The Student Room Group

So why did Leave win?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
But there's a larger amount coming from outside the EU. We could have dealt with that first, and then decided whether it was still a problem. This was completely unnecessary to deal with the problem.

That is true but I don't think our current government would do that. Regardless, the movement of people from within the EU should be vetted, free movement it's redicoulous in my eyes
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Would like to get some ideas on what others thought of why leave won?

I think it was a mixture of:
- Higher Turnout in Leave Areas,
- Lower Turnout among younger people,
- Arrogance and Complacency in Remain Camp throughout entire debate,
- Overuse of Insults for anyone considering Leave,
- Anti-Establishment vote,
- Uninformed voters,
- Belief Leave could never win.

Any suggestions?

1. Successive governments failing to support the countries housing and public services. This is number one easily for me. If house prices and rents where not so high, the high immigration would have been far more palatable for nearly everyone

2. The establishment have been caught lying so many times during the tories reign... they had lost credibility and took quite a beating during their tv campaigns by the public and presenters

3. A lot of people despise the EU and how it rules
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alextaylor6
That is true but I don't think our current government would do that. Regardless, the movement of people from within the EU should be vetted, free movement it's redicoulous in my eyes

So why would our current government do it now?

People coming into the UK from the EU have to go through the exact same security controls as everyone else. We aren't part of the free movement zone and never have been.

Original post by Betelgeuse-
1. Successive governments failing to support the countries housing and public services. This is number one easily for me. If house prices and rents where not so high, the high immigration would have been far more palatable for nearly everyone

But house prices are going to stay high as we lose all those immigrants keeping our economy afloat, and our government make more cuts. Ludicrous that people voted out of the EU because they don't like the actions of our government, which is going to fix nothing.

Brexiteers go on about democracy a lot, but they seem awfully unwilling to actually make use of it.
Reply 43
Democracy, I truly believe, is the best way for the needs of the people to be realised. Democracy doesn't work however when the general public don't know what they want, are not fully informed, vote on issues which they don't fully care about, or are ****ing morons. Any failings of society go to the people, for they dictate society in a democracy.

The U.K. voted to leave because the majority of people are morons, they haven't got the faintest idea about the complexity of the choice they have made and are lulled by the hopeful words of reminiscence. "Take back...", "Make ... Great again", "Our country, our ...". The tactics excellently displayed by Trump and Brexiters alike.

That being said, democracy is the best we've got, all votes being equal is essential, or things quickly spiral to dictatorship. The U.K. will weaken and split as a result of this decision, there's no escaping the fact. But the global society should learn from this and humans should evole societally because of it. Darwinian societal evolution marches on, there must be winners and losers to make progress and to learn from history, it is a shame we are not winners on the scale we had hoped, but alas, we'll make the most of the failings of morons and carry on.

People coming into the UK from the EU have to go through the exact same security controls as everyone else. We aren't part of the free movement zone and never have been.

But house prices are going to stay high as we lose all those immigrants keeping our economy afloat, and our government make more cuts. Ludicrous that people voted out of the EU because they don't like the actions of our government, which is going to fix nothing.

Brexiteers go on about democracy a lot, but they seem awfully unwilling to actually make use of it.

We are not going to lose all our migrants unless we have a huge recession and the EU doesnt. The government making more cuts has nothing to do with housing

Nice, so we never had to accept free movement of people yeah?

You're pretty stupid
Original post by Betelgeuse-
We are not going to lose all our migrants unless we have a huge recession and the EU doesnt. The government making more cuts has nothing to do with housing

We're going to lose some of them, unless you think free immigration doesn't encourage more people to come here, in which case, why did we leave??
We're going to lose some of them, unless you think free immigration doesn't encourage more people to come here, in which case, why did we leave??

What has free immigration the UK got to do with emigration?
Original post by Alextaylor6
Nice, so we never had to accept free movement of people yeah?

You're pretty stupid

You can travel here if you want, but you have to go through the exact same border controls as anyone else. I explained it very clearly, but you gave a vitriolic response, so I don't think you understood. I don't think I can put it anymore simply for you.

It's not my fault if you don't even know what Schengen is, but if you're really that clueless you should have refrained from voting.

Here's a colourful map, maybe it'll help you understand: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/index_en.htm

We aren't, and never have been, a part of the Schengen free movement zone, and people coming from the EU have always had to go through the same security as everyone else.

Does that make sense?
Callous dismissal of working class fears over mass immigration. Cameron doing a terrible job controlling non-EU immigration.
You can travel here if you want, but you have to go through the exact same border controls as anyone else. I explained it very clearly, but you gave a vitriolic response, so I don't think you understood. I don't think I can put it anymore simply for you.

It's not my fault if you don't even know what Schengen is, but if you're really that clueless you should have refrained from voting.

Here's a colourful map, maybe it'll help you understand: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/index_en.htm

We aren't, and never have been, a part of the Schengen free movement zone, and people coming from the EU have always had to go through the same security as everyone else.

Does that make sense?

You obviously can't just walk straight through, but it's much easier/less regulations to get through if you're resident of an EU country. We have also adopted parts of the Schengen Agreement so please just stfu
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply