The Student Room Group

Is it possible to work during nursing course?

Someone could adivse? Thanks
Original post by Misiaczekxxxx
Someone could adivse? Thanks

Most lecturers won't recommend it as if you take on too much you can quickly burn out. Saying that, most people do bank HCA or agency carer jobs. A lot of people also do bar work and so on, but if you take on a job like this it's important that they are flexible with shifts as you need to have placement as your first commitment and you need to follow the shifts you've been given from them. The key is to be careful about how many hours you take on and to know when to say no.
Honestly, I would say no if you are looking for a first degree. I did a Hospitality degree originally and only worked 16 hours a week but came out with a 2:2 because I literally did not have the time to dedicate to the assignments. I'm now going to be doing Nursing this year and it'll be even harder.
Many nursing students work part time as the bursary is simply not enough to live on.
You just have to be ridiculously organised and recognise when you need time off working and save up to try and use that money on placement so you then aren't working 60 hours a week or more.
It is possible to get a good grade, you just need to be really focused and use your time wisely.
It's 3 years and it goes very quick. So don't put working before you're uni work as you will just regret it.
The key is balance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Charlotte49
Most lecturers won't recommend it as if you take on too much you can quickly burn out. Saying that, most people do bank HCA or agency carer jobs. A lot of people also do bar work and so on, but if you take on a job like this it's important that they are flexible with shifts as you need to have placement as your first commitment and you need to follow the shifts you've been given from them. The key is to be careful about how many hours you take on and to know when to say no.

How was you able to support yourself financial, if you didn't work?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Missstrawberries
How was you able to support yourself financial, if you didn't work?

I'd rather not discuss details of my financial situation, but I do work.*
Okay, because I'm thinking about doing midwifery but they have cut the funding and was really anxious when you said that most lectures don't recommend it , as i don't think I will be able to support myself
Realistically, Nursing and Midwifery courses are 'NHS jobs with training' not a breezy three years as a student.

With placements and working shifts as part of your course, you will find it practically impossible to fit anything else in during term time.
I know someone doing midwifery who works part time but it sounds like she's constantly busy and doesn't have much time for anything other than University and work. Id say if you can, save money however possible and just focus on the course because if you get a bad grade then you've just wasted all those years
As I've said previously, it is possible to work and get a good grade.
I'm currently sitting on a good grade after 2 years and I also work part time. Both alongside when I'm in class and when I'm on placement. It's all about recognising when you're needing a break and saving what you can when you can.
If you're someone who needs to put the work in (I do) then you need to organise time off to get the assignments done, revise etc and make sure you have money in the bank to live on when you do take a break.
I have found it difficult and stressful etc but the time flies in and it's only for 3 short years.
Okay thank you all for your advice :smile:
Original post by Missstrawberries
Okay, because I'm thinking about doing midwifery but they have cut the funding and was really anxious when you said that most lectures don't recommend it , as i don't think I will be able to support myself

The course is demanding on its own, especially if you've never worked 12hr shifts before or haven't worked full time, and it is difficult at times to balance work and placement which is why it's not recommended. As I said previously, the vast majority of students do work because they need to.*

Most universities do have limited hardship funds that you can apply for in an emergency depending on your circumstances, but it's not a great deal of money. I don't know a lot about the funding in England but as far as I know you can still apply for a loan instead of the bursary. Realistically whether you can manage or not depends on your lifestyle and at what sort of level you're happy living at.
Reply 12
I am because wouldn't be able to afford to live otherwise! A nurse I know recommend working in a cinema because of shifts and flexibility.
I've worked 2 jobs full and part time at same time before and can say coordinating the hours is stressful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending