The Student Room Group

What can we do to stop Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

You have to have leave of remain to be able to vote if you're not a British citizen
Original post by Noodle0
No. Stop denying democracy. The vote was leave. Blame the 43% of 18-24 year old's that didn't vote and are now whining about it.

Nobody is 'denying democracy. The referendum is not legally binding.
Reply 62
Original post by Kallisto
I see. So the people in yellow areas are against Brexit, am I right? hmmm... I wonder whether single countries of the UK - like Scotland - may turn the scale, even if after the voting. I mean Great Britain is a unit of four countries. Could this lead to trouble?

Yes - Yellow = Remain, Blue = Leave.

It is very likely to lead a referendum for Scottish independence. It is less likely in Northern Ireland, and not likely at all for Wales.

The significant complication for Scotland is they may not be welcomed into the EU for various political reasons. Spain, for example, is very concerned that Catalonia would try to move for independence but retain EU membership - so Spain would be likely to Veto an independent Scotland from joining the EU.

It is all going to get extremely messy before it gets better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zigglr
We can't allow the old people and pub plebs to ruin everything for the young generation. Is there anything we can do to stop brexit?

1) Without those 'old people', you wouldn't be here as you are. Most of those 'old people' fought for your freedom in World War 2; which if they didn't life would be very very different.

2) Those 'old people' have seen what it's like being outside the EU and have seen the changes the EU have made. They have seen the UK's decline inside the EU and can see that it's better outside before the UK loses it's individual identity. I trust their opinions and beliefs more than someone who hasn't seen the decline in national identity.

3) More of the 'old people' actually decided to vote on the future of their country (it is as much their country as it is your's) compared to the 18-24's so don't blame the old people blame roughly 2/5's of our generation who didn't vote.

4) More than half the country has chosen to leave; that is the decision you just have to deal with it. It seems that too many people, in our generation, have been brought up too leniently and are allowed to throw their toys out the pram if they don't get what they want. If you see how ridiculous people complaining like this are - look at the petitions people are creating that are equivalent:
- Replay the England v Iceland Match if we lose until we get the result that I want.
- Have a rematch of the Battle of Hastings, as I am not happy with the result.
- Redo Friday's Euro Millions as my numbers didn't come up.

You just have to deal with it. What has happened has happened. If you're going to be negative and get depressed about the result you will not get anywhere in life. What are you going to be like in the next general election which is even more undemocratic, with the current first past the post system, where a party can win with less than a third of the votes - if your desired party loses.

Voting out of the EU is not the end of the world; it is a great opportunity for the UK to control our country ourselves and not be governed by other countries. Yes, things may seem scary at first but that is always the case for major changes. It's like when you went from primary school to secondary school; things seem scary at first but once you get used to it - you don't look back.
I see. So the people in yellow areas are against Brexit, am I right? hmmm... I wonder whether single countries of the UK - like Scotland - may turn the scale, even if after the voting. I mean Great Britain is a unit of four countries. Could this lead to trouble?

I think Scotland will do its very best to try and leave the UK via trying to get a new referendum for independence and then try and hang onto or rejoin the EU. This will cause a lot of expense for the England and Wales.

Its not really a United kingdom anymore, but very divided.
Original post by clarkey500
1) Without those 'old people', you wouldn't be here as you are. Most of those 'old people' fought for your freedom in World War 2; which if they didn't life would be very very different.

2) Those 'old people' have seen what it's like being outside the EU and have seen the changes the EU have made. They have seen the UK's decline inside the EU and can see that it's better outside before the UK loses it's individual identity. I trust their opinions and beliefs more than someone who hasn't seen the decline in national identity.

3) More of the 'old people' actually decided to vote on the future of their country (it is as much their country as it is your's) compared to the 18-24's so don't blame the old people blame roughly 2/5's of our generation who didn't vote.

4) More than half the country has chosen to leave; that is the decision you just have to deal with it. It seems that too many people, in our generation, have been brought up too leniently and are allowed to throw their toys out the pram if they don't get what they want. If you see how ridiculous people complaining like this are - look at the petitions people are creating that are equivalent:
- Replay the England v Iceland Match if we lose until we get the result that I want.
- Have a rematch of the Battle of Hastings, as I am not happy with the result.
- Redo Friday's Euro Millions as my numbers didn't come up.

You just have to deal with it. What has happened has happened. If you're going to be negative and get depressed about the result you will not get anywhere in life. What are you going to be like in the next general election which is even more undemocratic, with the current first past the post system, where a party can win with less than a third of the votes - if your desired party loses.

Voting out of the EU is not the end of the world; it is a great opportunity for the UK to control our country ourselves and not be governed by other countries. Yes, things may seem scary at first but that is always the case for major changes. It's like when you went from primary school to secondary school; things seem scary at first but once you get used to it - you don't look back.

Firstly, old people did experience the UK out of the EU but most of them who voted out are uncomfortable with immigration and multiculturalism/diversity.

Secondly though most people did vote leave, most of those people regret their decisions.

Also, the lies used to gain votes to leave the EU is pathetic (e.g. investment into the NHS, immigration) therefore there is no reason why we don't deserve a second referendum. People were poorly informed about the possible consequences.
Original post by 999tigger
I think Scotland will do its very best to try and leave the UK via trying to get a new referendum for independence and then try and hang onto or rejoin the EU. This will cause a lot of expense for the England and Wales.

