Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Cfe Higher Geography - climate change

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

Hi, I am currently studying climate change and I am not sure about the physical causes? if anyone could help this would be great thanks

(Original post by rabia999)
    Hi, I am currently studying climate change and I am not sure about the physical causes? if anyone could help this would be great thanks
    Hello! I studied climate change in AS Level Geography with WJEC. Some of the physical causes of climate change we learned about were:

Physical causes for short term climate change:

Volcanic eruptions
    Major volcanic eruptions are able to influence the climate. Volcanic eruptions that produce a lot of ash reflect solar radiation, making the climate colder in the short term by lowering average global temperatures before falling back to Earth.

Fluctuations in solar radiation
    The solar constant (total amount of energy received by earth from the sun) is not actually constant, and has varied by about 0.1% over the last 400 years or so. Sunspots are dark areas on the surface of the sun. An increase in sunspot activity seems to produce a slight increase in the solar constant and therefore warmer temperatures.

Physical causes for long term climate change:

Milankovitch cycles
    Eccentricity cycle - the shape of the Earth's orbit varies from a circular orbit to an elliptical orbit, over a 100,000 year cycle.
    • A circular orbit causes a decrease in seasonality – mild winters and cool summers. Not all of the snow melts in the summer, so this orbit produces glacial conditions.
    • An elliptical orbit causes an increase in seasonality – cold winters and hot summers. Snow melts in the warm summer, so this orbit produces interglacial conditions.
    Obliquity cycle - The tilt of the Earth's axis varies between 22.1° and 24.5° over a 41,000 year cycle.
    • At maximum tilt (24.5°), polar areas receive more sunlight during the summer. This causes melting of ice and produces interglacial conditions.
    • A minimum tilt (22.1°),polar areas receive less sunlight during the summer. This causes an expansion of ice and produces glacial conditions.
    Methane ice releases from the oceans
    Methane ice is a solid form of methane, which remains stable and solid up to approximately 18°C. As global temperatures rise due to other factors, both physical and human, the methane ice becomes unstable and is able to move, rising up through the ocean and entering the atmosphere. Because methane is more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, it accelerates global warming further.

I hope that helps
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.