The Student Room Group

Failed A Level Maths a year early

Hi, I'm doing A Level Maths and Further Maths so I did the 6 A Level modules in my first year (Lower Sixth/ Year 12). Unfortunately, I think I completely failed the last module C4 (like D/E grade) so will have to retake it next year. Will I have to put this on my ucas application and will it damage my chances of getting into a better university even if I do well when I resit it next year?
Original post by 10daveywi
Hi, I'm doing A Level Maths and Further Maths so I did the 6 A Level modules in my first year (Lower Sixth/ Year 12). Unfortunately, I think I completely failed the last module C4 (like D/E grade) so will have to retake it next year. Will I have to put this on my ucas application and will it damage my chances of getting into a better university even if I do well when I resit it next year?

You have to declare all results, so yes. It's unlikely to make a big difference, unless you are applying for one of the very top universities for maths.
Actually, a similar thing happened to me last year. I got a c in c4 and ended up with a low B overall. I didn't put any of the a2 part of maths on my ucas and begged my teacher for a good predictions to go on the reference. I ended up getting offers from unis like imperial and Durham etc so it worked out for me. Just make sure in the coming year you work hard during practice tests so your maths teacher can predict you a good grade, I'm sure it'll all work out if you try your best :smile: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by BakedPotatoast
Actually, a similar thing happened to me last year. I got a c in c4 and ended up with a low B overall. I didn't put any of the a2 part of maths on my ucas

If you were cashed in for A level Maths then that is a very risky option. I have know candidates be rejected for not owning up to all their grades.
Original post by Compost
If you were cashed in for A level Maths then that is a very risky option. I have know candidates be rejected for not owning up to all their grades.

Well technically since most students only do half the a level in the junior sixth, if you've done the full a-level, failed, then plan to retake it along with reasonable predictions I don't really see the problem. But then again I don't really know how the system works but that's how it went when I applied for uni.
Reply 5
Original post by BakedPotatoast
Well technically since most students only do half the a level in the junior sixth, if you've done the full a-level, failed, then plan to retake it along with reasonable predictions I don't really see the problem. But then again I don't really know how the system works but that's how it went when I applied for uni.

Getting a poor grade wasn't what got them rejected, it was lying on the application when they were asked to declare all grades, hence I suggested it was a risky option. It's OK if you haven't been cashed-in, but if you have you really ought to declare it.
Original post by Compost
Getting a poor grade wasn't what got them rejected, it was lying on the application when they were asked to declare all grades, hence I suggested it was a risky option. It's OK if you haven't been cashed-in, but if you have you really ought to declare it.

Ah yes, that would make sense.

Quick Reply

Latest