Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does this text from my boss mean

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I have just finished a year of training as a clinical psychologist. My final marks are being ratified at a board of examiners end of July. On the rare occasions a clinical psychologist will be offered a job where they had their work placement training but I have not been offered a job on the team yet. It is common practice to offer a job to students once they've 100% passed (i.e marks Been ratified by the board) as offering sooner only for them to fail would be unfortunate.

I presumed there was not a vacancy available so I was gutted as I've loved my placement and got on amazingly with the team. Today i got the following text:

Hi could you please let me know when you pass 😜😝. Thanks.

Those were the emojis used. My boss on placement was normally fairly formal so I was surprised. I replied saying thank you and i would let him know as soon as I passed he replied:

That's great thank you. Enjoy a well deserved holiday now, I will speak to you soon.

The thing is, I'm not on any holiday. Now I've left my placement I am unemployed with no job to go to and will have to start looking so I thought it was a strange choice of word. He also won't be speaking to me again. I also know the uni tell him when I pass so there shouldn't be a need for me to tell tell him.

I sensed that maybe he's trying to tell me he's interested in employing me. I know i impressed him on placement as he gave me a distinction mark.

What do you lot think. Am I reading too much into it?

Also, he's definetly not flirting. He is as homosexual as they come haha.

I mean, it sounds pretty self explanatory... 'Let me know when you pass' and 'I will speak to you soon'. No you aren't on holiday, but it's a figure of speech? Maybe he's telling you to take a break and then he's going to employ you once your grades are marked?

Am I missing something? lol

I don't think you should read anything into it. He's being friendly to someone he got on well with. As far as saying 'holiday' he just means you're not going to be working 24/7. I wouldn't see any reason to assume there's a job if nothing has been mentioned so far.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.