The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for answering my question :biggrin: I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to A-Levels, as I'm sitting the IB exams.

It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to just go for it, Chloe. Best of luck!

-Becs
Reply 21
I will take Economics and probably History. School doesnt offer Maths and I probably wouldn't take it anyway as I am only doing Further Maths AS. What they would be helpful for is if you decide to reapply for some reason. An AEA distinction looks very strong. Take them if you want to, but don't be upset if you fail.
Well, they wil not affect your chances of getting an offer that much, but passing an AEA may sweeten the pot if you just miss your A-Level grades!
Reply 23
teamvillage
Well, they wil not affect your chances of getting an offer that much, but passing an AEA may sweeten the pot if you just miss your A-Level grades!

sorry to dash your hopes, but they would rather give the place to someone who got their offer than someone who missed their offer but did well in AEAs
Reply 24
I considered doing AEAs in History, English Literature, Chemistry and Biology, but eventually only did the one if History because of exam clashes- they were all in the heart of my A levels exam timetable. This was this years A2s cycle incidentally. If you are fascinated by the subject, and want to study it further, go ahead- but I wouldn't suggest doing them simply for the extra qualification- they certainly interrupted my revision timetable for other subjects. Maybe just take the one directly relevant to the degree you want to study?

Also, I found that for the science AEAs, there wasn't much revision required, but certainly for history, there was a strong historiographical leaning that did need extra reading, for me at least. I hope I'm helping.
Reply 25
~Sam~
I don't think they're a waste of time, but I think it would be unfair if they were part of the selection process as most people don't get a chance to take them.

People would get the chance to take them if they were included in offers.
elpaw
sorry to dash your hopes, but they would rather give the place to someone who got their offer than someone who missed their offer but did well in AEAs

Well there's a bloke here in Oxford who missed the grades (got AAB) but was taken as he got a D in an AEA (the same subject he got a B in...)
Reply 27
I'm not taking any (the closest one I could take is Psychology- new this year- but I'm applying for Law in the UK anyway), and I don't see the point of it. It is a fresh qualification and universities don't seem to credit it much. It is also pretty hard, and can be another (unecessary) thing to worry about. Of course, it doesn't require further knowledge (but further thinking rather), so if you're willing to spend 3 hrs, then do it.
Maybe put it this way. If you're smart, have true potential and show it in your interview, and have a solid character, Oxford will pick you nevertheless of your grades. I'm sure nearly all Oxbridge applicants are realistic and have several As (i.e. academically able) or have a true thirst for knowledge. It's that 'extra push' of critical and advance thinking that Oxford wants.
On the other hand, if they made AEA test dates several months before Oxbridge UCAS deadline, then I will do it (not that it affects me now..) just to see how well I can handle undergraduate study (apparently it gives a good picture, as the Cambridge website states).

(Btw, I know this guy who got high A for Econ in A2 and actually failed his AEA- maybe this gives a picture of how hard the test is)
sad-ist

(Btw, I know this guy who got high A for Econ in A2 and actually failed his AEA- maybe this gives a picture of how hard the test is)

Exactly, but that's the point :smile:. Only people with safe A's are meant to even take it, and about 40% fail them on average!
Reply 29
Thank you for the advice, everyone!

I'm still not definitely decided - the fact that they're all scheduled in the last week of exams, along with my final French module, gives me pause for thought, but several people seem to think it's a good idea - I'll probably go ahead. I'm not really expecting an Oxford offer so it would be silly to do them solely for that reason anyway!
Reply 30
teamvillage
Exactly, but that's the point :smile:. Only people with safe A's are meant to even take it, and about 40% fail them on average!

I think 40% pass.

At least, this is what I was being told after I failed AEA German.
Reply 31
I took English AEA last year (I'm on my gap year). As I'm applying post A Level for English, it seemed worthwhile. It wasn't very much work, and I came out thinking I had performed very badly, but the point is you can disregard them if you don't get a result you're pleased with. If you do, they just support your application.
Reply 32
Lucy001
I took English AEA last year (I'm on my gap year). As I'm applying post A Level for English, it seemed worthwhile. It wasn't very much work, and I came out thinking I had performed very badly, but the point is you can disregard them if you don't get a result you're pleased with. If you do, they just support your application.

Im in a similar situation because i intend to take aeas in chem, bio, physics and maths (or STEP) but im taking a gap year next year and i will apply then after gaining my grades. So it will be really worthwile if i get m or d on any of them because it instantly shows passion for the subjects upon application. Only thing is that the exams are at the end of the A2 exam period but some do come a day before different subject's final exams. But it shouldnt make much difference because that time shouldnt be needed for revision and they do say practice makes perfect. So by then ur exam technique should be red hot. Also i have heard people mention on here that they are fun and challenging and i do admit that the one question i attempted from the biology specimen paper at 1 o clock in the morning was fun. It was difficult but i was along the right lines on most parts of the question and you have much more freedom to express and demonstrate ur logical capabilities aswell as your knowledge depth. I have a similar thread going about aea's - its called aes - essential for oxbridge entry? I know that they are not but in my eyes they certainly do give you an edge. Thing is - i go to a college in bournemouth and i asked the exam department (an actual team of people in an office who should know loads about exam stuff) about doing aea's and they said they had never even heard of them. I will probably be the first student to ever sit one at the college. It does seem strange though doing an exam for 3 HOURS all on my own.
So to chloe - i wanted to add to your thread about whether to take 2 or 3 because as you can see i intend to take 4. This is because i see it as a "nothing to lose" situation so if you feel that you want to - go for it!
Reply 33
My friend did exaclty those 3 AEAs last year.
He got distinctions for English and History and a merit for French.
I think he thought French would be the easiest... but he hardly had any lessons for it.
For english and history he had weekly lessons for like 2 terms and obv did very well.
I'd just be wary of relying on your confidence through the normal courses, cos i think they're very different in their emphasis.
I dont know how much oxbridge care about them, perhaps if you're applying post a level it has more value...i dunno
on my ucas form will it help me anyway if i sya im doin aea, or shall i leave it out, im applying oxford history and doing hist aea at the end of yr
Yes; include it.
It might look impressive if they see you're doing it, but bear in mind that they might include it in an offer.
they might put in the offer at oxford? i doubt this
Reply 38
If you put it down they have the right to ask you for it; if you don't put it down, they won't. Bear that in mind.
Reply 39
LondonBoy
they might put in the offer at oxford? i doubt this

has been done before...

Latest

Trending

Trending