The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel terrible. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that my lifelong dream of working for Siemens or BMW as an engineer will probably not happen unless I move to Germany permanently. There's never been a worse time to be a scientist or an engineer in the UK.
Reply 61
Original post by Ciel.
Certainly not many 'skilled and professional workers and students'.

You carry on thinking that.
Yea, I also have this physically sick feeling in my stomach. I'm also grieving at why people voted leave.

The majority of leave voters didn't vote leave because of the EU, they voted leave because of immigrants and that's a fact. Amazing how one issue can decide the outcome of such a wide raging topic with so many factors. Just look at all the interviews - 'too many immigrants taking our jobs' - sad really...

I'm rejoicing however that hopefully now the political establishment know never to hold a referendum again and leave the big decisions to the politicians and economic experts.
Original post by JamesN88
I also pro-democracy, respect the choice made despite firmly believing it was the wrong one and have never made either of those claims that you're citing. I believe the matter is settled and am not in favour of a second referendum. Ironically by slinging those unfounded accusations at me you're living up to the stereotype of all Brexiters being ignorant.

I'm also a patriotic Englishman with Scottish roots which is why I'm bothered by the possibility of the Union breaking up.

But you are saying we would have a problem with it. If they want to leave UK then so be it.
Reply 64
Original post by physicsphysics91
Yeah and its full of dangerous spiders, snakes and sharks.

I'd take spiders and snakes over close-minded fascists any day to be honest!
Reply 65
Original post by Scott.
You carry on thinking that.

Just wait and see. :tongue:
I feel depressed and sad, i never thought uk would ever leave the eu..
Can anyone tell me clearly, will immigrants have to go back to their original country or not?? 😓
I'm indifferent mostly because very little will change, and nothing will change for the next 2 years. Also I was split on how I would vote, I was not massively pro one side or the other.

I'm actually pretty proud 72% of the nation turned out to vote like it did, it shows how much of our country actually does care about our political system and matters.
Reply 68
Surely the Brexiters who want to "make Britain great again" must be slightly bothered by the fact that our great Union may be on the verge of separating?

Most of them think of themselves as English first and foremost and I have to say that I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of them were not fed up to the back teeth (if they have any left) with the seemingly perpetually whining Scots.
Original post by Jebedee
But you are saying we would have a problem with it. If they want to leave UK then so be it.

From a patriotic perspective a country that has played a major part in the history of the UK deciding to leave it is a major downside to the result IMO.
From a patriotic perspective a country that has played a major part in the history of the UK deciding to leave it is a major downside to the result IMO.

It's better than entire countries being forced to stay in against their will.
Original post by mediaya
I feel depressed and sad, i never thought uk would ever leave the eu..
Can anyone tell me clearly, will immigrants have to go back to their original country or not?? 😓

Is this how stupid the remain voters are orrr..
Original post by Jebedee

I know it is, that's not the point.
Original post by Galaxie501
Its a very wierd feeling tbh. But im still happy that the Brits didnt give in to the fear mongers.

I suggest some of the remain people get off their high horse and swallow their arrogance. Accept the vote of your countrymen and stop behaving like disgusting brats.

Spoiler

"Turkey is going to join the EU and you'll never be able to get a job again, and there'll probably be terrorists coming over too

"Our NHS can't cope and it's falling to bits because of the EU"

"UNITED STATES OF EUROPE!!!!"

Yep, not giving in to fear mongers...
Reply 74
Posted from TSR Mobile

We gained a lot, did we? The crash of the Stock Market and lowest ever Pound value states otherwise.
Original post by Jebedee

Mate, it's definitely worse.

A United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which is part of the European Union, versus England and Wales alone against the whole world? You know which is the stronger, more economically stable, more vibrant and more hopeful future for us. Glad we didn't **** it up - oh wait, yes we did.
Original post by tanyapotter
Mate, it's definitely worse.

A United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which is part of the European Union, versus England and Wales alone against the whole world? You know which is the stronger, more economically stable, more vibrant and more hopeful future for us. Glad we didn't **** it up - oh wait, yes we did.

It's been less than 24 hours so you have no clue about what is more economically stable. Not sure what vibrant means in terms of the economy.

Against the whole world? Sorry, didn't realise we were in a state of war.
Original post by Jynks
Posted from TSR Mobile

We gained a lot, did we? The crash of the Stock Market and lowest ever Pound value states otherwise.

Tbf the economic implications are being exaggerated hugely. The £ has dropped due to the ambiguity surrounding the situation, which even if it doesn't bounce back will improve exports due to favourable exchange rates. Also the FTSE100 actually fell the least out of the top 5 European markets which if anything shows just how much Europe needs us. Obama also retracted his statement about us being 'at the back of the line' in terms of trade deal negotiations and said relations would remain close-knit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am absolutely devastated. I feel a deep sense of loss and regret. It's disgraceful that we've turned our backs on our closest allies and that immigration (with xenophobic/racist undertones) was the driving force here. And stuck our middle fingers up to the experts, to the people we look up to, the brightest minds and best role models of this country. And now we have to follow Nigel Farage's bleak view of this world.
Reply 79
Part of it is how completely marginalised I feel as a young person. It's the nail in the coffin. Everyone knew that the majority of 16-25 year olds did not want this outcome, the individuals who will be bearing the brunt of it, yet voted against our wishes anyway.

The other is the economic loss, and the political statement that a Brexit vote has made. I understand that it was largely driven by the working classes, justifiably wanting to give a middle finger to the establishment, but they've just protest voted for more firmly entrenched elitism. And bigotry. Lots of bigotry - which there is no excuse for, even in poorer areas.

As for feeling depressed - I wouldn't go that far. But I'm not ashamed to admit that I couldn't stop crying this morning and have hardly eaten since due to an insurmountable feeling of nausea. I hope this doesn't pan out to be as bad as it probably will be and such sentiments can begin to dissipate, but I don't know whether I will forgive certain members of the public for thrusting us into the precariousness of this decision. Which only 52% of the 72% eligible voters opted for.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest