The Student Room Group

STEP required?

I was considering maths at uni and wondered which universities do and don't require STEP? Is it fundamental to do STEP if you want to do maths at uni? And is it also necessary to do the whole further maths course? I was considering looking at Birmingham, Bath (which I know does STEP), Durham, Leeds and Nottingham
Reply 1
Original post by sunnyrays07
I was considering maths at uni and wondered which universities do and don't require STEP? Is it fundamental to do STEP if you want to do maths at uni? And is it also necessary to do the whole further maths course? I was considering looking at Birmingham, Bath (which I know does STEP), Durham, Leeds and Nottingham

As far as I'm aware, Cambridge is the ONLY university that requires STEP (Warwick also used to include it in their standard offer, too, but I believe they have relaxed the requirement this year - check their website for latest details),

A small number of other unis such as Bath allow a STEP grade as an alternative to getting high A level grades, but this isn't a mandatory requirement!

You really need to have a look at some specific uni websites - STEP is a massive overkill for most unis, and there are also many decent unis that don't require FM because they recognize that a lot of students don't have the opportunity to study it!
Cambridge and Warwick require step, imperial do if MAT isn't up to scratch, Bath and I think 1 or 2 more all use STEP in some capacity, other unis may take it into consideration but by no means is it a requirement for an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest