The Student Room Group

So why did Leave win?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alextaylor6
Leaving the EU will allow us to implement our own immigration policy .eg Australia point based system

Couldn't we have done this towards non-EU migration anyway?
Original post by ODES_PDES
Any immigration.In my opinion we need a system like Australia, or even better New Zealand
Ah, I think that's still a bit of an iffy reason to leave the EU tbh
Original post by physicsphysics91
Immigration undeniably would have been the biggest reason for the majority of voters (of which muslim immigration would be the biggest deterrent).
A bit silly and reactionary don't you think? It's not the leave vote I've even got a problem with, it's the motivations behind it. There are so many reasons to leave, but Muslim immigration doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by Zargabaath
But how is Muslim immigration the fault of the EU? Most Muslims either come from Pakistan, India, the Middle East or parts of Africa.
On top of that, they have an extremely high birthrate meaning many are born here. Why is that the fault of the EU?

It's not that everyone's saying it that's the issue, it's that it's incorrect :s-smilie:

Because the EU is allowing them in as they think that they are all syrian refugees. I find no problem with helping resettle refugees over here that have been displaced due to actions by our government. However i take issue with the fact many are coming from afghanistan and sudan and getting entry into the EU by claiming to be refugees and then attempting to enter Britain despite the fact they dont have a job lined up. If they can prove they are able to get a job in the UK within 3 months of entering and the company can prove they are the best choice for the job then sure they can come anyway
Ah, I think that's still a bit of an iffy reason to leave the EU tbhA bit silly and reactionary don't you think? It's not the leave vote I've even got a problem with, it's the motivations behind it. There are so many reasons to leave, but Muslim immigration doesn't make sense to me.

No we couldn't have done that under the EU, and there are many other factors to vote leave. Google some, always look at 2 sides to the argument
cos it rained...
hyped up brexiters vote regardless
passionate remainers also vote
the large remainder of people sitting on the fence, who would vote in, didnt as they didnt feel like getting wet

There should be a revote on a sunny day
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah, I think that's still a bit of an iffy reason to leave the EU tbhA bit silly and reactionary don't you think? It's not the leave vote I've even got a problem with, it's the motivations behind it. There are so many reasons to leave, but Muslim immigration doesn't make sense to me.

They see Germany, Sweden, Belgium and thought nope.
No we couldn't have done that under the EU, and there are many other factors to vote leave. Google some, always look at 2 sides to the argument

I did, I was very much on the line. I only ended up voting remain because the lack of a clear plan for the future proposed by anyone. Otherwise I'd have voted leave for sure
I'm just bored and restless rn so I'm making conversation on here :lol:
Original post by physicsphysics91
They see Germany, Sweden, Belgium and thought nope.

That's understandable tbh, although we could've just put pressure on our government to do one and not accept refugees it that was the case
Reply 27
Posted from TSR Mobile

People think that immigration is the key issue here when it's not. The Leave campaign claimed that a quarter of a million people come here annually, when actually about 75% of them aren't coming from Europe - meaning it's governed by UK law, not the EU. Leaving doesn't change that.
Original post by kennyboy69.5
cos it rained...
hyped up brexiters vote regardless
passionate remainers also vote
the large remainder of people sitting on the fence, who would vote in, didnt as they didnt feel like getting wet

There should be a revote on a sunny day

Revote. Please be trolling. Do you not understand democracy.
Reply 29
Original post by DontVoteLabour
Revote. Please be trolling. Do you not understand democracy.

Maybe they should have 4 votes on different days of the week in different seasons and take an average.
I did, I was very much on the line. I only ended up voting remain because the lack of a clear plan for the future proposed by anyone. Otherwise I'd have voted leave for sure
I'm just bored and restless rn so I'm making conversation on here :lol:

Lack of a clear plan isn't necessarily a bad thing as it allows adaptability, however i can see where you are coming from as you dont know what you are voting for. Even so, the principle of democracy and our courts sovereignty should surely be higher than this.
That's understandable tbh, although we could've just put pressure on our government to do one and not accept refugees it that was the case

Cameron went to the away for more negotiations and came back empty handed. The majority of the tax paying country are unhappy
leave won because it got the majority of votes
Original post by Shapez
As much as I am for remain could you just STFU? Whats done is done whats the point mourning about it, nothing is going to change no matter what you say dont you get that? Cameron himself said we are not going to have another referendum so i dont know whats your goal here.

*******s. We live in a democracy and we have a right to express our discontent. If people made a terrible decision, they shouldn't be allowed to bury their heads in the sand while we all suffer the consequences.

I think it was a massive mistake for the government to pump out one sided propaganda, it certainly made me do my own research and end up voting leave

Leaving the EU will allow us to implement our own immigration policy .eg Australia point based system

In your research, did you come across the fact that most of our immigration comes from outside the EU, and immigrants from outside the EU make a net contribution of 32% less than those from inside the EU and are 10% less likely to be university educated?

We could have implemented our own immigration policy to control the least beneficial immigration without causing all this upheaval. We never needed to leave the EU to control immigration from outside the EU, which is where most of the problem is. We made all this fuss over nothing.

Original post by moggis
The best article I've yet seen about why this happened is in today's Guardian. "If you've got money you vote in,if you havnt got money you vote out"

Pretty much nails it.The article not the quote.

If you haven't got money and you're easily manipulated you vote out. While the EU was redistributing wealth to the poorest parts of the country, our government was trying to repeal all the expensive "red tape", i.e. employment rights for the working class. And people decided to give the government more power.
Original post by JordanL_
*******s. We live in a democracy and we have a right to express our discontent. If people made a terrible decision, they shouldn't be allowed to bury their heads in the sand while we all suffer the consequences.

In your research, did you come across the fact that most of our immigration comes from outside the EU, and immigrants from outside the EU make a net contribution of 32% less than those from inside the EU and are 10% less likely to be university educated?

We could have implemented our own immigration policy to control the least beneficial immigration without causing all this upheaval. We never needed to leave the EU to control immigration from outside the EU, which is where most of the problem is. We made all this fuss over nothing.

If you haven't got money and you're easily manipulated you vote out. While the EU was redistributing wealth to the poorest parts of the country, our government was trying to repeal all the expensive "red tape", i.e. employment rights for the working class. And people decided to give the government more power.

There is still a large amount coming from within the EU, and that doesn't matter about contribution, immigration needs to be slowed down. It's like having a water balloon, yes you can add more water but it will start to stretch then pop
Reply 35
Original post by JordanL_

While I agree that the first quote was unfair on you I did find myself wondering what exactly you're attempting to do?

If you are attempting to point out that voting leave was irrational ,which is what I think you are doing,then there's little doubt that most thinking people would probably agree.

Of course it was bloody irrational . Many many people in this country were incredibly angry and Cameron made the biggest British political blunder since Thatchers poll tax and provided an outlet for all that anger.

And YES we will all have to live with the consequences.

But we are all far better off than 95%of people in the world.

Still.
(edited 7 years ago)
There is still a large amount coming from within the EU, and that doesn't matter about contribution, immigration needs to be slowed down. It's like having a water balloon, yes you can add more water but it will start to stretch then pop

But there's a larger amount coming from outside the EU. We could have dealt with that first, and then decided whether it was still a problem. This was completely unnecessary to deal with the problem.
Is it possible NOT to **** off people because you disagree with them? What was the point in creating this thread other than to continue the **** stirring?
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Would like to get some ideas on what others thought of why leave won?

I think it was a mixture of:
- Higher Turnout in Leave Areas,
- Lower Turnout among younger people,
- Arrogance and Complacency in Remain Camp throughout entire debate,
- Overuse of Insults for anyone considering Leave,
- Anti-Establishment vote,
- Uninformed voters,
- Belief Leave could never win.

Any suggestions?

I would personally say the last one/ two, I think many people voted Leave fully in the expectation that Remain would outnumber us so hence was compensated for. Naturally, when Leave turned out to have won I guess a lot of Leave voters (myself included) got the shock of their lives as we were expecting Remain to win
Reply 39
Leave won because it was the right choice for the UK. There's no formula, the British electorate voted convincingly to exit the failed EU project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending