The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
I supported leave but was quite upset and confused about the result and not sure if it was what I wanted… after spending a few days at Westminster on work experience for our next likely PM, I can tell you it's all under control and I think it's opened plenty of opportunities
Original post by Twinpeaks
Was it you who in another thread said that those who read the Daily Mail are "middle class and intelligent?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

O FFS

Let me try to make this clear to all the people on this site who seem too stupid to understand.

Btw that's the first time in 2000 posts or however many that I've accused anyone or any group on this site of stupidity. It's just that I am pretty exasperated at having to keep explaining this.

The daily mail website is not the same thing as the paper.

The paper has book reviews,articles about history,very informative -too informative for my liking -articles about health conditions ,legal/money advice etc etc.

As such it it is read by intelligent people.

The paper has been read by the middle aged middle classes for 40******* years.

More by women than by men so far as I know but not sure.

Now. As I hope everyone knows the papers faced a huge challenge when the Internet took off. How could they survive ?

The daily mail came up with an idea that last time I heard was working really well for them and making them money (but things change quickly so I can't say for sure they are still making money but I think they are)

"Let's have a website that will attract the kind of people who don't or wouldn't buy the paper !

Let's take a look at the uneducated masses and work out how we can sell advertising to them while simultaneously being able to use the site to advance any political agenda we might have while also using our brand to attract advertisers.

Let's have lots of graphic images and video and lots of celebrity gossip and sport but let's make these morons watch up to 30 seconds of advertising just to see someone getting shot at or someone making a mistake reading the news and thus make lots of money."

And that's what they did and as I say it seems to be a very good business model.

But the people who comment are not the people who buy the paper.

Oh occasionally a few of them might be I daresay. But in the main they are the same morons who are attracted to pictures of people getting killed.

Now let me make my position clear. Anyone who is so stupid that they can't work out that the kind of person who buys a paper that has two or three pages of book reviews every week is likely not the same kind of person who regularly reads the DM site and comments- may well be someone who reads the daily mail website!

And I suspect not a few members of this site read the daily mail site regularly.

Nothing wrong with that as long as they read another better paper too but I suspect some don't.

What about the people who stopped reading the newspaper because of competion from the Internet ? I think many of them will have graduated to the Times online .Until recently you could read the content for just £2 a week.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're just coming across really bitter about those with an education to be honest. I get that you may not have had the academic ability for it, but that's no reason for bitterness. Just move on. Slight inferiority complex have we? Where do you work?

Stop Crying does have a point tbph
Not much to disagree with there

Original post by moggis
O FFS

Let me try to make this clear to all the people on this site who seem too stupid to understand.

Btw that's the first time in 2000 posts or however many that I've accused anyone or any group on this site of stupidity. It's just that I am pretty exasperated at having to keep explaining this.

The daily mail website is not the same thing as the paper.

The paper has book reviews,articles about history,very informative -too informative for my liking -articles about health conditions ,legal/money advice etc etc.

As such it it is read by intelligent people.

The paper has been read by the middle aged middle classes for 40******* years.

More by women than by men so far as I know but not sure.

Now. As I hope everyone knows the papers faced a huge challenge when the Internet took off. How could they survive ?

The daily mail came up with an idea that last time I heard was working really well for them and making them money (but things change quickly so I can't say for sure they are still making money but I think they are)

"Let's have a website that will attract the kind of people who don't buy the paper !

Let's take a look at the uneducated masses and work out how we can sell advertising to them while simultaneously being able to use the site to advance any political agenda we might have while also using our brand to attract advertisers.

Let's have lots of graphic images and video and lots of celebrity gossip and sport but let's make these morons watch up to 30 seconds of advertising just to see someone getting shot at or someone making a mistake reading the news and thus make lots of money."

And that's what they did and as I say it seems to be a very good business model.

But the people who comment are not the people who buy the paper.

Oh occasionally a few of them might be I daresay. But in the main they are the same morons who are attracted to pictures of people getting killed.

Now let me make my position clear. Anyone who is so stupid that they can't work out that the kind of person who buys a paper that has two or three pages of book reviews every week is likely not the same kind of person who regularly reads the DM site and comments- may well be someone who reads the daily mail website!

And I suspect not a few members of this site read the daily mail site regularly.

Nothing wrong with that as long as they read another better paper too but I suspect some don't.

What about the people who stopped reading the newspaper because of competion from the Internet ? I think many of them will have graduated to the Times online .Until recently you could read the content for just £2 a week.
Sorry one more thing.
I saw that someone quoted me and I imagine it was critical .

There is one obvious flaw in everything I've just said and that's that as far as I know pretty much all the content in the paper can be found on the website!

Yet the paper continues to sell in very large quantities.

It does seem strange that so many people buy the paper if in fact the same content can be found for free online.

And my answer to that is,I suspect that many of them don't realise! Yep,if you are going to accuse daily mail readers of stupidity then perhaps it's for buying the paper when they don't need to.But then the paper is only 65 p and they can afford it .

Also I think most of them like to read it on the train to work etc instead of using a small screen. Who knows.

Whatever. But unless I'm very much mistaken the paper still sells over a million copies a week. It really is an incredible success story.And the people who buy it ,whatever their reasons for doing so,are not the people who simply click on the website.

And anyway it's my belief that many Mail readers will also have a partner ,if not themselves,who buys The Times or Telegraph whether the paper or online and so probably read that too.

Edit Another flaw is that when the DM started their website they wouldn't have been able to show video of people getting killed . It's obviously evolved. Nevertheless they wanted to broaden their reach if at all possible .
(edited 7 years ago)
I worry about how it might affect me as a young person at 16 and how things are possibly going to be a LOT different to how they are now.
Okay, stupid question, of course you do.

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady).

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

Acquire a grip will you

At no time during the campaign was it EVER. about kicking people out. The issue is about controls on which and how many come in the future. I agree it is wrong that a few loonies have subsequently gone public on previously hidden prejudices but you seriously can't believe that the referendum result has caused them to suddenly hate migrants and want them to foxtrot oscar
You're just coming across really bitter about those with an education to be honest. I get that you may not have had the academic ability for it, but that's no reason for bitterness. Just move on.

Slight inferiority complex have we? Where do you work?

Well I will have to stop you there because I got straight A's at both GCSEs and a levels and I was accepted to study economics at LSE but I turned it down to go straight into work so I am certainly not bitter considering that I could start a degree at any point that I wished.As for where I work well I see no value in telling you the company but considering I got accepted to study economics that should give you some clue to the industry.
Are children STILL stamping their feet and whining?

Spoiler

Original post by viffer
Acquire a grip will you

At no time during the campaign was it EVER. about kicking people out. The issue is about controls on which and how many come in the future. I agree it is wrong that a few loonies have subsequently gone public on previously hidden prejudices but you seriously can't believe that the referendum result has caused them to suddenly hate migrants and want them to foxtrot oscar

It's far more than just "a few loonies", it's clear from numerous incidents and reports across the country that large numbers of voters interpreted the Leave campaign as being about expelling immigrants and not just E. European recent arrivals, but anyone they don't like the look of, including multi-generational ethnic minority families.

This mass racist outbreak was wilfully stirred up, both by UKIP and Tory sources AND the media, with their endless reportage of supposedly 'mainstream' far right wing people like 'Migration Watch' and others. It wasn't something that was ever much critiqued by the leaders of Leave and Farage in particular repeatedly whetted the appetites of racists with endless talk of migrant impact on the NHS (hugely exaggerated) and strains on welfare. (also very exaggerated.)

But then again, what do facts matter when one is busy whipping up hysteria to serve ones sordid aims?
Already we are seeing what the Leave campaign was really about. The EU for example restrained the full privatisation of the NHS because EU rules permit government ownership of health services. With this obstacle out of the way, Gove and his radical right friends in the Tory Party are already planning new waves of privatisation, as reported in this weeks's Private Eye.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StopCrying
Well I will have to stop you there because I got straight A's at both GCSEs and a levels and I was accepted to study economics at LSE but I turned it down to go straight into work so I am certainly not bitter considering that I could start a degree at any point that I wished.As for where I work well I see no value in telling you the company but considering I got accepted to study economics that should give you some clue to the industry.

Sure hun. Sure.

If you are so good at economics, then you'd agree with the vast majority of top economist with income brackets much higher than yours, on their risk assessment of Brexit. The majority of economists assessed it to be a great risk, I can provide you the articles if you like. Or are you going to claim you know more than the Bank of England, because you supposedly got an offer to study economics at LSE?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
I supported leave but was quite upset and confused about the result and not sure if it was what I wanted… after spending a few days at Westminster on work experience for our next likely PM, I can tell you it's all under control and I think it's opened plenty of opportunities

Hahahahaah omg, call the BBC, call The Guardian, call the NY Times and the rest of world media, this kid over here did a few days work experience at Westminster and he can guarantee us all, everything's okay. :top:
Sure hun. Sure.

If you are so good at economics, then you'd agree with the vast majority of top economist with income brackets much higher than yours, on their risk assessment of Brexit. The majority of economists assessed it to be a great risk, I can provide you the articles if you like. Or are you going to claim you know more than the Bank of England, because you supposedly got an offer to study economics at LSE?

Lol and I can send you plenty of reports from top level economists who clearly state that our economy will have a much greater benefit in the long term so arguing that we can both post links to back up our beliefs is a bit of a failed argument as much as referring to someone as "Hun" is a fail. What next are you going to tell me that your dad can beat up my dad? Perhaps they only teach you to copy and paste in university?

Lastly I don't claim to know more than the BOE but given that I have worked in finance in roles in Europe, US and Asia for the last 8 years where I am heavily involved in the stress testing of banks and economies over thousands of different scenarios I would therefore say that I know a damn lot more than you and if you are so sure that you know more and want to discuss it then my current team and I at my workplace would be more happy for you to come in and discuss your points with us seeing as you know so much so private message me if you want to arrange this. That's a serious offer.
Lol and I can send you plenty of reports from top level economists who clearly state that our economy will have a much greater benefit in the long term so arguing that we can both post links to back up our beliefs is a bit of a failed argument as much as referring to someone as "Hun" is a fail. What next are you going to tell me that your dad can beat up my dad? Perhaps they only teach you to copy and paste in university?

Lastly I don't claim to know more than the BOE but given that I have worked in finance in roles in Europe, US and Asia for the last 8 years where I am heavily involved in the stress testing of banks and economies over thousands of different scenarios I would therefore say that I know a damn lot more than you and if you are so sure that you know more and want to discuss it then my current team and I at my workplace would be more happy for you to come in and discuss your points with us seeing as you know so much so private message me if you want to arrange this. That's a serious offer.

Hun is a term of endearment.

Send me the reports if you want! You think I want to believe our economy is ****ed? And that's all Brexiters have to offer, it may benefit the economy in the long term, long term is relative, how long term are we speaking here? Because as a fresh graduate, the prospect of a "long term benefit" after decades suffering with the hit doesn't provide much comfort.

Ohh another jibe about university education, you have a chip on your shoulder.

Okay then. Seeing as you know so much about economics, PM me and explain why we won't suffer as much as I think. I'm serious as well, I'm wanting to learn.
Hun is a term of endearment.

Send me the reports if you want! You think I want to believe our economy is ****ed? And that's all Brexiters have to offer, it may benefit the economy in the long term, long term is relative, how long term are we speaking here? Because as a fresh graduate, the prospect of a "long term benefit" after decades suffering with the hit doesn't provide much comfort.

Ohh another jibe about university education, you have a chip on your shoulder.

Okay then. Seeing as you know so much about economics, PM me and explain why we won't suffer as much as I think. I'm serious as well, I'm wanting to learn.

As I said I'm not interested in a pointless tit for tat arguments over the internet where people can hide behind a screen and a username. If you really think that you have such valuable points then as I said come in and meet my team and tell us exactly where we are going wrong and I will be more than happy to tell you face to face why I believe my view is right. It's that simple and if you really have belief in your view then I don't see why you would turn that offer down.
I honestly have never seen such a bunch of cry babies but I guess that about sums up students for you. I fit the 18-30 demographic and guess what I voted leave and still believe that it's the right choice.

The fact of the matter is you students aren't all special snowflakes, you all study your pointless degrees in media or David Beckham studies then wonder why you can't get jobs. It won't be down to a brexit that you can't get a job it's because you're simply not unique and work places tire or hiring all you spoilt little kids who feel like you deserve to walk into a big pay packet because you spent 3-4 years spending your university loan on booze.

And FYI I don't hold a degree yet I work for a leading firm on a big pay packet and I have worked in Asia as well as the US and all of this was done through hard work and proving my ability to do the job well instead of crying about life.

You weren't special before, you're not special now and the day has finally come where you will have to prove yourself in life rather than showing off about your worthless paper degree so adapt or die. The sadest thing now is that you will probably end up interviewing with someone like myself or others like me who can't stand you whingers which is why you won't get the job and instead we will hire the people who dig deep and understand they have to start at the bottom and work their way up instead of expecting to come in at the top.

How did you do this?
I started in a very entry level role that was extremely monotonous but I performed well and showed a key interest and showed my ability to the right people and with each promotion I improved and did the same. In short hard work, no complaining and getting the job done without expecting anything.
"Aquire a grip" is the most pathetic attempt I've seen to make a person look more eloquent. The phrase is "get a grip" you dolt :rofl:

If you had any experience with the poor, uneducated people you'd understand a significant proportion of them hold a great resentment towards immigrants, and actually do want them out. This resentment was not unrecognised by Brexit and because a substantial part of their campaign. Sorry but where have you been?.
Was it you who in another thread said that those who read the Daily Mail are "middle class and intelligent?"
You're just coming across really bitter about those with an education to be honest. I get that you may not have had the academic ability for it, but that's no reason for bitterness. Just move on. Slight inferiority complex have we? Where do you work?

Disgusting. :rolleyes: I'm glad I didn't know anyone at my university like this. Agree 100% with the poster who told you to get a grip. Do one. :h:
Betelguese-
Are children STILL stamping their feet and whining?
See above. :rofl:
As I said I'm not interested in a pointless tit for tat arguments over the internet where people can hide behind a screen and a username. If you really think that you have such valuable points then as I said come in and meet my team and tell us exactly where we are going wrong and I will be more than happy to tell you face to face why I believe my view is right. It's that simple and if you really have belief in your view then I don't see why you would turn that offer down.

Where's your office based?

I'm not in for tit for tat, just message me? I'd rather feel better about the situation, so if you have valid points I'll be happy to hear.
Original post by Desi123
Disgusting. :rolleyes: I'm glad I didn't know anyone at my university like this. Agree 100% with the poster who told you to get a grip. Do one. :h: See above. :rofl:

Do one?

It's not disgusting. I'm from a poor background myself and my own father is one of those people who resents immigration. He's a plasterer. So think twice before insinuating that I'm a snob.

My mum works in a college in the Valleys in Wales, ever heard of Merthyr Tydfil?

One of the tutors asked the students how many immigrants they thought were in Merthyr. Their answer: 50%. The actual immigration figure- 3%.

When asked to expand their responses consisted of "that Chinese shop down the road". And "in my mums friends street there's a Polish family".

These people are uneducated and from deprived areas. You find that disgusting? Well yes I find it disgusting as well that we have such deprivation in our country. But I'm afraid all you find is disgusting is how I referred to them as "poor and uneducated". That is the truth, they are. Do not deny their existence.

People like you are so detached you have absolutely no idea what's going on. I don't think you realise how poor some areas can be.
Delusional.

At least those people have an excuse, what's yours?

Latest

Trending

Trending