The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps consider maths as well as it will look good on your UCAS and will make you be able to compete against the other law applicants given that they usually have eng lit as well.
Reply 2
Original post by hellomynameisr
Perhaps consider maths as well as it will look good on your UCAS and will make you be able to compete against the other law applicants given that they usually have eng lit as well.

I was told to subjects that I was certain that I would get A's in as the grades for university count more than what the A-level is so I chose my best 3 subjects; I'm not exactly sure I'd get an A maths. However, I'm considering to do it for AS level and drop it. Is that a good idea?
Original post by Hasanalm

Yes it is true to do subjects that you will do well in however, the subjects you have chosen (except for history) are not that rigorous in terms of content and are known as 'soft subjects'. By having maths it could balance it out and give you a better chance at getting in to a top university, especially due to the competitiveness of law.

Maths isn't as hard as some make it out to be. If you do decide to take maths, then I strongly recommend learning C1 (the first module) during the summer so that when you start school, you'll be on top of everything.
Sounds a pretty good choice to me.

Law careers demand excellent English skills, among other things - perhaps English Language would suit you? I wouldn't worry about your choices not being rigorous enough. My daughter did English Language, Theatre Studies and Psychology at A level. Got into Oxbridge and is now a barrister.

The 3 As at A level however, have been crucial.
Reply 5
Original post by pickup
Sounds a pretty good choice to me.

Law careers demand excellent English skills, among other things - perhaps English Language would suit you? I wouldn't worry about your choices not being rigorous enough. My daughter did English Language, Theatre Studies and Psychology at A level. Got into Oxbridge and is now a barrister.

The 3 As at A level however, have been crucial.

WOW! Congratulations on your daughter's success. That has given me a lot of confidence.
Original post by hellomynameisr
Yes it is true to do subjects that you will do well in however, the subjects you have chosen (except for history) are not that rigorous in terms of content and are known as 'soft subjects'. By having maths it could balance it out and give you a better chance at getting in to a top university, especially due to the competitiveness of law.

Maths isn't as hard as some make it out to be. If you do decide to take maths, then I strongly recommend learning C1 (the first module) during the summer so that when you start school, you'll be on top of everything.

OP would be better off taking two facilitating essay-based subjects.

Maths won't make him stand out for Law like it might for some other subjects. Having two essay-based facilitating subjects is somewhat expected when applying for Law at a highly-ranked university.
Swap Psychology for something facilitating, like Geography.
WOW! Congratulations on your daughter's success. That has given me a lot of confidence.

Thanks - she went to our local Comp too. The main thing is to be ambitious. Far too many people don't give themselves a chance. Planning carefully and in good time for your exams is the thing. Good luck.
Maths doesn't relate at all to law and won't be useful unless you're planning to do maths, physics etc at uni. Sociology is great to do at a level when wanting to go into law at uni. They both kind of relate to each other. You will find that there are many things you learn in sociology than you can apply to law. It looks great on a UCAS application as it can definitely relate to some modules you'd be studying at uni.

However I think the choices you have are great for law. Especially psychology and history. I would however recommend you do law at a level also as it will put you above the students who didn't study that subject at a level, when applying to unis
Do whatever subjects you think you will get the best grades in.
I can assure you that the whole "do subjects x, y, z to get into law" rhetoric that is spread among people who don't even have plans of reading law at university is often false. Very few courses expect you do particular subjects. Law is not one of them.

However, if you do have an interest towards commercial law, I would recommend you consider an A-level in economics. It is a very interesting subject and should develop your commercial awareness a lot. But that is purely just a suggestion.

If you are happy with your three choices as of now, go ahead with them. A-levels can be tough when you study subjects you are not particularly inclined towards so I would say you are on the right path by selecting those three subjects that you feel confident/interested about.
Reply 11
Original post by study2016
Do whatever subjects you think you will get the best grades in.
I can assure you that the whole "do subjects x, y, z to get into law" rhetoric that is spread among people who don't even have plans of reading law at university is often false. Very few courses expect you do particular subjects. Law is not one of them.

However, if you do have an interest towards commercial law, I would recommend you consider an A-level in economics. It is a very interesting subject and should develop your commercial awareness a lot. But that is purely just a suggestion.

If you are happy with your three choices as of now, go ahead with them. A-levels can be tough when you study subjects you are not particularly inclined towards so I would say you are on the right path by selecting those three subjects that you feel confident/interested about.

Thank you!
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Maths won't make him stand out for Law like it might for some other subjects. Having two essay-based facilitating subjects is somewhat expected when applying for Law at a highly-ranked university.

I know several people who have read Law at decent universities - Cambridge, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol, LSE - having taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry and a modern language so I doubt your advice.
Original post by Compost
I know several people who have read Law at decent universities - Cambridge, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol, LSE - having taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry and a modern language so I doubt your advice.

Yeah at least have one of those subjects, but History\english lit are the big ones
Original post by Compost

And there are so many more who study Law having done two essay-based facilitating subjects at A-level than those who haven't.

It's not impossible without it, but it makes it easier.
My choices are History, Psychology and Religious studies.

Good choices for Law?

P.S I do not want to do Eng Lit what so ever

Make sure you are doing subjects that you will enjoy
Original post by katherine9609
Maths doesn't relate at all to law and won't be useful unless you're planning to do maths, physics etc at uni. Sociology is great to do at a level when wanting to go into law at uni. They both kind of relate to each other. You will find that there are many things you learn in sociology than you can apply to law. It looks great on a UCAS application as it can definitely relate to some modules you'd be studying at uni.

However I think the choices you have are great for law. Especially psychology and history. I would however recommend you do law at a level also as it will put you above the students who didn't study that subject at a level, when applying to unis

No, many Law departments specifically say they do not want you to have Law at A level. A popular route into a career in Law eg solicitor/barrister is not even to read Law at University but to read a non Law degree such as English / History followed by the 1 year full time GDL ( Graduate Diploma in Law), 2 years part time. Barristers' chambers recruit roughly 50% Law Graduates 50% non Law I believe. You may be able to get a scholarship for the GDL from an Inn or your future law firm may pay. Otherwise you pay yourself.
Original post by pickup
No, many Law departments specifically say they do not want you to have Law at A level. A popular route into a career in Law eg solicitor/barrister is not even to read Law at University but to read a non Law degree such as English / History followed by the 1 year full time GDL ( Graduate Diploma in Law), 2 years part time. Barristers' chambers recruit roughly 50% Law Graduates 50% non Law I believe. You may be able to get a scholarship for the GDL from an Inn or your future law firm may pay. Otherwise you pay yourself.

That's certainly not what I heard form actual law llb graduates :smile: Never have I also seen a university say "don't do law if you want to do a law degree" or write next to their requirements that none of the a levels can be law. In fact, I've spoken to several law lecturers and they say that doing law at a level puts you at an advantage since you have an idea of what you'll be learning and you'll have the basic knowledge of the course.

After all, barely any uni requires you to have any specific a level to study law but having an idea of the course/subject puts you way ahead of those who went into law after studying biology/chemistry/maths for example

Not to mention, not everyone that goes into law wants to become a barrister or a solicitor. If every law undergraduate went into a law career after uni then dead lord, we'd have a solicitors/barristers/lawyers offices and firms round every corner

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pickup
No, many Law departments specifically say they do not want you to have Law at A level.

I think only LSE specifically says it doesn't want Law A level though i'm not sure any university puts it as a desirable.

A huge amount of rubbish is said about the A levels you need for Law (look at how different the answers have been on this thread) so I'd take most of it with a pinch of salt.
Reply 19
History, English Language and a subject that you'll enjoy! It's important you enjoy it so that you can achieve a good grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest