The Student Room Group

I feel like my parents are ashamed of me...

OK so I'm a Malaysian guy but I've lived in the UK ever since I was about 12. The majority of my friends here are of British descent (English, Scottish, Welsh, NI, etc.) despite having quite a large South-East Asian community in where I live. I feel like my parents are kind of ashamed of me because I barely know anyone here of my nationality... Whenever I go out with my friends they always ask me who I'm going with, now obviously I tell them but they'd always hope that I'd be hanging out with Malaysians/Indonesians, so they sort of sigh...

Every now and then, the topic of friendship comes up when I talk with my parents, and I'm always reluctant to give them a sharp answer because I feel like they are ashamed of me. I feel like they don't think I'm in touch with my culture...
(edited 7 years ago)
Your parents seem racist OP.
Yeah, your parents are kinda racist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Let me get this straight.

Your parents move to the UK, most likely to seek and pursue a better life, and then they somehow want to be disconnected from both the country and the people around them? What? This is one of the most blatantly racist and prejudiced couple of people I've heard of in a while. There's not value or worth in being Malaysian or Indonesian. Value and worth in people comes from their actions, their behavior, their personality and their thoughts. People around you, no matter their nationality, are not going to be any better or worse friends because of their nationality. Besides, what did they expect? To move to a foreign country and for them and for their son to only be able to befriend people similar to them in nationality? What in the world???

They came to the UK and now they pressure you to, for whatever damn reason, pursue friends or relationships only within their own closed, narrow mindset of what you should be doing. Furthermore, there's no value in culture for the most part. There's no such thing as "being in touch with your culture". They come go, change and improve. Cultures are not something imposed on you, it's something you pick and seek out. You've decided to abandon this xenophobic, racist, prejudiced "culture" of your parents and adopted one of multiculturalism and diversity.

On an ending note, don't worry about being "disappointment as a child." I would worry about the fact that your parents are disappointments as people.
Original post by eftio.gea
OK so I'm a Malaysian guy but I've lived in the UK ever since I was about 12. The majority of my friends here are of British descent (English, Scottish, Welsh, NI, etc.) despite having quite a large South-East Asian community in where I live. I feel like my parents are kind of ashamed of me because I barely know anyone here of my nationality... Whenever I go out with my friends they always ask me who I'm going with, now obviously I tell them but they'd always hope that I'd be hanging out with Malaysians/Indonesians, so they sort of sigh...

Every now and then, the topic of friendship comes up when I talk with my parents, and I'm always reluctant to give them a sharp answer because I feel like they are ashamed of me. I feel like they don't think I'm in touch with my culture...

why should it matter who you hang around with. This is the UK they need to accept the diversity and let you hang out with whoever you meet x
This is one of the reasons people voted leave as they don't want to see people hanging out with just their own but make an effort. It's God to see you have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending