Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Struggling with Manager

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi everyone! I am an Industrial Placement student at an International Organisation and this is my first ever "proper job" in an office. I have been at the company for 10 months out of a 12 month placement so do not have long left but always strive to better myself and improve. Attached is the feedback I have received yesterday and don't know how to feel. I'm not sure if my disappointment is warranted or if I'm just a perfectionist.

She said she's pleased with how I'm doing and my role, but spent the meeting (one-hour in length) briefly praising me (like 2 mins) and spent the remainder of the time giving constructive feedback which left me exhausted and a bit deflated.

Is this normal? Do most employee reviews focus on the development points as opposed to what you've done well? My manager is very awkward at giving positive feedback but good at giving negative feedback.

My biggest development points is to communicate updates more consistently and to ask for additional work (even though I'm so stretched currently!) Any suggestions on the best way to do this and how often?

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

That probably a higher than average performance based on the number of excellent, very good and good ratings.
    It looks like it's on a 1-5 scale, and you have probably got a 3 possibly even a 4. A small proportion of the workforce are likely to have got a 4 or 5, the vast majority of people doing well in their job will have got a 3.

I think you have probably taken the constructive criticism too personally. Feedback is important for your own development and success.

If they really thought you were doing a bad job you would have got far more "fair" ratings.

It doesn't sound like an abnormal review meeting. Sure they could have spent more time talking about what you did well, but an hour isn't a long time to talk about 10 months worth of work, and so focuses on the bits they thought were important. And that's usually what you need to improve on. However, what would have been better is for the manager to discuss with you what you can put in place to try and help you improve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by kg00105)
    Welcome to the adult world where no-one is going to tell you you're a special little chipmunk even if you fail! There's no efficiency in spending most of the hour talking about what's going right - if you want a person to improve, you have to discuss the points that warrant improvement. It would be a lot more worrying to get a 20 minute discussion that focussed 50/50 on the good and bad, because that would indicate your manager didn't think you were worth the investment of time and effort, ie you couldn't change.

That's actually a pretty good report for a 10 month internship, you should be quite chuffed with it. In terms of improving your communication, have a few ideas and then go back to your manager and ask if they think the ideas might help - that in itself is communication.

Mate I don't know what you're worried about, according to the manager you're always well groomed!

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.