who have taken gap years, and applications have been open since about October or so. We find out after results day!
Yes, I think that they have already allocated accommodation to people who have taken gap years, and applications have been open since about October or so. We find out after results day!

Ah that would explain that. Oh dearie me, that is so far away. Thank you for all the help, I wish you the best with results and hey, hopefully we'll see each other at Liverpool :smile: Here's hoping we get our first accomodation choices :smile:)
Ah that would explain that. Oh dearie me, that is so far away. Thank you for all the help, I wish you the best with results and hey, hopefully we'll see each other at Liverpool :smile: Here's hoping we get our first accomodation choices :smile:)

Thanks! You too! See you around, are you feeling nervous? I really am, especially for freshers etc . . . And good luck with accommodation as well!
Thanks! You too! See you around, are you feeling nervous? I really am, especially for freshers etc . . . And good luck with accommodation as well!

Thank you! I am terribly nervous about making friends and settling in, as I am the only person I know who's applied there. I am not a fan of clubbing and drinking and am worried that at Freshers there won't be much for me to do.
Thank you! I am terribly nervous about making friends and settling in, as I am the only person I know who's applied there. I am not a fan of clubbing and drinking and am worried that at Freshers there won't be much for me to do.

I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! No one I know is going to Liverpool, I don't club or drink (except the occasional cider ha ha) . . . Any societies you're looking to join?

Hi, I have a newly refurbished student house available in a great location just next to sefton park, close to the city centre, the universities, all amenities and the public transport links. Low rent which includes all utilities and WiFi. please message me if you would like any further details. Good luck!
I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! No one I know is going to Liverpool, I don't club or drink (except the occasional cider ha ha) . . . Any societies you're looking to join?

HIGH FIVE! I would insert a hand emote here if I could find one xD I dont know anybody going to Liverpool at all, you're pretty much the only person I know who is. I want to join loads to fill my time and make the most of all the societies. I am really hoping for an anime/manga society, a literature society, a drama society and a music one xD
That is quite a few tbh .What about you?
HIGH FIVE! I would insert a hand emote here if I could find one xD I dont know anybody going to Liverpool at all, you're pretty much the only person I know who is. I want to join loads to fill my time and make the most of all the societies. I am really hoping for an anime/manga society, a literature society, a drama society and a music one xD
That is quite a few tbh .What about you?

:five: Found one! BE MY FRIEND. Ha ha, I'm glad that there's someone else feeling the same as me. There's a list of societies on the guild website, I'm going to join either potholing/mountaineering, maybe writing, maybe Japan, maybe board games, and probably the SACE (School of Archaeology, Egyptology and Classics) one. I think I'll try to narrow it down to three at most as I want to get a part time job as well. Do you want to get a job?
:five: Found one! BE MY FRIEND. Ha ha, I'm glad that there's someone else feeling the same as me. There's a list of societies on the guild website, I'm going to join either potholing/mountaineering, maybe writing, maybe Japan, maybe board games, and probably the SACE (School of Archaeology, Egyptology and Classics) one. I think I'll try to narrow it down to three at most as I want to get a part time job as well. Do you want to get a job?

FRIENDSHIP REQUEST ACCEPTED. :beer:
oooh, can you link the website here? I'm interested in actually seeing what they have to offer as I just listed what I want off the top of my head, without actually knowing if they exist xD Oh definitely, heaven knows how I'm going to fund myself without one. The rent in Liverpool is strangely high, considering the city itself generally is cheap.
FRIENDSHIP REQUEST ACCEPTED. :beer:
oooh, can you link the website here? I'm interested in actually seeing what they have to offer as I just listed what I want off the top of my head, without actually knowing if they exist xD Oh definitely, heaven knows how I'm going to fund myself without one. The rent in Liverpool is strangely high, considering the city itself generally is cheap.

Here's the link! http://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups

I think that private accommodation is actually quite cheap. It's also more expensive around the university because it's so near the city centre.

Quick Reply

Latest