Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

problems with sixth form application! need desperate help!!!!

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I had the same problem as you did! I chose to go to college, a 30-40 minute drive out. While it was irritating at times, it was actually nice to get away from school and start fresh. It was also nice being able to study what I wanted to study. If you're set on business, try and find a way to do it. If the college offers it, apply for it. Even if you apply and go to interview etc, you still have no commitment. You can apply to more than one place and you'll just enrol where you want to study next year. It sounds like you really want to be able to do business, so definitely look into whether it's on at the college. As for the transport costs, there are schemes available to help you with that. Because it would be the closest place offering the course, if you have a low enough income you'll be able to get some help. The financial services team at college will be able to help you look into that

(Original post by Grace40)
    I am a student in Cornwall and applied to my school's sixth form. I found out yestrday that because the sixth form is only small (90 students) they are not running the bjsiness studies a level course because i am the only person who picked it and the business teacher at my school js in demand around other areas of the school also. I also cannot do biology as it clashes with geography on the timetable as tne timetable is made once everyone has picked their options so what others pick basically determines what i do. I can now only do chemistry and geography from my original options and have to pick another subjecf or 2. I then asked if i could do sociology but the answer was "no" because it would clash with geography again.... i have been left to pick out of subjects that i hate such as maths physics english literature photography art and the languages. I didnt do languages at gcse and am not arty or creative. I am a bright student with straight A* mock results at christmas time but am nkw considering going to the main college about 30 minutes away when tne sixth form is literally across tne road!!! I could probably do the options i want there but the only problem is transport. It means i would have extremely early mornings and late nights and the bus pass costs £500 which we cannot afford. I have been advised by my teachers to look around college and they said that the school would be shocked to see me go and i will be missed. I am just confused. The options are very limited at my sixth form but i should compromise on my education. Im sick of other peoples' options determining what i can and cant do. This was what exactly happened when i picked my gcse options. I only have a month now to make up my mind. College or sixth form???!!!!! I really need help and would appreciate it if anyone could take the time to help me as i found out this devestating news yesterday. I literally cried my eyes out when i was told that the business course was not running. Someone help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😢
    I would apply to the college. There is no point doing courses that don't appeal to you and don't get you to where you want to be. Have a look around and decide if you would be happy there. Think carefully whether a larger, more anonymous college environment will suit you. Also consider how easily you make new friends. Moving will be a challenge but could actually be a very positive thing for you.
    If money is an issue, look for part time work or a temporary summer job and save to help out the family finances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there any income based support available for you- there may be a hardship fund? (At the collage)
    If not;
    If you are not going to study maths to A Level physics will be too hard (I would consider maths though- it is very well respected)
    You could consider doing Biology opposed to geography- it would be good in combination with chemistry
    If you did drop the geo and do biology, chemistry and maths you would not need a 4th a level
    What do you actualy want to do after sixform?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.