The Student Room Group

☆ Post your advice for new year 11s!! ☆

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you think you're capable, try to finish all major and fundamental revision at least a month before. This will put your mind at ease and put you at an advantage. Not necessary I guess but if you're like me and enjoy being well on top of things then it's best to get the work done as soon as possible.
Do all the coursework well then cram everything in 4 days before Exam. Worked for me.
Smoke zoots.

@Banana208
Original post by Federerr
Smoke zoots.

@Banana208

You're gonna get yourself banned.
And no dont smoke kids.
If you are doing a language such as French then start learning the key vocabulary in the summer holidays or the start of September because this will really help you near exam time.:smile: Also start learning your science topics on the same day as you learn it in class as this will help it stick into your head more. Trust me, I regret not doing this.:redface: For English and English Lit, try and improve your coursework to an A* or an A as this will help you a lot at the end.:smile:
Feel no pressure... THESE ARE ONLY LETTERS ON A PAPER THAT WILL DICTATE YOUR CHANCES FOR FURTHER EDUCATION AND WORK FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES!!!
Revise all the way through Y11. Treat your mocks as real exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Revise from the beginning.

And if your doing subjects with factual content such as science, make past papers your best friend!! The questions always change, but the answers dont! I reccomend doing each paper about 5 times, you will be able to remember solid mark scheme answers, as i already said the question will change and it will be worded differently, but can answers really change? There is only one right answer!!

For english literature, gather your perceptive points! And do not let your question frame what points you make! Make whatever point you can think of, and find a way to link it back!

A great perceptive point is name analysis, check out youtube for name analysis of various characters in the books your studying!

For maths, practise formulas and theorems and then put them into exam practice! Do lots of papers.

Remember: Pythagorous theorem and SOHCAHTOA, will always come up! If you have not yet done these methods then you have done something wrong! Go back and check!

In maths you will most likely have time left when you finish the paper, ask for a spare paper and begin working out the questions for a second time! It will help you spot any mistakes and then you can quickly correct them.. It will surprise you how many silly mistakes you can make.

For history, i'd say revise as early as you can! Always go over the content as it is alot! Remember dates and orders, and use key terms e.g breakthrough, progression, regression etc

For languages, use QUIZLET! Sadly i only discovered this website a few days before my exam, but oh my god it is so good! I learnt about 5 sets of vocab and luckily they came up in my exam and i was able to understand it all! Tell your teacher about it and they will have to put up vocab for you to learn! Its very fun and has games too.

Lastly, dont get caught up in relationships and friendship drama but at the same time dont ignore them! Its easy to get extremely annoyed and stressed and you feel like you want to scream at everyone but dont. Maintain your friendships because your all going through the same thing, you just have to do it together, make the most out of your teachers, thats what theyre there for! Constantly ask them for help and resources! I know i annoyed the crap out of mine, especially for printing! But they will support you the entire way and you will miss some of them when you leave for sure! So revise and prepare as much as you can but have fun and stay healthy at the same time! Always remember health is more important than anything! Year 11 will be over before you know it! I cant believe 5 years have finished so fast, i cant even remember anything after January! you will have met some amazing people on the way, keep in touch with them!

Good luck, it'll be over with a blink of an eye!
(edited 7 years ago)
Use the specification to make revision notes and don't trust your teachers to teach you everything! Especially in April/May time, they'll probably skip some things to try and finish the course before exams.
FOR GODS SAKE, start revision earlier than the night before. you don't even know how horrible it is to have to cram knowledge like carboxylic acids, esters, alkanes and all that chemistry that you never really realised would be coming up in TOMORROW'S exam because you were too busy being lazy and binge watching the new season of 'orange is the new black' the night before and all you can hear in your head is: "hmm; maybe it would be easier to just die." TRUST ME it's not a fun experience.

at least get started on some revision for each of your subjects a month or so before, and keep going through it or finish it off when there's a few weeks left. i know this will be difficult because yor exam season would have already began but just make sure that you are equally distributing your effort (even if you think french should burn in hell). then the night before you can revise from the revision you already have instead of having to create all the revision materials that night.

(but TIP: your revision must be interactive to be able to remember more! making revision a long time before the exam but then only reading it just before the day is not effective. what i found good was getting my parents/sibling to take my revision notes and test me on it!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Here is my honest advice: Just mess around in year 11. GCSEs don't really matter.
Reply 31
Original post by starstudent7
If you are doing a language such as French then start learning the key vocabulary in the summer holidays or the start of September because this will really help you near exam time..

Yes this is so important!! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by tamanna___

Lastly, dont get caught up in relationships and friendship drama but at the same time dont ignore them! Its easy to get extremely annoyed and stressed and you feel like you want to scream at everyone but dont. Maintain your friendships because your all going through the same thing, you just have to do it together, make the most out of your teachers, thats what theyre there for! Constantly ask them for help and resources! I know i annoyed the crap out of mine, especially for printing!
Good luck, it'll be over with a blink of an eye!

I totally agree with this, it was me :tongue:
Obviously revise consistently but not too much to start with - you have to build up. So, a few months before exams maybe do an hour per night and then just keep working up from there. It's important at the start of year 11 to give yourself a break *cough* Netflix :biggrin: During exams, posters to stick around your room help so much. Good luck current year 10s :wink:
Don't leave a past paper undone!
Reply 35
No need for advice. GCSEs are piss easy, any one that says otherwise is lying or stupid.
Original post by Banana208
You're gonna get yourself banned.
And no dont smoke kids.

Says the one who rolls spliffs and spots and is addicted to the smell of benson and hedges 🤔😏😳
Start revising a few months before your exams (in March/April)

Read notes out loud when revising them.

Look online for revision websites.

If your school uses websites like SAMLearning, use it at least half an hour a day from when you start revising (I have 30,000 points from this year alone) and use every activity in your subjects multiple times.

Try and go to sleep at 7 or 8 before exams and wake up at 4 or 5 to do some last minute revision and the hours before the exam, stay calm but attempt to revise small bites of a subject just so you remember the revision you've done.

Most importantly, (I know many people always say this but it really works!) when exam season starts, don't stress, eat breakfast before exams and have at least 8 - 9 hours sleep before each exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Federerr
Says the one who rolls spliffs and spots and is addicted to the smell of benson and hedges 🤔😏😳

You talking about yourself there mate ?? :colone:
btw I said I've never acc rolled a zoot.

Shut up and give this year 11 some decent advice :p::tongue:
Original post by Banana208
You talking about yourself there mate ?? :colone:
btw I said I've never acc rolled a zoot.

Shut up and give this year 11 some decent advice :p::tongue:

Alright.

Real advice?

Hmm.

Lemme see...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest