The Student Room Group

Londoners only

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Legendary Quest
Should everyone in the UK have a vote on whether or not Scotland should be independent because Scotland is part of UK (and Great Britain) and therefore belongs to us all?

I don't remember being asked to vote in the Scottish referendum
Reply 81
Original post by Foo.mp3
Which part don't you get duck? :holmes:

The 'immigrants' part. Does that mean I and most people living within London are immigrants? As fantastic fan has pointed out. We hold British passports but I'm ethnically not English/British.
(edited 7 years ago)
This isn't a bad idea. Other parts of the UK could offer tax advantages to get companies to relocate there instead.
Reply 83
Original post by queen-bee
Will you join us,in London? :kiss:

Unfortunately I would end up beating most of you up and forcing you to become leavers :nope:
Original post by KDDK
We don't have to vote for London independence as a state, but can copy the relationship between HongKong and mainland China. We can still call ourselves as British people, but with independent currency, independent government, and of course, independent rights to join the EU again.

London would still be recognized as a city and not a sovereign nation, what you're trying to say is like asking the Vatican to join the European Union which is a senseless thing to do.
Yes lets be independent.
No, that's a pretty stupid idea. Who cares if the rest of the UK doesn't like Londoners? That's not a legit reason to separate
Do y'all want to be independent from the rest of the U.K.? If so,what would our flag look like

I just think this beautiful city is different from the rest of the U.K. And most of these non Londoners don't seem to like us,I don't know why :frown: London is full of fun

London is a cesspit. Overcrowed, forced acceptance of otrher cultures - cultures I might add that dont mix with each other and stick to themselves; insanely high house prices; and half the city is ghetto-ised now with the influx of poor migrants ttrying to turn where they live back into shanty towns they came from lmao
Reply 88
This is so ****ing stupid. The goal should be to improve other cities so we can have more londons, not to separate Britain even more. Next thing you know all cities will want independence.
Do y'all want to be independent from the rest of the U.K.? If so,what would our flag look like

I just think this beautiful city is different from the rest of the U.K. And most of these non Londoners don't seem to like us,I don't know why :frown: London is full of fun

I don't like London simply because of its size. Coming from a much smaller city, it can come across as intimidating. That said, I respect London as an economic force and powerhouse and for what it brings culturally, economically, etc. to our country as a whole.
Presumably this has already been posted, but just in case....

[video="youtube;Ln3sidFtIAU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3sidFtIAU[/video]
Original post by KDDK
We don't have to vote for London independence as a state, but can copy the relationship between HongKong and mainland China. We can still call ourselves as British people, but with independent currency, independent government, and of course, independent rights to join the EU again.

A separate currency for London only sounds like an administrative nightmare.
This whole thing about London becoming an independent state is ludicrous Londoners seem to think very highly of themselves compared to the rest of the country. You're not going to get special treatment, snowflakes.
Original post by Black Cat
This whole thing about London becoming an independent state is ludicrous Londoners seem to think very highly of themselves compared to the rest of the country. You're not going to get special treatment, snowflakes.

The amount of Londoners I've seen crying and comparing a Remain vote to bereavement, I struggle to believe they can possibly cope by themselves.
No.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Yes. If you're not white-British you are, by definition/broadly considered, an immigrant

British citizenship/a piece of paper does not alter the fact one is an immigrant/from an immigrant background e.g. if I move to Syria and pickup a passport I don't suddenly become Levantine/stop being classed as an immigrant to the ME

If you are born in the UK, you're not an immigrant. Having a British passport doesn't mean you're not an immigrant, yeah. But being born and raised in the UK does.
Original post by Black Cat

Ohhh people who voted to leave the EU because it'd not bend over backwards to accommodate UK complaining about snowflakes; definition of irony.
London contributes more to the UK than any other region, gets back comparatively little and now it has literally been ****ed by people worried about 'immigrants' while living in areas with virtually none, or worried about 'democracy' while living in country where government with unlimited power can be elected by 37% of electorate. London has more in common with areas like Berlin, New York, Frankfurt than with backwater areas like Stevenage and will do better in EU than it'll in UK outside of EU.
Original post by swanderfeild
Ohhh people who voted to leave the EU because it'd not bend over backwards to accommodate UK complaining about snowflakes; definition of irony.
London contributes more to the UK than any other region, gets back comparatively little and now it has literally been ****ed by people worried about 'immigrants' while living in areas with virtually none, or worried about 'democracy' while living in country where government with unlimited power can be elected by 37% of electorate. London has more in common with areas like Berlin, New York, Frankfurt than with backwater areas like Stevenage and will do better in EU than it'll in UK outside of EU.

You're going completely off-topic here let's get real though London wouldn't last very long independently. I find it funny how you make assumptions about me I didn't even get to vote during the referendum because I wasn't eligible to do so as an EU national. I agree with you on some points though London does contribute a lot, but they're in no position to be running things by themselves. In terms of leadership and finances.

You actually think that London could run itself like Hong kong does in China?
Forgive me for asking, but what happens to the Queen if London was to become an independent city state? Would she be forced to move to Winchester or something? :colonhash:
Original post by Samantha Momba
Don't get me wrong, I love living in London.

But you are obsessed, acting like London is the best city in the world.

When it clearly isn't.

London is one of the greatest cities in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest