The Student Room Group

Can I get a maintenance loan or not?

Hi really hope someone can help.

I have received conflicting information about maintenance loans :confused:
I rang SFE a couple weeks and was told I can apply for a maintenance loan towards living costs but at the open evening I attended this week for my prospective college their finance team told me I can not. Who is right? Without a maintenance loan I can not attend because I won't be able to afford it.

The course would be a Level 3 Extended diploma.

I am a mature student living alone earning less than £20,000 (which would be even less if I attend college because I will have to quit my full time job and get a part time one).

Many thanks.
Original post by HLC1909
Hi really hope someone can help.

I have received conflicting information about maintenance loans :confused:
I rang SFE a couple weeks and was told I can apply for a maintenance loan towards living costs but at the open evening I attended this week for my prospective college their finance team told me I can not. Who is right? Without a maintenance loan I can not attend because I won't be able to afford it.

The course would be a Level 3 Extended diploma.

I am a mature student living alone earning less than £20,000 (which would be even less if I attend college because I will have to quit my full time job and get a part time one).

Many thanks.

A level 3 extended diploma counts as FE study (and so isn't something you can get standard HE student finance for).

So no you can't get a maintenance loan.

If you were under 20 then you might be able to claim income support (https://www.gov.uk/income-support/eligibility )

As a mature student on an FE course your options are limited. You can get funding to pay your fees but you'll be reliant on savings/earnings to fund your liivng costs. I'd recommend a thorough search on https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/ to find out if you are eligible for any charitable grants. It's worth applying for a large number of smaller grants to subsidise yourself.

Another option to explore is to talk to your college. Often they will have bursaries available to cover some living costs for people in your situation - especially if you make it clear that without support you wont be able to take the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending