The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When the results came in, I was depressed but then I remembered something: I'm half Italian. Once I remembered this my spirits were lifted as I realised that after finishing uni I could swap to my Italian passport and gain all the benefits of the EU once again and move to Germany/France/Italy as an EU citizen.

Still pretty depressing that the UK will probably break up though.
Original post by 16characterlimit
Actually, they were told this many times, and it was promptly dismissed as "project fear".

Head to the desk to the head to the desk to the head.
I'm not that bothered tbh, sure I didn't get my vote, watcha gonna do? :dontknow:

No point whining like a child, may as well get on with it because it's going to happen whether you like it or not. Some of the reactions I've seen on here from both sides have frankly been pathetic. People crying with sadness and others with joy, cringe inducing tbh.
Genuinely angry and depressed. It may be supposedly democratic, but only a small minority of those who decided to leave, in my opinion, understood the full implications of leaving and the impact it will have on our economy, social stability and culture.
Lets just hope it gets better. Soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, the UK was pretty good on the whole. Also lost a load of money today.
I was starting to think, "ah its alright, just a little of economic struggles"

Then I realised what an excellent unique deal we had, I also realised how this vote was decided by baby boomers, who have lived their lives with free education, little debt and cheap housing, and in a final act of selfishness, in their dying breaths took a permanent decision we were unhappy with.

So, let's examine this.

Baby boomers were born after WW2 between 1945-49 say. A time when there was rationing , very few goods to be had in the shops: huge national debt, infectious diseases like poliomyelitis were rife, the school leaving age was 15 and there were very, very few university places so the vast majority of the population had far fewer years of free education than today's youth.

Baby boomers spent the first decades of life in a world of vicious discrimination against blacks, Irish, women, gays etc. There were restrictions on university places eg.in medicine for women, women couldn't get a mortgage, couldn't get goods on hire purchase, were discriminated against by the 11 plus exams.

Blacks, Chinese and Irish were openly discriminated against in housing, employment etc. Women were paid far less than men for the same work, were sacked on marriage etc. Pregnancy outside marriage was a sin and led to forced adoptions and heart break. Gays were prosecuted and thrown into prison. Many children had fathers / mothers who were severely traumatised by their experiences of war.

Housing was often extremely poor after the devastation of WW2 bombing, over crowding was rife. Schools in poor areas couldn't get enough teachers and there were classes of 50-60 as a matter of course - sometimes many more.

Is this the generation you think of as favoured?

Baby boomers successfully fought all this though the sixties and seventies and won the equality we take for granted today.
(edited 7 years ago)
Surely the Brexiters who want to "make Britain great again" must be slightly bothered by the fact that our great Union may be on the verge of separating?
[QUOTE="pickup;66088853"]
I was starting to think, "ah its alright, just a little of economic struggles"

Then I realised what an excellent unique deal we had, I also realised how this vote was decided by baby boomers, who have lived their lives with free education, little debt and cheap housing, and in a final act of selfishness, in their dying breaths took a permanent decision we were unhappy with.

So, let's examine this.

Baby boomers were born after WW2 between 1945-49 say. A time when there was rationing , very few goods to be had in the shops: huge national debt, infectious diseases like poliomyelitis were rife, the school leaving age was 15 and there were very, very few university places so the vast majority of the population had far fewer years of free education than today's youth.

Baby boomers spent the first decades of life in a world of vicious discrimination against blacks, Irish, women, gays etc. There were restrictions on university places eg.in medicine for women, women couldn't get a mortgage, couldn't get goods on hire purchase, were discriminated against by the 11 plus exams.

Blacks, Chinese and Irish were openly discriminated against in housing, employment etc. Women were paid far less than men for the same work, were sacked on marriage etc. Pregnancy outside marriage was a sin and led to forced adoptions and heart break. Gays were prosecuted and thrown into prison.

Housing was often extremely poor after the devastation of WW2 bombing, over crowding was rife. Schools in poor areas couldn't get enough teachers and there were classes of 50-60 as a matter of course - sometimes many more.

Is this the generation you think of as favoured?

Baby boomers successfully fought all this though the sixties and seventies and won the equality we take for granted today.

Only a small percent where directly after WW2, most define baby boomers as 1946-1964. They were favored once they grew up, You could live a middle class life with a factory job, enjoyed very confortable lives while wealth was concentrated in the west and faced little debt and inequality.

And I refer to the indigenous population, I don't think many Blacks, Irish, Chinese or Gays are the main voting bloc for leave.
Original post by JamesN88
Surely the Brexiters who want to "make Britain great again" must be slightly bothered by the fact that our great Union may be on the verge of separating?

No because we are pro-democracy, and capable of respecting democratic choices.

It's looking like a complete waste of time trying to educate people that the leave voters aren't all voting due to immigration. As much as a waste as attempting to convince people Islam is not a race.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Okay, stupid question, of course you do.

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady).

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

Pick up what pieces? We can now look forward to becoming an independent, self-governing, sovereign nation which can control its own borders, trade and laws! The economy will stabilise likewise the markets eventually but it will take time. This is a great opportunity for us to forge our own destiny. I am not trying to provoke anyone here and I respect everyone's opinion I just want to know what pieces you are referring to?

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

aww, are you a little sad.What a shame.

Proud BREXITEER
Its a very wierd feeling tbh. But im still happy that the Brits didnt give in to the fear mongers.

I suggest some of the remain people get off their high horse and swallow their arrogance. Accept the vote of your countrymen and stop behaving like disgusting brats.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Actually, they were told this many times, and it was promptly dismissed as "project fear".

Well morefool them. Granted some have built up this Utopian free movement alliance with Canada/Australia/New Zealand in their heads so maybe they don't want trade with the EU at all.

I voted leave and based on what you said, it's nice to know my vote did what I needed it to do :colone:
Reply 54
Original post by AperfectBalance
Yes because the Leave party are going for the lets kick everyone out who is not British, yeah no they are not, We want something more like Australia Letting skilled and professional workers and students in so we will still continue to be very multicultural.

Lol not really. Nobody will want to come here anymore. Australia is sunny, at least :giggle:
Reply 55
Original post by Ciel.
Lol not really. Nobody will want to come here anymore. Australia is sunny, at least :giggle:

You really think nobody will want to come to the uk? Okay then.
Original post by Jebedee
No because we are pro-democracy, and capable of respecting democratic choices.

It's looking like a complete waste of time trying to educate people that the leave voters aren't all voting due to immigration. As much as a waste as attempting to convince people Islam is not a race.

I also pro-democracy, respect the choice made despite firmly believing it was the wrong one and have never made either of those claims that you're citing. I believe the matter is settled and am not in favour of a second referendum. Ironically by slinging those unfounded accusations at me you're living up to the stereotype of all Brexiters being ignorant.

I'm also a patriotic Englishman with Scottish roots which is why I'm bothered by the possibility of the Union breaking up.
Reply 57
Original post by Scott.
You really think nobody will want to come to the uk? Okay then.

Certainly not many 'skilled and professional workers and students'.
Original post by Ciel.

Yeah and its full of dangerous spiders, snakes and sharks.
Reply 59
I felt kind of sick in the morning but have now recovered it was a weird feeling like something really really bad has happened. Hopefully Great Britain will recover and we go back to normal.

Latest

Trending

Trending