Its not really a United kingdom anymore, but very divided.

Yeah, that is the problem in this voing for leaving the EU: different countries with different opinions and views. Could be that Brexit causes a division of the UK.

Original post by jneill
Yes - Yellow = Remain, Blue = Leave.

It is vey likely to lead a referendum for Scottish independence. It is less likely in Northern Ireland, and not likely at all for Wales.

The significant complication for Scotland is they may not be welcomed into the EU for various political reasons. Spain, for example, is very concerned that Catalonia would try to move for independence but retain EU membership - so Spain would be likely to Veto an independent Scotland from joining the EU.

It is all going to get extremely messy before it gets better.

Holy moly, what a dilemma. That is even more complicated than I thought. What a lot of struggles.

Original post by tanyapotter
Yes, it is true.

Yeah, got it. Thanks.
Yeah, that is the problem in this voing for leaving the EU: different countries with different opinions and views. Could be that Brexit causes a division of the UK.

There is no could be about it, it already has.
Reply 68
All the benefits from the EU can be gained in the trade deal, the remain side must actively take part in this process and it could in fact lead to a brighter future for younger generations especially with the prospect of commonwealth trade deals
Original post by ellie0497
Firstly, old people did experience the UK out of the EU but most of them who voted out are uncomfortable with immigration and multiculturalism/diversity.

Secondly though most people did vote leave, most of those people regret their decisions.

Also, the lies used to gain votes to leave the EU is pathetic (e.g. investment into the NHS, immigration) therefore there is no reason why we don't deserve a second referendum. People were poorly informed about the possible consequences.

I've got some more revision to do so I'll make this quick.
- That's their choice there are other reasons why they voted out.
- Not enough to change the outcome. Also, there would probably be people who would regret voting remain but as the outcome was to leave they don't really need to regret their vote.
- What about the lies to vote remain. Where is this World War 3 Cameron said would happen? Why are the USA proposing a trade deal with the UK - even though we were apparently at the back of the queue? To name a few.
- Nobody thought that all of the money we would save would go fully into the NHS. Some probably will once we have left fully in around 2019.
- Immigrants who have a job lined up inside the UK will still get a job but it opens it up to the whole world for the job not just Europeans so we can get the best of the best if they're willing to come.

Why not have a third and a forth referendum? :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
There is no could be about it, it already has.

I meant that UK could not exist as a unit of British countries anylonger. That is not official yet. But if this goes on, it will in the future. Sooner or later.
You could pass a motion condemning the referendum vote in your Student Union?
Reply 72
Original post by Craig1998
I thought people had to stay here for a lot longer than a year to be able to vote, can anyone back this up. Thought it was nearer to 10 years or something like that.

In order to vote you needed to have an UK citizenship and one of the requirements is you need to have lived here for 5 years.
"What can we do to stop Democracy?"
Original post by DorianGrayism
Parliament which is overwhelmingly pro remain.

Having said that....I don't think they will.

Even they won't be that stupid. This vote illustrated their democratic illegitimacy.

More than 50% of the electorate voted against all four of the main Westminster Parties on more than a 70% turnout.

They don't represent even half the country (who bother to vote) yet have probably 75% of the MP's.

If you wanted a greater illustration of the rottenness of today's parliamentary democracy and the two party first past the post system, this is it.

Brexit is only the start. We need root and branch reform of our whole democracy to get this country back on its feet.
Original post by generallee
Even they won't be that stupid. This vote illustrated their democratic illegitimacy.

More than 50% of the electorate voted against all four of the main Westminster Parties on more than a 70% turnout.

They don't represent even half the country (who bother to vote) yet have probably 75% of the MP's.

If you wanted a greater illustration of the rottenness of today's parliamentary democracy and the two party first past the post system, this is it.

Brexit is only the start. We need root and branch reform of our whole democracy to get this country back on its feet.

I mean, you know we already had a referendum a few years back to reform the voting system right?

Sadly it only enjoyed a 40something% turnout rather than 70%+.

That said, otherwise I do agree that while it was a slim majority, it is still a democratic outcome and should be honoured.
Reply 76
Original post by Craig1998
I'm talking about the Scottish overall, it was a remain majority in Scotland.

I'm English and I can't wait for you to leave.
Reply 77
Original post by lolakirk
Nobody is 'denying democracy. The referendum is not legally binding.

The battle cry of people wanting to ignore the majority
Original post by Elivercury
I mean, you know we already had a referendum a few years back to reform the voting system right?

Sadly it only enjoyed a 40something% turnout rather than 70%+.

That said, otherwise I do agree that while it was a slim majority, it is still a democratic outcome and should be honoured.

This goes way beyond Clegg's ridiculous AV referendum.

The two main parties used to represent a real choice. And they were genuine mass movements.

Now there is little to choose between them in policy terms just as they get fewer and fewer votes. Cameron could have led New Labour and Blair the Tories.

The public want immigration controlled. They couldn't be clearer, and this referendum is another (dramatic) data point. None of the major parties have offered that since, well, since Powell was politically defenestrated in the sixties I suppose.
Reply 79
Original post by ellie0497

1% isn't most
4% of remain voters are happy with the result in comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending