The Student Room Group

Some people shouldn't get to vote

Some people aren't capable of telling the difference between a fact, an opinion and a lie, and they aren't capable of evaluating evidence. They aren't capable of being sceptical and thinking critically.

They're so arrogant and ignorant that they'll dismiss the opinions of renowned experts, somehow deciding that they know better. It never occurs to these people "actually, maybe I'm full of ****". They just make stuff up as they go along, whatever fits their agenda, and they ignore anyone who tries to interfere.

There are people that voted to leave the EU because "We give 350m/week to the EU". We don't. They could have made this shocking revelation had they bothered to do 5 seconds of research, but they didn't. They don't even know what they want because they don't know what's real and what's made up.

Everyone who disagrees with them is dismissed as having an agenda, and then they decide that they're just as qualified to comment. Scientists around the world said that a Brexit would be bad for the UK, but these Little Englanders knew better.

They're opposed to progress, and actively sabotage it, and they think that anything they don't understand is evil.

These are the people that would have had us keep believing the Earth is flat, and the people that would have kept burning scientists at the stake for their heresy.

And then, when it turns out they made the wrong decision, they just say "well, that's democracy!" and we all have to suffer the consequences.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you'll grow out of this phase eventually (probably)
Original post by Waifuism
you'll grow out of this phase eventually (probably)

What phase? Is not wanting our economy to get worse a phase? Is forming opinions on evidence a phase? Is listening to the people that actually know what they're talking about a phase?

If I ever grow out of it, please take away my right to vote.
Reply 3
Yes, but then Labour would never get elected as you've stripped the North East of all their votes? :s
Reply 4
Original post by JordanL_
What phase? Is not wanting our economy to get worse a phase? Is forming opinions on evidence a phase? Is listening to the people that actually know what they're talking about a phase?

If I ever grow out of it, please take away my right to vote.

the "people who don't hold my opinion shouldn't be allowed to vote" phase
So basically everyone who doesn't agree with you shouldn't be allowed to vote? that sounds fair............
Original post by Reeeeyah
So basically everyone who doesn't agree with you shouldn't be allowed to vote? that sounds fair............

Where did I say that?

I said people who disagree with facts. If you think the earth is flat, you shouldn't get to vote.
Reply 7
Where did I say that?

I said people who disagree with facts. If you think the earth is flat, you shouldn't get to vote.

i feel sorry for normal people that voted for remain because they get grouped with people like you
i feel sorry for normal people that voted for remain because they get grouped with people like you

They're all stuck with a declining economy and a brain drain because of people that don't know what facts are. You haven't actually made a point, you're just being condescending.
Reply 9
Wouldn't it just be better not to have referendums?

Because that's the real issue isn't it. Since in general elections most people live in areas where the result is a foregone conclusion of course.
and who are these people not capable of critical thinking? only those that disagreed with you i assume ?
you're just being condescending.

because arguing in good faith with someone like you does not work

you somehow believe that your own opinion is 100% factual while those who voted leave believe only in lies, and that this clearly means they aren't allowed to vote on the future of their own country
Too right. The under 25s and unemployed shouldn't get to vote. They contribute nothing to this country.
Original post by wildleaves
and who are these people not capable of critical thinking? only those that disagreed with you i assume ?

because arguing in good faith with someone like you does not work

you somehow believe that your own opinion is 100% factual while those who voted leave believe only in lies, and that this clearly means they aren't allowed to vote on the future of their own country

I'm not talking about opinions though. Like I said, facts are facts. If you think the earth is flat, you're wrong, just like if you think we'll have £350m/week more after leaving the EU, you're wrong. These aren't opinions.
Where did I say that?

So would you also agree that some people on the remain side are ignorant and arrogant or does this just apply to the leave side?

I honestly don't know an awful lot about politics but I feel your OP is rather ignorant, basically assuming most of the people who voted to leave are all stupid.
So would you also agree that some people on the remain side are ignorant and arrogant or does this just apply to the leave side?

I honestly don't know an awful lot about politics but I feel your OP is rather ignorant, basically assuming most of the people who voted to leave are all stupid.

That depends whether they based their choice on things that were factually untrue. If they did then of course.
Reply 16

It's not just his op.

Op
just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they shouldn't get a vote. Should we take the vote from women and poor people like in the past?
That depends whether they based their choice on things that were factually untrue. If they did then of course.

Well I voted to leave :bootyshake:
Original post by joecphillips
It's not just his op.

Op
just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they shouldn't get a vote. Should we take the vote from women and poor people like in the past?

It's nothing to do with disagreeing with me. You can't agree or disagree with facts.
Reply 19
Original post by joecphillips
It's not just his op.

Op

Actually ,come to think of it,it probably wouldn't be too bad an idea if we only let women vote.

Quick Reply

Latest