The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel genuinely depressed about Brexit.

Okay, stupid question, of course you do.

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady).

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I do. I'm seriously ****ed off at this because we're stuck with it. We're past the point of no return, and we can never go back to what we're about to lose...

**** you, British public.

edit: just to clarify, this was immediate anger, I'm feeling more at ease with the situation now :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Okay, stupid question, of course you do.

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady).

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

Yes because the Leave party are going for the lets kick everyone out who is not British, yeah no they are not, We want something more like Australia Letting skilled and professional workers and students in so we will still continue to be very multicultural.
Took about an hour for my hands to stop shaking, and for my knees to return to some semblance of working order after I saw the result this morning. How I managed to get through a regular day at work afterwards, I don't even know.
to be honest I have the opposite feeling I have been buzzing all day
Reply 5
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Took about an hour for my hands to stop shaking, and for my knees to return to some semblance of working order after I saw the result this morning. How I managed to get through a regular day at work afterwards, I don't even know.

I relate. I somehow survived an exam while still panicking the whole way through.
First world problems, get over it you lost.
Reply 7

No worries, we've got anime and TSR and snipers..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by TercioOfParma

"get over it"

Our country's sustained a major wound and you're making it sound like we lost a card game. OK.
Feel depressed about the stupidity of some of the people in the country yes, but what can you do?

Original post by Alexion
"get over it"

Our country's sustained a major wound and you're making it sound like we lost a card game. OK.

We gained a lot actually.
Reply 11
I expect we may well keep free movement anyway. It will be difficult to negotiate a deal which does not allow this while maintaining decent trade links, so there will probably be compromise. Even if not, skilled workers like professors simply would not be the target of restrictions on immigration. There will not suddenly be a mass shortage of professors. We won't be shut off from Europe simply because we are not in the EU. Norway and Switzerland are no less European for being out of the EU.

If they feel unwelcome, I am sorry but that is something they have to deal with. Until they are explicitly made unwelcome, this is just their perception of the result. We opted out of a political and economic union, we did not tick a box "get rid of EU migrants". It is utter nonsense and generalisation to insinuate that the majority of leave voters voted leave because of EU migrants with skilled jobs. Personally, for instance, I am barely even concerned about limiting immigration relatively speaking, let alone limiting the immigration of those who obviously contribute to the economy and to society like your professors. It is not all black and white, the world is not going to end and we are not shutting ourselves off from Europe.

Yes, I am essentially mourning the loss of the EU

I think this explained it best:

No.Don't call us 'bad losers'. Not today. Because this hurts.

Don't call us bad losers when we have bad winners. Nigel Farage, who said this morning 'We won it without a shot being fired', a mere week after Jo Cox was shot on Farage's most controversial day of the campaign.

Don't call us bad losers when you have Boris Johnson suddenly saying there is 'no rush' to leave the EU, when it was so important to him a day ago. (Yet David Cameron's resignation still seems important to him. Hmmm.)

Don't call us bad losers when you have given fuel to the far right across the continent. Marine Le Penn now has a union jack as her profile pic. We are the pride of fascists everywhere.(I don't see how expressing our intense dismay on Facebook is equivalent to what many of us feel will result in the fracturing of Europe, the crashing of the economy, an increase in xenophobia and division, and all that comes with that.)

Don't call us bad losers when we have genuine concerns that many of the people who most wanted this foul-named thing called a Brexit - the hurt, the disenfranchised, the unemployed, the vulnerable - have been conned into thinking Farage and Johnson are the anti-establishment voice of the people. (Spoiler alert: they're the voice of power, of money, of self-interest, of themselves.)

Don't call us bad losers. Just call us very worried indeed.

This is now what the UK flag represents - a flag for the far right to wave all over Europe. What a sad day, for any one even slightly to the left of Marine Le Pen

Source: https://www.facebook.com/matt.haig.92/posts/10154330300648760

Remember this btw?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/

Notice how uncanny that is?

Farage said that if we remained in the EU, with 52-48, we should have a second referendum. The opposite doesn't seem to apply to Farage. Now I'll begrudgingly accept the referendum we had, but this just shows Farage to be the absolute ********* that he is.

I hope people burn effigies of him
(edited 7 years ago)

Maybe some meme magic could cure you?
I was starting to think, "ah its alright, just a little of economic struggles"

Then I realised what an excellent unique deal we had, I also realised how this vote was decided by baby boomers, who have lived their lives with free education, little debt and cheap housing, and in a final act of selfishness, in their dying breaths took a permanent decision we were unhappy with.

I also thought about how we might have brought the beginning of the end of a true force for good, the final destiny of Europe, after such a rich history, all thrown away for fear of our own brothers and sisters, many by people who has never met such people.

So yeah, I'm quite depressed.

I don't usually like Vox, since its quite reactionary and likes to talk about identity politics mainly, but this really hit the nail on the head for me: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12025954/brexit-young-voters-remain
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Impressive
No worries, we've got anime and TSR and snipers..

And Battlebots. Watching the first episode of the new series first thing after getting home (with a quick break half way through to try and steal a 100th post :unimpressed:) did a lot for my mood. :yes:

It's absolutely horrible, it doesn't even feel real. I feel unwelcome in my own country.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am disgusted not at the result, but at the kind of people that enforced it. Fear mongering and misinformation, that inevitably swayed many to regret their vote. I am disappointed, but can only force myself and others to remain optimistic and hopeful about our future here.

How pathetic, don't come crying to us when your Brexit plan falls through.
This was quite funny, might cheer some people up

http://i.imgur.com/zI8aKJ4.png